Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 02:25 PM

36 posts, read 74,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
I too feel this forum paints a good picture of what newcomers can expect when moving to Houston.
The OP said that Pearland is gorgeous....that may be a tad of an exageration. Don't you think?
That really depends on many things. People migrate from 3rd world/developing countries, from Detroit, and island nations you know. People on this forum maybe be 'accurate' only on giving inputs for other Texans. Possibly people from outside Texas see a real tough highschool is the best for their kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 02:49 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,379 times
You're absolutely right. It's all about perspective. If the OP is from a 3rd world country than it is fair to say Pearland is gorgeous!

Old 04-27-2009, 03:21 PM

16 posts, read 43,736 times
I moved from NYC which in some ways could pass for a 3rd world country.

What I reffer to in Pearland is the Shadow Creek Ranch, Southern Trails area which are beautiful, of course not East Pearland.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:24 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesfed View Post
I moved from NYC
...and so the traffic in Pearland is no big deal to you. Makes sense.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:55 AM

488 posts, read 1,383,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesfed View Post
I moved from NYC which in some ways could pass for a 3rd world country.

What I reffer to in Pearland is the Shadow Creek Ranch, Southern Trails area which are beautiful, of course not East Pearland.
Careful buddy I stay at Lakes of Highland Glen off the Pearland Parkway [East Pearland] and it is also gorgeous.

However I do apprecaite that the new Town Centre and shops at the top of Business Center Drive are much nicer than those down here. On the other hand I can nip along to Friendswood which is lovely or to Baybrook Mall quicker than you .

Old 04-29-2009, 11:18 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,147 times
East Pearland may not be that pretty but it retains its value and the schools are better.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:37 PM

480 posts, read 1,698,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
East Pearland may not be that pretty but it retains its value and the schools are better.
There is also less crime in east Pearland.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:39 PM

34 posts, read 101,696 times
I can attest that the CD is not always accurate. We came to Pearland concerned about the dump and traffic but felt from the post that the schools were great. We haven't noticed the dump at all. We had to drive to find it and still couldn't tell too much. We live close to 288. Traffic IS bad at times because the red lights are so long. Sometimes...no a lot of times...you have to wait for the light to go through several cycles before you can go west on 518 from Business Center Drive (HEB). It is quicker to drive into Houston than into Pearland (east).
SCR and Southern Trails are pretty for new developments. Trees are still relatively small. While it is pretty it seems to lack some community glue for family activities. Everything is so spread out. While it may be closer for work to downtown/TMC, if you do any activities you have lost the advantage.
However, we have been disappointed with the schools. It seems more focused on discipline than academics in the middle/high schools. We're looking to move to a more established community like First Colony in Sugar Land. East Pearland seems a bit nicer (I think the schools are better) but older. Friendswood has good schools but it is further to drive.
This is only my opinion and many may differ from me but the schools were my top priority. Then I would be able to post a newbie (to Houston area) opinion of Sugar Land.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:35 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
I like East Pearland much more than West. As far as "beautiful being an exaggeration," I'll put it this way - beautiful is where you choose to live and are the happiest. Beautiful is different to everyone.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:48 PM

16 posts, read 43,736 times
Some newly elected members to the school board are very determined to shape it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston