Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 08:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
The talk about TJ's and In-n-Out..."I miss it so much" and "why doesn't Texas have one?" ...it's just wearing a teensy bit thin on me. I'm sure they're great, but to say Texas isn't a "major player" without either of these? Mmmm...I don't think so. They're not here for a reason, obviously...yet no one can figure out what that reason is? Lots of guesses...How about, they'd never make it because we're already over-saturated with grocery stores as it is?

I ask about what TJ's has that we don't have here, and I never get a definitive answer. So, really, what is it--because we already know we have Pirate's Booty. :P ...and I already know I don't give a rat's behind about In-n-Out burger. I mean, seriously. It's Texas. We do hamburgers JUST FINE, thanks. What, do they have angels fart butter on the buns there at In-n-Out?

Did you leave your sense of humor someplace this morning? I wouldn't have put the happy faces at the end of my comment if I really thought without INnOut and TJs Texas wasn't a real player. I was making light of a subject that probably has been beaten to death. Heck, we don't even live in Texas anymore. We do visit from time to time, our DD and SIL would love to have both TJs and InNout but that doesn't mean they don't love Texas. We don't have anything close here, we love AR.

Now, at for being over run with grocery stores, I would guess you have never been to a Travder Joes. It isn't the same as a super market, not by any means. Everyplace they are located, over run with grocery stores or not, they are a huge success...

Nita

you may need to lighten up, but I do like your political views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 09:13 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,831,614 times
Quote:
The talk about TJ's and In-n-Out..."I miss it so much" and "why doesn't Texas have one?" ...it's just wearing a teensy bit thin on me.
The name of the thread is, "I miss Trader Joes."

It is SO EASY to avoid it if it bugs you!

Old 05-18-2009, 10:42 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,414,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
The name of the thread is, "I miss Trader Joes."
Topaz--there are at least three threads a month in both the Houston and Texas forums about Trader Joe's or In-n-Out. It gets tiring when you try to ask about it and can't get a straight answer. Everyone just laments. Do you all need therapy?

Quote:
It is SO EASY to avoid it if it bugs you!
Ah yes, of course. The ol' "just avoid it if you don't like it" bit. I was not expecting this kind of answer from you, though. I guess you took my post a little too personally, and for that I apologize.

Quote:
Did you leave your sense of humor someplace this morning? I wouldn't have put the happy faces at the end of my comment if I really thought without INnOut and TJs Texas wasn't a real player. I was making light of a subject that probably has been beaten to death. Heck, we don't even live in Texas anymore. We do visit from time to time, our DD and SIL would love to have both TJs and InNout but that doesn't mean they don't love Texas. We don't have anything close here, we love AR.

Now, at for being over run with grocery stores, I would guess you have never been to a Travder Joes. It isn't the same as a super market, not by any means. Everyplace they are located, over run with grocery stores or not, they are a huge success...

Nita

Egad! I am sorry if I targeted your specific post; honestly, though, you're not the first to come through saying such things, so please accept my apologies for singling your post out. I had smilies too, in my post; I think we can both see how that can be misinterpreted.

You are right in that it is a topic that has been beaten to death--hence my views. I of course mean no offense to the...ah...throes of Trader Joe's fans out there...

Quote:
you may need to lighten up, but I do like your political views.
Well, I appreciate that. ...I think.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
(...just as an aside, this seems to be the kind of answer one receives when asking about TJ's, hence my frustration. )

Old 05-18-2009, 12:08 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,127,271 times
Quote:
(...just as an aside, this seems to be the kind of answer one receives when asking about TJ's, hence my frustration. )
TJ's has their own label products of high-quality tasting frozen foods, sauces, condiments, drinks, pre-packaged nuts, pastas, cookies, salads, microwaveable fresh foods, and a unique array of ethnic foods that just aren't available anywhere else at the same prices.

The great thing about TJ's is that if I had an impromptu get-together I could easily pop into TJ's and buy any number of items and have a wonderful spread - without any major prep without spending a fortune.

I CAN find some similar products at the Marketplace or Whole Foods but it's notably more expensive from my perspective (not to mention that the SL WF is an hour away from me).

The bottom line for me is that I miss the quality of their unique products at reasonable prices and some of their offerings that just can't be found - I've looked at all the local markets, Hubbell & Hudson and haven't tasted the same quality at comparable prices.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:15 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,505,712 times
That Hubbell & Hudson place isn't going to last long in this economy.

Samp, you can get to the WF on Wilcrest in less than 40 minutes if you go out the back way of TW to 249 to the Beltway aad exit Westhiemer. It's a haul, but I feel for you and the produce up there. ICK.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
TJ's has their own label products of high-quality tasting frozen foods, sauces, condiments, drinks, pre-packaged nuts, pastas, cookies, salads, microwaveable fresh foods, and a unique array of ethnic foods that just aren't available anywhere else at the same prices.

The great thing about TJ's is that if I had an impromptu get-together I could easily pop into TJ's and buy any number of items and have a wonderful spread - without any major prep without spending a fortune.

I CAN find some similar products at the Marketplace or Whole Foods but it's notably more expensive from my perspective (not to mention that the SL WF is an hour away from me).

The bottom line for me is that I miss the quality of their unique products at reasonable prices and some of their offerings that just can't be found - I've looked at all the local markets, Hubbell & Hudson and haven't tasted the same quality at comparable prices.
I guess I just don't see how that's different from HEB (a nice one, like Bunker Hill or Vintage Market) Spec's downtown, or Rice Epicurean. I dunno...? Central Market is so frickin' expensive, so I can see how anyplace would be cheaper than that...LOL!

So is Trader Joe's like a Spec's? Small? Large? Is it ALL their label, or is it other stuff too?

Old 05-18-2009, 12:51 PM

So, I went and did a google search for "Trader Joe's what's the big deal" and OMG you should have seen the links that came up I had to laugh at that, because at least I'm not alone in my wondering.

I did come across this sweet little vid:
YouTube - If I Made a Commercial for Trader Joe's

I kinda get it--it's really more the atmosphere (cute BTW), IMHO, b/c we have all of that stuff here...except maybe Sunflower Seed Butter--and that's just me saying I haven't seen that. Price I am guessing on, because I couldn't see prices on most of the stuff in the video.

Anyway, I can see why one would like a cute little place like this. It reminds me a bit of Seeker's. I miss that place!

Old 05-18-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I guess I just don't see how that's different from HEB (a nice one, like Bunker Hill or Vintage Market) Spec's downtown, or Rice Epicurean. I dunno...? Central Market is so frickin' expensive, so I can see how anyplace would be cheaper than that...LOL!

So is Trader Joe's like a Spec's? Small? Large? Is it ALL their label, or is it other stuff too?
It's other stuff, too. And one of the differences with TJs, is that they are not just in 1 location (once established in city of certain size) like some specialty markets (I'm thinking H&H in TW).

It's still different from one of the "nice" HEBs because you cannot buy the same type of quality things at comparable prices.

It's not all their label - they carry other labels as well.

I don't know what else to say that will satisfy the questions of people who've never been to one. It's a different experience. And it's just something some of us miss. When I left San Antonio and moved to Buffalo several years ago, my new friends/colleagues wanted to throw me into Lake Erie for all my complaining about the lousy grocery stores and missing HEB, Taco Cabana, Alamo Cafe, EZ's, TX BBQ - all the stuff I loved while living in SA.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
So, I went and did a google search for "Trader Joe's what's the big deal" and OMG you should have seen the links that came up I had to laugh at that, because at least I'm not alone in my wondering.

I did come across this sweet little vid:
YouTube - If I Made a Commercial for Trader Joe's

I kinda get it--it's really more the atmosphere (cute BTW), IMHO, b/c we have all of that stuff here...except maybe Sunflower Seed Butter--and that's just me saying I haven't seen that. Price I am guessing on, because I couldn't see prices on most of the stuff in the video.

Anyway, I can see why one would like a cute little place like this. It reminds me a bit of Seeker's. I miss that place!
Atmosphere? Meh. Not to me. I don't see anything great about the atmosphere - that's not what I miss. I don't like that TJs has narrow aisles and it's ALWAYS crowded. But that's just my personal quirk. I still shopped there.

But as far as finding the same stuff here - not really. It just doesn't taste the same and honestly, I've looked for some of the same products. Have found similar yes - but not the same taste & not the same prices.

LOL - it is what it is.

I will always miss TJs and if I was ever to leave TX again, I would probablyl miss HEB Marketplace and Taco Cabana again.

A little OT: but I miss being able to order a lettuce-wrapped burger from In-n-Out (no bread!) and I miss the fresh-cut fries. YUM. As far as the actual burger patty goes, Sonic fits my cravings just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston