Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:42 PM

91 posts, read 293,573 times

Advertisements

Hello, good City-Data people.

I'm new to Houston (been here a month) and looking for a nice rental house. I like The Heights, where I'm located temporarily, and Montrose -- any good in-the-loop nabe (don't y'all hate that word?) that's interesting but with pockets of quiet streets.

I've found a house in Bellaire. It's 1095 a month, the top of my price range, and it's a 2 bdr/1 bath. It has central air/heat, and will accept my cat. I've already applied and been accepted, but I'm wondering if it's worth the price.

It's on a wonderful block, no question, but it's an old house that hasn't really been updated, except for a new carpet. It has fairly new appliances, but only a dryer (no washer). The fixtures and cabinetry could use replacing, though they are functional.

I like the neighborhood so much, and as a single woman would feel safe there.

But would I be paying too much for too little? Should I keep looking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 09:20 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,833,551 times
Have you checked rentometer? I kept thinking maybe my rent was too high until I checked that site and discovered that my rent is right at the median for a house this size and in this location.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:33 PM

Default Woulda been nice

What a neat tool! Thank you. "Not enough data for that location," though. So, I'm still left seeking opinions!

Old 11-12-2008, 12:12 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,577,395 times
I'll not crack a lame joke for a change and just say that it sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Go for it.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:52 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,689,962 times
Cool tool!

1095 + 2BR + Bellaire, Texas = Your rent is reasonable for your area. About 64% of listings are lower priced.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:15 AM

Default what's your secret?

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Cool tool!

1095 + 2BR + Bellaire, Texas = Your rent is reasonable for your area. About 64% of listings are lower priced.
How did you get Bellaire to work? It keeps telling me "not enough data for that city"?

Old 11-12-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barackbff View Post
How did you get Bellaire to work? It keeps telling me "not enough data for that city"?
I put in what I wrote above, plus chose Tenant, naturally. I don't know why it's not working for you.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:37 AM

Default doh!

Oh! I was using the widget. Thanks so much.

And thanks everyone for chiming in. I'll post my decision in case it's helpful to posterity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I put in what I wrote above, plus chose Tenant, naturally. I don't know why it's not working for you.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barackbff View Post
Oh! I was using the widget. Thanks so much.

And thanks everyone for chiming in. I'll post my decision in case it's helpful to posterity.
No problem. And to answer your question, I'm not seeing any downsides here. It can be difficult to find a place where all the elements come together just right for you, so when you find it, hold onto it. You've been accepted, they accepted your cat, you like the neighborhood, you feel safe... what's the problem again? The stuff you mention not liking sounds like minor aesthetics that can be helped with a little creative interior decorating. I'd get a washer, go to Ikea, and call it a day.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:45 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,677,720 times
I have a question for those of you familiar with this area you are speaking of. Is that area off Belaire considered the local China Town? That is quite the fancy place over there with every Asian restaurant you can think up.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston