Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 03:04 PM

104 posts, read 136,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Wow, I didn't realize Louisiana and the Deep South was that international, and nearly half Hispanic.
There are many places that are international yet hold dearly to their traditional roots. I think Montreal, Quebec would be a good example. Making a place international does not change the status quo.

Of course Houston I know is quite different.
Houston truly is a very welcoming city with some of the best people Ive ever met...but it doesnt change the fact that it is part of the Deep South.

I dont know if you are bothered by that but it is certainly not West Texas. The Deep South is steep in rich history and culture. Many Houstonians are from places such as Lufkin, Beaumont, Orange..and of course Louisiana. When I think of such towns I think of baseball games and Sunday picnics with enough sweet tea to go around. Southern gentility with a good ole mix of southern hospitality The Deep South is and always will be what makes Houston what it is.

PS
Do you know how many people from Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana come to Houston? They would not come unless it felt just like home. Southerners like that familiarity.

Last edited by Lauren_Ashley; 06-01-2011 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 03:46 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,850,558 times
Quote:
Wow, I didn't realize Louisiana and the Deep South was that international, and nearly half Hispanic.
Atlanta is international, and is rapidly gaining more and more Hispanics.

I agree with what's being said. None of this has anything to do with Houston being southern.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:50 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlyn&Matt View Post
I dont know if you are bothered by that but it is certainly not West Texas.
It doesn't bother me and I didn't say that. I just partially agree/disagree with you, after my own personal experiences and reading history & anthropology books.

Quote:
Do you know how many people from Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana come to Houston? They would not come unless it felt just like home. Southerners like that familiarity.
BS. They come here for work to feed their families, to escape mediocrity (and poverty) just like everyone else who comes here.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:59 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,917,316 times
Quote:
There are many places that are international yet hold dearly to their traditional roots. I think Montreal, Quebec would be a good example. Making a place international does not change the status quo.

Of course Houston I know is quite different.
Houston truly is a very welcoming city with some of the best people Ive ever met...but it doesnt change the fact that it is part of the Deep South.

I dont know if you are bothered by that but it is certainly not West Texas. The Deep South is steep in rich history and culture. Many Houstonians are from places such as Lufkin, Beaumont, Orange..and of course Louisiana. When I think of such towns I think of baseball games and Sunday picnics with enough sweet tea to go around. Southern gentility with a good ole mix of southern hospitality The Deep South is and always will be what makes Houston what it is.

PS

I don't know where you're from---but Houston is NOT the "Deep South". Definitely southern. Definitely "echoes" of the deep south here and there--but the city itself is a mixture of Texas, Louisiana, and a whole lot of everything else.

It's not Chicago or LA by any stretch of the imagination--but it's not the Deep South, either (and they didn't start serving sweet tea here until relatively recently).

Old 06-01-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
It doesn't bother me

It doesn't bother me and I didn't say that. I just partially agree/disagree with you, after my own personal experiences and reading history & anthropology books.

BS. They come here for work to feed their families, to escape mediocrity (and poverty) just like everyone else who comes here.

All in all Houston is the Deep South. There is no use trying to get around that. Look at the politics and policies of our state and city. Listen to our radio stations, especially talk radio.

Sure they may come here for better opportunities but they are certainly bringing their culture with them. In actuality they dont have to because the Deep South culture is embedded right here. Sure more Nigerians, Sweds, Celts, and Blacks and Blues and Browns and can flood into the city...buy homes and consume their way into the American fabric but Houston will always be the Deep South. I am sure Wal-Mart, McDonalds, HEB, XYZ Church and XYZ plumbing will welcome their dollars into the city but it doesnt change the culture of the city.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
I don't know where you're from---but Houston is NOT the "Deep South". Definitely southern. Definitely "echoes" of the deep south here and there--but the city itself is a mixture of Texas, Louisiana, and a whole lot of everything else.

It's not Chicago or LA by any stretch of the imagination--but it's not the Deep South, either (and they didn't start serving sweet tea here until relatively recently).
Lol...echoes of the Deep South? What type of hooded language is that? Louisiana is the Deep South. I dont know what images are conjured up in your mind but it is definitely not only Southern but the Deep South.

Southern is like Arkansas/Oklahoma and sounds too light and airy to describe the likes of Houston with many of its "natives" coming from Beaumont, Lufkin and the Piney Woods of East Texas.

Its like when you travel to a foreign country and have to adjust to the little idiosyncrasies. As much as you may try to shake or disguise it, it is all around you like the air you breathe. You cant stuff it away in a suitcase and pull it out when around your friends and family. It is what it is and its not fooling anyone. Be proud about being a part of the Deep South...and if there is something that you are ashamed of for some weird reason work to change it and stop trying to hide under a banner of "international-ness" because it aint working.

Last edited by Lauren_Ashley; 06-01-2011 at 04:48 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 04:48 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
All I have to say is that I echo what Malvie just said. Houston Is not the deep south. Also, regarding Louisiana, only Southern Louisiana is related to Houston. Not Shreveport, Monroe, or Alexandria. Buy Lake Charles, Baton Rouge, and a hint of New Orleans and Lafayette.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
All I have to say is that I echo what Malvie just said. Houston Is not the deep south. Also, regarding Louisiana, only Southern Louisiana is related to Houston. Not Shreveport, Monroe, or Alexandria. Buy Lake Charles, Baton Rouge, and a hint of New Orleans and Lafayette.
Houston is the Deep South. What do you consider Northern Louisiana to be by definition? If Southern Louisiana aligns culturally/historically with Houston then there isnt even an argument that the East Texas/Louisiana is the Deep South.

Not that I would ever use Wikipedia as my source but I think this map provides a simple breakdown of what is consider to be the Deep South

File:Map of USA Deep South.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I disagree though, I think once you get past the Balcones Escarpment and the Texas Hill Country you are pretty much out of the Deep South Territory.

Last edited by Lauren_Ashley; 06-01-2011 at 05:06 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 05:03 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Houston is the Deep South. What do you consider Northern Louisiana to be by definition? If Southern Louisiana aligns culturally/historically with Houston then there isnt even an argument that the East Texas/Louisiana is the Deep South.
I'd consider Northern Louisiana far more deep south than Southern Louisiana and especialy Houston. Culturally, Southern Louisiana is different than Northern Louisiana. That's me personally.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'd consider Northern Louisiana far more deep south than Southern Louisiana and especialy Houston. Culturally, Southern Louisiana is different than Northern Louisiana. That's me personally.
I seriously think you are splitting hairs when it comes to Northern/Southern Louisiana. What makes Southern Louisiana not part of the Deep South culture?

I've been in certain parts of Southern Louisiana and in all honesty do not see what you are trying to say. Southern Louisiana is shrouded in it...maybe not as much as other parts but it is still there.

What makes Southern Louisiana not part of the Deep South at all in your opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston