Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 09:36 PM

433 posts, read 1,929,669 times

Advertisements

We need to get my girls bunk beds. I would like solid wood, if possible not pine (too soft). I'm also leery of particle board after my furniture was in a flood one time.

Is pottery barn kids a good brand or are you paying for the name?
We have a 25 year old Ethan Allen bunk bed set for my son that is solid oak and still in great condition.... I'm looking for something like that.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 10:03 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,668,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama View Post
We need to get my girls bunk beds. I would like solid wood, if possible not pine (too soft). I'm also leery of particle board after my furniture was in a flood one time.

Is pottery barn kids a good brand or are you paying for the name?
We have a 25 year old Ethan Allen bunk bed set for my son that is solid oak and still in great condition.... I'm looking for something like that.

Thanks!
Although I have never purchased any of their (pottery barn) kids furniture I would say you are paying for the name. Some of there home furnishings seem to not wear well with ADULT usage and kids tend to be much harder on things in general.

Ethan Allen, I have found to be very good quality but I have not purchased anything from them recently.

Quality furniture is becoming difficult to find these days..

Best of luck.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:47 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,601 times
I made one which is pretty solid (made from 2x4s) and everything is padded and with high quality upholstery material, even the underside of the top bed and the headboard. but i believe what makes a good bed is the mattress and I'm not liking the spring mattress in twin size

Old 12-07-2009, 08:40 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,084,120 times
i got my sons bed from gallery, but not bunks. if i remember right they had a pretty good selection. i wonder about their new store, seems to be a little more "high end" over in the galleria area.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:05 AM

381 posts, read 1,233,862 times
I have to say, I am not that impressed with pottery barn furniture.....Crate and Barrel has their kids department, Land of Nod - they have one set of bunk beds in store...

Other suggestion would be Baby and Kids 1st furniture - both my kids have furniture from there - and have been very pleased.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:51 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,335,877 times
i have no idea. but its so weird, i was just marveling at how my old bunk bed which is like 20+ years old is still solid and usuable at my mom's house.

Last edited by recuerdeme; 12-07-2009 at 10:05 AM..

Old 12-07-2009, 10:01 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times
They make everything with cheap veneer these days at those mass furniture stores... the "high end" one are just sas bad. It's just higer end veneer.

I ordered white pine,bunk log beds, Northern Woods/ Minnesota style, for a bunk room. Very nice, high quality, so heavy and solid they will be there 100 years from now. It's a little rustic, but I'm very pleased with them.

Either that, or find old ones on Ebay

Old 12-07-2009, 12:23 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,051,124 times
We had a couple of old wooden bunk beds from a friend... 30 years old. They still look great, but they had slats underneath to hold the mattresses... jump on the top one too hard and the slat would fall through onto the kid in the lower bunk. Just bought a metal one from Ikea for $169 and I am really pleased. It is solid, and very safe. Ikea may have a reputation for junk, but they take kids' safety seriously. Sounds like it's not what you have in mind, but might be worth a look.

They have a wooden one, as well, but the one in the showroom was wobbly. I thought it seemed pretty flimsy.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:22 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,748 times
I am constantly seeing top quality bunk beds/baby cribs, etc., on Craigslist. Go gently used, you will be able to afford the good stuff (solid wood) without breaking the bank.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:53 PM

363 posts, read 1,145,983 times
Have you looked at Star Furniture? We got a very nice (all wood) bedroom set for my child there. Very solid, good quality...Pottery Barn-like, without the cost. I liked it because it is sophisticated enough to grow with the child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: