Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 06:19 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I MUCH prefer the ocean here in Florida, the water is the right color...there is no unsightly smell...thanks but Galveston is NOT for me.
No unsightly smell on Florida beaches? Sure. They do have red tide and it can be HORID! Then there is the issue of parking to be able to use the beaches in a good majority of places in Florida. Or lets see you can go enjoy the beach while the group of 100 next to you use it as their weekly bath, ewww. Galveston is fine. You can go to some of the beaches along the Atlantic and Pacific during spring break and it is too cold to even sit out on the beach w/o a jacket. If you want to swim you have to hope the hotel/condos have a heated pool and use it. I've been to the California beaches too. Yea, it is funny how you can't get the Cali's to even admit to the problems w/ the beach closures due to the bacteria levels being so high. How gross. I'll swim w/ the seaweed anytime over crap (pun intended ). Which btw, only at certain times of year is the seaweed a problem. Whereas in Galveston it is warm enough to swim in the gulf and the pool and yet it cools down at night (fyi, that warm climate that keeps the gulf waters warmer is also what permits the seaweed to grow). Galveston may not have pristine beaches and water like some other places but it ain't trash. Prices of real estate in Galveston have gone up in the last 4 years quite a bit.

Instead of trashing Texas and it's beaches why can everyone not just admit that they ALL have their issues that are not so pleasant yet they all offer something that can be very enjoyable.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:20 AM

321 posts, read 1,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
No unsightly smell on Florida beaches? Sure. They do have red tide and it can be HORID! Then there is the issue of parking to be able to use the beaches in a good majority of places in Florida. Or lets see you can go enjoy the beach while the group of 100 next to you use it as their weekly bath, ewww. Galveston is fine. You can go to some of the beaches along the Atlantic and Pacific during spring break and it is too cold to even sit out on the beach w/o a jacket. If you want to swim you have to hope the hotel/condos have a heated pool and use it. I've been to the California beaches too. Yea, it is funny how you can't get the Cali's to even admit to the problems w/ the beach closures due to the bacteria levels being so high. How gross. I'll swim w/ the seaweed anytime over crap (pun intended ). Which btw, only at certain times of year is the seaweed a problem. Whereas in Galveston it is warm enough to swim in the gulf and the pool and yet it cools down at night (fyi, that warm climate that keeps the gulf waters warmer is also what permits the seaweed to grow). Galveston may not have pristine beaches and water like some other places but it ain't trash. Prices of real estate in Galveston have gone up in the last 4 years quite a bit.

Instead of trashing Texas and it's beaches why can everyone not just admit that they ALL have their issues that are not so pleasant yet they all offer something that can be very enjoyable.
Thank YOU! My sentiments exactly. Notice they are moving here or still live here too I grew up on these beaches adn believe it or not there is blue water in visual site of the beaches off Galveston.. We sail there all the time and swim with the dolphins... crystal clear blue... ty

Old 05-18-2007, 07:31 AM

My last trip to Florida was during H. Rita .... Palm Beach was filled with with NEasterners who would stand on the beach and ask... "Are there sharks in that ocean?" Hmmmm. Yes, if there is ocean, there are sharks. SO they head to the resort pool where I learn they can't even swim, so I spend my time answering questions about how to swim. When I get away to finally do laps... low and behold I find a floating brown (you know what). Some senior who could not hold it in. I was out of there.... Florida has too many boats (even dive underwater and hear recreational boat engines? I am surprized the fish are not deaf) I found florida very distasteful for any form of enjoyment. Too crowded , too busy, the Gulf dishes are watered down with less spices for the taste of people in the North. You can't tell stew from Gumbo at the restaurants that were highly recommended.

We have Xed florida along iwth Southern California off our list. California waters are too cold, beaches trashed. California's peak was the 60s and early 70s.. its gone downhills after that.... Florida followed suite., and now Arizona... Texas is next on the list.

IT was a matter of time.

Now everyone is sellling land on the coast.... Even Port Lavaca! Wait till you see Port Lavaca hehehehhe

Old 05-18-2007, 10:17 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
YettiO, ewwwwwwwww. GROSS!!! But I totally hear ya. I've been to just about every coastal part of Florida and had relatives that thought they wanted to retire there move down and came back in a years time. For soooo long all they talked about was getting out of Texas (natives) and moving to Florida and the beaches. So they bought a brand new $300+K home and sold it for double and then the bottom fell out. All they did was complain about the hurricanes, nothing but crotchety old people, not really "active" or friendly, red tide, alligators in their yard. They are back and said they are NEVER moving again. LOL!!!

What cracks me up is the fact most people don't realize that there are no beaches in the Florida Keys. Key West has Smathers Beach but that is it and it is dinky and did not look that pretty or well kept. South Beach in Miami, crowded and can't even find a parking spot. So you have the beach and ocean but turn around and you have 30+ story old apartment buildings housing the elderly. woo-hoo, whoop-do-dee. Ft Lauderdale, better. Palm Beach a little better. But parking is still an issue unless you stay ON the beach. It can also get crowded. Key Biscayne, could be soooo pretty if it were not for the hordes of people there that looked like they were setting up camp for the entire extended family for several days and treating it like the water was for bathing. Ewwww. Then the gulf part.......... Destin, OMYGOSH, if you like feeling like your in a can of sardines I guess it's okay. I prefer a little space between me and the people beside me. No such thing as taking a queit walk down the beach here. A few areas in either direction are better and not as built up. If I'm on the coast on the Atlantic I prefer Hilton Head. Unlike Florida they restrict that structures must be on the back side of the sand dunes. So it is a walk to the beach but you don't have people on top of people destroying the natural habitat. Plus the sand is hardpacked and you can bicycle on it .

I can not believe how much Galveston has built up and the prices have shot up. I don't even want to imagine some of the other areas along the Texas coast that I have not been to in a few years.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:19 PM

7 posts, read 26,171 times
Hmm, gritty town, soupy brown water, and the same hot, muggy weather as Houston. Galveston does have some interesting history, though.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:00 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
http://petrix.com/beaches/best.html

Interesting how none of the top 10 beaches for 2006 are in Texas...

http://petrix.com/beaches/previous.html

List of previous winners, no Texas beaches again

http://petrix.com/beaches/walking.html

Best Walking Beaches

http://petrix.com/beaches/wild.html

Best wild beach lists ONE Texas beach, Padre Island

http://petrix.com/beaches/romantic.html

Best romantic beaches

http://petrix.com/beaches/nightlife.html

Best nightlife...ONE beach in Texas South Padre

http://travel.yahoo.com/beaches

Top ten of the WORLD, two in Florida, NONE in Texas.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:37 AM

19 posts, read 88,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgedropper View Post
lol!! I'll take galveston every single time.

Check out these pics in dead of winter in Galveston: http://imagician.zenfolio.com/p72515451/ (broken link)

pics of early March in Galveston: http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/...howtopic=10179

pics of a few of the homes in Galveston's historic districts :http://imagician.zenfolio.com/p372505168/ (broken link)
the pictures in these posts really change my image of galveston. I guess I've been going to the wrong places in Galveston.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:14 PM

Mom I agree.... Florida and California were great in their heyday 1970s were the last great times for those states.......but its all trashed out now...Filled with 3rd world Borat types who believe the films they watched from Holleywood.

Texas next I fear. We have been watching Arizona and giving Eulogies for the once great state, now filled with baby Millionairs from California real estate... We got a few here ourselves... Look at River Oaks and Memorial..You can pick them out.l.. they have multimilllion dollar houses with their car on jacks in drive way Hehehehe We had a few.. Its like the Beverly Hillbillies.

I really don't care if people move here or not. California is frantically advertising to get people to move there.... Like the ads for "THE VILLAGES" in Florida on tv . "LIVE like a millionaire on your retirment income" they advertize.... Have you seen those ads? I wisit another senior place where a friend of ours retired at 55.. He is moving... The place had guards , we had to show our dirvers license... 2x when I forgot my scarf... it was like a prison... He wanted fruit trees but the senior community bans them... they cannot use their artificial lakes ... its like a fancy sanitarium... We got out as fast as our rental car could take us... Its like your parents said.. OLD GRouchy people on a fixed income who are always whining... Hence the recount on the Presidential voting.

We went there 2 yrs ago and I doubt I will return to florida except the airport to get somewhere else. The place is tooo nasty especiallly socially. FLorida is FLAT hence the hurricanes are horrific.... Some woman and man were picking up their aged mother who wanted out after the last several hurricanes ROFLMAO! What do these people think? They see Disney World and think they are going to be ENTERTAINED AT 24/7. Many southern cities have been plagued with retirees who have frozen realestate taxes and run the school system down. THey buy huge anti bellum homes and have no $$ to fix it up... they just love they made an initial bundle on their overpriced California or NE homes... Things are changing though. In 10 yrs Houston will have caught up on the home situation.

Oh there was one older woman.. not too much older than me who was on a Scooter... Dont get me started on Scooter people. Granted some do need them but way too many do not... FLorida is scooter city... This woman took a scooter to the bar and ate this huge nasty Hotdog and several beers.... No wonder she was so overweight and needed a scooter.. but then she gets up from the bar and walks to the scooter... She was decked out in gold neck chains... That is the first sign!!! When I see those people with too deep tans and neck chains I run !!!!!!!!!!!!! She got her count it... 3rd husband to buy her a house near Disney world. with a tropical pool with plastic stones and a giant mosquito net around it.... and she scooters around. She had nothing until she found this 3rd chump in Chicago.. Now she is bored. LOL Too many Cheap cruise ship trips... But speaking of cruise ships.. I hear its cheaper to just keep going on one cruise ship and another as an elderly person.. .they have a full time doctor.. you are servicec out of the gazzooo , food is provided 24/7 and its much cheaper than a nursing home. Not a bad way to spend you last years.. You are entertained at 24/7...with mindless entertainment..esp as they old grey cells start fading.. like mine!

I say the hurricanes are too good for those who move into coastal territory with such naivity and then complain Nothing like a good hurricane to clean a place out! Wait till Houston gets one that really comes through.. I 59 and I10 will be packed !!!!!!!!!!! Going OUT!

I talked to his one Czech guy who came to USA a few years after the Iron Curtain fell. He had enough $$ to get to Hawaii.... he was arrested for public intoxication for passing out on the beach... his response was .. These paradise islands are NOTHING.... all it is ..is small land surrounded by water... you can't even drink on the beaches ROFLMAO!!!!!!! This is the Euro <blank> coming in from these 3rd world countries.

Give me Galveston any day of the week! The solitude is most excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
YettiO, ewwwwwwwww. GROSS!!! But I totally hear ya. I've been to just about every coastal part of Florida and had relatives that thought they wanted to retire there move down and came back in a years time. For soooo long all they talked about was getting out of Texas (natives) and moving to Florida and the beaches. So they bought a brand new $300+K home and sold it for double and then the bottom fell out. All they did was complain about the hurricanes, nothing but crotchety old people, not really "active" or friendly, red tide, alligators in their yard. They are back and said they are NEVER moving again. LOL!!!

What cracks me up is the fact most people don't realize that there are no beaches in the Florida Keys. Key West has Smathers Beach but that is it and it is dinky and did not look that pretty or well kept. South Beach in Miami, crowded and can't even find a parking spot. So you have the beach and ocean but turn around and you have 30+ story old apartment buildings housing the elderly. woo-hoo, whoop-do-dee. Ft Lauderdale, better. Palm Beach a little better. But parking is still an issue unless you stay ON the beach. It can also get crowded. Key Biscayne, could be soooo pretty if it were not for the hordes of people there that looked like they were setting up camp for the entire extended family for several days and treating it like the water was for bathing. Ewwww. Then the gulf part.......... Destin, OMYGOSH, if you like feeling like your in a can of sardines I guess it's okay. I prefer a little space between me and the people beside me. No such thing as taking a queit walk down the beach here. A few areas in either direction are better and not as built up. If I'm on the coast on the Atlantic I prefer Hilton Head. Unlike Florida they restrict that structures must be on the back side of the sand dunes. So it is a walk to the beach but you don't have people on top of people destroying the natural habitat. Plus the sand is hardpacked and you can bicycle on it .

I can not believe how much Galveston has built up and the prices have shot up. I don't even want to imagine some of the other areas along the Texas coast that I have not been to in a few years.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:20 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
Also, schools in Galveston are discovering shrinking enrollment figures.

On Galveston Island, GISD plans to close an elementary school and turn two 6-8 school and 1 7-8 school into 5-6 school, a 7-8 school, and a 5-8 magnet school.

Oh, and the Galveston Island elementary schools will go only to 4th grade.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:13 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,781 times
After reading all this, Galveston doesn't sound like a place I would want to call home.

Last edited by Roma; 05-21-2007 at 07:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston