Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:26 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,867,431 times

Advertisements

This reminded me on the Spanish Flu where up to 100 Mil. people died world wide.

1918 flu pandemic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 11:28 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,140,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Not a good comparison. The bird flu has not made the jump where it is transmissable human to human, the swine flu has.

BTW there was just a major earthquake in Mexico City to add to their woes.
Never did I say I was comparing the two flus. I was showing how the MEDIA hyped up the bird flu.

And the human-human transmission will happen with bird flu...just give it some time. Mutations are a nature's wonder!

Again per the CDC:
How does swine flu spread?
Influenza viruses can be directly transmitted from pigs to people and from people to pigs. Human infection with flu viruses from pigs are most likely to occur when people are in close proximity to infected pigs, such as in pig barns and livestock exhibits housing pigs at fairs. Human-to-human transmission of swine flu can also occur. This is thought to occur in the same way as seasonal flu occurs in people, which is mainly person-to-person transmission through coughing or sneezing of people infected with the influenza virus. People may become infected by touching something with flu viruses on it and then touching their mouth or nose.

What do we know about human-to-human spread of swine flu?
In September 1988, a previously healthy 32-year-old pregnant woman was hospitalized for pneumonia and died 8 days later. A swine H1N1 flu virus was detected. Four days before getting sick, the patient visited a county fair swine exhibition where there was widespread influenza-like illness among the swine.
In follow-up studies, 76% of swine exhibitors tested had antibody evidence of swine flu infection but no serious illnesses were detected among this group. Additional studies suggest that one to three health care personnel who had contact with the patient developed mild influenza-like illnesses with antibody evidence of swine flu infection.

Last edited by lhafer; 04-27-2009 at 11:37 AM..

Old 04-27-2009, 12:07 PM

469 posts, read 1,452,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post

Mexico has a very very large poor population, where good hygiene isn't their top priority.Do your due diligence and wash your hands. Stay home if you think you are sick. Don't be around others who are ill. It's not that difficult to keep yourself healthy. I work in a hospital with lots of contagious diseases (from RSV, to colds, to whooping cough, to pertusis, to Tuberculosis, to Chicken pox...you get the idea) and I have never once been infected by one of my patients. That's because I wash my hands (and use a mask when necessary). Plain and simple.
YES, that is key. I see so many people leave the restroom or touch something gross like garbage and they don't even bother to wash their hands afterward. In my EMT class I took, they said that washing your hands is the number 1 prevention of illness.
It is hard to belive in this day and age that there are still digusting people out there who do not do this simple and necessary thing.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:12 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,140,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
It's here already. But I wouldn't get too worried about it yet. Read the sciguy blog over at the chron.com... it should set your mind at ease.
The 2 Texas cases were near San Antonio. Not in here.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:12 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P View Post
YES, that is key. I see so many people leave the restroom or touch something gross like garbage and they don't even bother to wash their hands afterward. In my EMT class I took, they said that washing your hands is the number 1 prevention of illness.
It is hard to belive in this day and age that there are still digusting people out there who do not do this simple and necessary thing.
We walked out of a restaurant about 3 months ago, because my husband followed one of the cooks/chiefs out of the restroom and he saw he never bothered to wash his hands! GAG! We had already ordered...but paid for our drinks and left! Told the Mgr. on the way out.
I'm sure this happens more than any of us even want to think about!

Old 04-27-2009, 12:28 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,447,102 times
Quote:
The 2 Texas cases were near San Antonio. Not in here.
True for the two confirmed and REPORTED cases.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:28 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:

State# of laboratory confirmed cases:
California 7 cases
Kansas 2 cases
New York City 28 cases (um...what's going on here?!?)
Ohio 1 case
Texas 2 cases
Total Count: 40 cases
(information was updated one hour ago from CDC website)

It is a private catholic high school that recently returned from a spring break trip to Cancun. The story I read said some of the students family members were showing signs of being sick w/ the flu. However, so far the only cases in that region are from this one school that is now closed for the entire week.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:00 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
It is a private catholic high school that recently returned from a spring break trip to Cancun. The story I read said some of the students family members were showing signs of being sick w/ the flu. However, so far the only cases in that region are from this one school that is now closed for the entire week.

Also, apparently only 8 of the 100 or so sick students had been tested at first. They are now getting back tests from the rest of the students and family members.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:23 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

Actually, I just got back from the doctor's office (diagnosis: bronchitis - yay me ) and was told that I do NOT have swine flu (not that I asked).

Apparently, they are getting bombarded with people coming in thinking they have swine flu when they don't. Hopefully, it will not become a pandemic.

Last edited by houstoner; 04-29-2009 at 09:25 PM..

Old 04-27-2009, 04:23 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Apparently, they are getting bombarded with people coming in thinking they have swine flu when they don't. Hopefully, it will not become a pandemic.
Great. Now the doctors offices are going to run out of the test for the flu because everyone is going to run to have it done the second they sneeze, cough, burp, pass gas, etc.

Bad time of year for the flu to be going around. Too many people w/ allergies right now that might think they have the flu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston