Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 07:44 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,413,094 times

Advertisements

I think the facts given on CD are usually pretty accurate. People don't tend to "sugarcoat" and that is always a good thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 07:53 AM

16 posts, read 43,733 times
Some of you are missing the point, I did not intend to create another trafic discussion here, there are plenty of those.\

My point was, that while on the forum you can think that West Pearland is a landfill and a trafic jam, in reality it is a gorgeous place to live and no one here is talking about land fills or trafic.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:03 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,413,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesfed View Post
Some of you are missing the point, I did not intend to create another trafic discussion here, there are plenty of those.\

My point was, that while on the forum you can think that West Pearland is a landfill and a trafic jam, in reality it is a gorgeous place to live and no one here is talking about land fills or trafic.
Your last sentence in your first post was : What do you think?"
You may not agree with with all the opinions, but it is what poeple think.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:18 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,824,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Your last sentence in your first post was : What do you think?"
You may not agree with with all the opinions, but it is what poeple think.
Yes, why ask what we think in one sentence and tell us how inaccurate our opinions are in another?

I joined this forum when we were considering a cross-country move, and I'm still here a year later because I have found the info to be extremely helpful and it is fun to keep learning about Houston and the surrounding regions.

Regarding Shadow Creek Ranch, my husband and I got lots of face-to-face opinions from people about it when we were considering moving there. The word-of-mouth opinions matched the CD opinions. But I'm glad you are happy living there...that's all that really counts, right?

Old 04-26-2009, 08:21 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,490,620 times
Every area in Houston has a reputation/stigma/nickname/ for one thing or another, positive or negative. I think CD's Pearland opinions reflect the general, regional view point of it very well.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:31 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,051,551 times
Quote:

I think it is both: a gorgeous, affordable place to live, and a traffic jam. I had a hard time balancing the two when I was considering moving there.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:19 AM

480 posts, read 1,698,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I don't know anyone who lives at SCR, but the traffic there is not good and is getting worse. Yes, I drive around/through there. Plenty of times I've seen the 518 exit at the evening rush backed up for a quarter mile. Usually I'm just passing through, but I've even resorted to driving in using Cullen to avoid all that if I have to be somewhere in Pearland.
This is a good example of how posts here at City-Data can be misleading. I understand the poster of this had good intentions, to share a personal experience, but it is misleading because (as other posters mentioned) there are projects now underway to alleviate some of the traffic problems in west Pearland.

Quote:
I would like to add to my previous post, that people are moving in here on a daily basis. And there are several gorgeous new subdivisions being built. Which says something about this place.
I totally agree with this. I live in Southern Trails, just south of Shadowcreek Ranch, and you would not really know there is a recession going on based on the home sales we've had in 2009. We are seeing a huge influx of professionals that work in the med center and downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanTex View Post
I think it will help, but I still think they've overbuilt the developments on FM518... two traffic lanes in each direction was very bad planning, and they don't have any room to expand (at least on the east side of 288).
As you said, that problem is east of 288. West of 288, the 4-lane Broadway/518 has been built with plenty of room to add more lanes, when the time comes.

Quote:

Again I agree. However, I still urge people not to buy on the far west side of Shadowcreek or Southern Trails (Enclave), because you can smell the landfill from over there. Stay east of Kingsley Drive (County Rd 48) and you will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Every area in Houston has a reputation/stigma/nickname/ for one thing or another, positive or negative. I think CD's Pearland opinions reflect the general, regional view point of it very well.
Perhaps. But there was alot of bias against P-land in the not too recent past, especially when Mr. Jean and his buddies were on that crime spree last winter. How much serious crime have you heard about in P-land since he and Mr. Leddet were captured?

It's just a shame what a couple of thugs can do to hurt an areas overall reputation (given the fact that the media is going to hype it, too).

Regards, Tim

Old 04-26-2009, 12:28 PM

488 posts, read 1,383,177 times
Have to agree with the OP. Moving from the UK all you ever hear is 'Katy, Katy, Katy' with an occasional 'Woodlands but the commute is awful' thrown in. We also moved to Pearland but over the other end just off the Pearland Parkway. DH spends less time in the car here than he did in the UK and although I agree that the Town Center can be busy it is no busier that Aberdeen was back in the UK on a weekend.

I would encourage everyone to do lots of research (and driving) before deciding where to settle. We looked in every direction Katy, Cypress, Kingswood, Clear Lake, Pearland. The only area we missed was Sugarland as we decided that would be DH's furthest commute.

My husband employs people from all over and it's intersting how nationalities seem to bank together. All the Finish people at his work live in Clear Lake and all the Brits are in Katy.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:57 AM

36 posts, read 74,903 times
Yup, gotta remember many people here have the mindset of a stay-at-home mom or fatso 'having the time of their lives' in midtown. "WestParkinglot" tollway - I find that to be an exageration

Old 04-27-2009, 12:07 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,706,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by our_truth View Post
Yup, gotta remember many people here have the mindset of a stay-at-home mom or fatso 'having the time of their lives' in midtown. "WestParkinglot" tollway - I find that to be an exageration

I too feel this forum paints a good picture of what newcomers can expect when moving to Houston.
The OP said that Pearland is gorgeous....that may be a tad of an exageration. Don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston