Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:49 AM

23,973 posts, read 15,078,314 times

Advertisements

Most people do not spend 20-30% of their income on Starbuck's. We do not have a lifetime relationship with coffee or wine. I am not referring to inspectors employed by builders. That's kinda like pitchers umpiring. Wine at Spec's is one thing. A restaurant has to purchase, store, serve, provide glasses and clean up. That's why the extra. Most humans need shelter. We can live without wine in a restaurant. I doubt anybody on this forum resents people making a fair wage. We live in a free enterprise economy. The problem with this case is that Perry Homes did everything they could to avoid doing the right thing. That process was helped along by their purchase, by means of PR and politicians, the structure that is supposed to protect us all. Builders included. What happens if the builder fails to meet the IRC. What is the penalty? What is the remedy? What recourse does the buyer have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 08:39 AM

687 posts, read 2,128,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
but then again we do not know what the problems where with the house, how do we know the home owner didnt cause the foundation issues? watering your yard to much, watering your foundation, did they add a deck? change the drainage in the yard? who knows. we dont know what perry did to try to remedy the issue before offering to buy it back?
I agree with Rigas. I've heard stories from the other perspective (builders) about the clients that purchase homes but didn't do anything to maintain them. Of course, when things break down, or leak, the builder is blamed. Re: cracks -- I've seen one of those topography maps of the Houston area, and there are faultlines everywhere throughout Houston, with some places much more tracked with faultlines than others, but all places had faultlines. This naturally causes the land to shift over time, and contributes to cracks in walls, if the north side of your living room is shifting one way, and the south side is shifting the other!

A house, like a car, needs regular maintenance, and even then, some things are unavoidable based on your location. I think the important thing is to have realistic expectations about your house, and to be a diligent homeowner and maintain your home.

That said, there ARE bad builders out there, just as there are bad doctors and bad mechanics and bad apples in every profession. I feel sorry for people that unwittingly do business with these types, because it can be a nightmare.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:53 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Most people do not spend 20-30% of their income on Starbuck's. We do not have a lifetime relationship with coffee or wine. I am not referring to inspectors employed by builders. That's kinda like pitchers umpiring. Wine at Spec's is one thing. A restaurant has to purchase, store, serve, provide glasses and clean up. That's why the extra. Most humans need shelter. We can live without wine in a restaurant. I doubt anybody on this forum resents people making a fair wage. We live in a free enterprise economy. The problem with this case is that Perry Homes did everything they could to avoid doing the right thing. That process was helped along by their purchase, by means of PR and politicians, the structure that is supposed to protect us all. Builders included. What happens if the builder fails to meet the IRC. What is the penalty? What is the remedy? What recourse does the buyer have?
yes i realize these things are not apples to apples, dollar for dollar, but they are in the same boat as it is all business. so you complain that a builder is building for $50 and selling for $100 as if they should be selling for less, then complain that the product you are getting is not to standards? if the builder is going to make less money then why would be spend more to make the quality better? come out of la-la land and step into the real world on this one.

how do YOU know what perry homes did to make things right? i mean when your house was screwed up had the builder offered to buy it back for what you paid, i am sure you would have GLADLY taken it.

if i a builder does not meet irc standards they can not legally close on the home. as for inspectors hired by the builder, who else would inspect? a state run agency? ahhh yes lets build the govt bigger because 10 out of every 1000+ homes has some issues, and 10 out of every 100,000 homes is very bad, and 10 out of every 10,000,000 is not safe. good call on that one.

bottom line, i read to many people bashing builders around here and 95% have no idea or experience other then "my builder didnt do what i wanted on this or that", stop crying, stop trying to take them down, home builders like them or not provide you and me with an opportunity. for me work, for you a roof over your head, if you knew how it works, if you knew what you where talking about, YOU WOULD BUILD YOUR OWN HOUSE!

but hey, i dont know anything im just some ******* who "works for the builders so surely i will side with them".

Old 03-09-2010, 09:09 AM

Read the interviews. The house heaved in the middle when it was less than one year old. Many states require soil sampling and foundations created to comply with existing conditions. In Texas, they just set the forms on the ground and pour concrete. These folks did everything they were supposed to do, and they won all the way up the case. Perry Homes got smacked for arrogance. Sure, some folks ignore normal maintenance. That is not what this is about. Not everyone who has a beef with a builder is taking advantage off or just fell from a turnip truck. You subs would do well to rid your industry of the bad apples rather than telling the rest of us we are money grubbing parasites. Perry and Weekley found it easier to buy the system than do the right thing. One of these days, they will be bitten in the arse. I for one can't wait because that kind of behavior diminishes us all.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:24 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Quote:
Read the interviews. The house heaved in the middle when it was less than one year old. Many states require soil sampling and foundations created to comply with existing conditions. In Texas, they just set the forms on the ground and pour concrete. These folks did everything they were supposed to do, and they won all the way up the case. Perry Homes got smacked for arrogance. Sure, some folks ignore normal maintenance. That is not what this is about. Not everyone who has a beef with a builder is taking advantage off or just fell from a turnip truck. You subs would do well to rid your industry of the bad apples rather than telling the rest of us we are money grubbing parasites. Perry and Weekley found it easier to buy the system than do the right thing. One of these days, they will be bitten in the arse. I for one can't wait because that kind of behavior diminishes us all.
Thank you. You said it better than I could. I do want to add to it one thing: Not all buyer's inspectors are a "joke". Most of the contention between the buyer's inspectors and the builders is that the inspectors catch the mistakes and the builders have to rectify them. To be fair, there are building superintendents that will gladly take that inspection annd cheerfully work with it. Others, not so much.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:

once again you show little knowledge of how construction works in the state of texas.
builders DO take soils tests, they do have an engineer design per testing, and they do build per code. the same code that every other builder in every other state has to follow, IRC is not a state of texas thing it is a national thing. the states do not require the soils testing, or the designs to be built a certain way, IRC does.

while you might know about having a home fall apart on you, you do not know how construction works or how builders work obviously.

an indy inspector will come in and make a list, and it is at the builders discretion to work off of that list. if the insp calls out things that are not in the normal scope of work or are not code violations then the builder is not required, either by law or company policy in most cases, to repair them. i have seen many insp lists, i have seen legit items, and i have seen ridiculous items as well. most inspectors TRY to be fair, and most TRY to be stringent at the same time, and most items go unfixed as they are not code violations.

once again, if you want a perfect house, hire the trades, and build it yourself. if you cant do that for lack of funds or lack of knowledge, then your right to complaint is minimized.

obviously those who continue to complain about builders are just blind to the real world of construction, or have an ax to grind, to those i say, good try.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:09 PM

Golly, Rigas calm down. Do you expect all home purchasers to know the intricacies of how to build a house? Are you telling me that if I only have $250000 for my home that all I deserve is crap? Does God love me less because I'm poor? What's up with this? Reminds me of the time I thought it was my civic duty to by a non gas guzzling car. Like a fool we got a Volkswagon Dasher. That car had the same kind of problems many Toyota owners are experiencing. I sped up to enter I45 south at 1960 and thought I was gonna end up in Galveston bay. It would not stop, even when I turned the key off. Just kept going. At first I did think it was my fault. Then my neighbor, a race car driver, had the same problem with it. The service manager at the dealer told me that if I wanted a reliable car I should have bought a Porsche. Are you saying that only well off people have a right to expect to get a decent house and if I can't afford a custom house I have no rights? I might as well stick my head in the oven now.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Golly, Rigas calm down. Do you expect all home purchasers to know the intricacies of how to build a house? .
this is exactly my point! thank you for making it for me. as i stated the majority of home buyers do not know much of anything about their home other then "it looks PRITTTTTYYYYY" and yet they call out builders for silly things because they dont know any better. if you know nothing about how the codes work, then why would you call out someone who works under then daily? if you know nothing about how to put a roof on and keep it from leaking then why would you call out a company that puts them on thousands of homes a year?

you see this is what pisses me off, uneducated (in construction) people who automatically assume that if something goes wrong then their builder is 100% at fault.

someone mentioned the culls took perry to arbitration with all the information at hand, but all an arbitrator is, is a glorified lawyer. he doesnt know any better then the culls what is wrong or what can, should, or would be done to rectify the problem.

you talked about how your house was bad, and the builder took 3 yrs to fix it. did he do nothing? did he avoid your calls? did he tell you he would do nothing? or did he actually make an attempt? did he try to fix things? home construction is not an easy business to be in, it is not an easy business to make money in, and it is not all about easy fixes either. some problems can be masked, some can be hidden and difficult to find. i have a customer of mine who builds about 2-3 custom homes a year. i help them out with things outside of just concrete as well as do their concrete work. i was contacted last month about a house they closed on about 6 months ago. they had a leak they could not find. it didnt happen all the time, and not even every time it rained. they found that the hot water heater in the attic had a loose fitting that only leaked with heavy use. they tightened the fitting, Teflon taped it and everything. after all that time they finally call me to ask if i had an idea what the problem could be. after looking, i suggested they had leaking flashing at the upstairs balcony. they proceeded to tell me how it didnt leak when it rained. i suggested they contact leak locators of texas which they did. LLT came out and found the hot water heater was faulty, AND the balcony was leaking. they replaced the heater and ripped up the tile, re flashed the balcony and retiled it. they have run water on the balcony for a week nearly none stop and no leaks now.
turns out they had more then one problem and both where easy fixes. the home owner cussed them up and down and threatened legal action over the deal even while the builder was doing everything in their power to fix the problem. where they bad builders? NO. had they ever had problems, NO. they have built maybe 20 homes that i have done for them, and 1 had problems. they have a black eye from it now and it was very simple to fix once they knew what the problem was.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,359 times
Default Perry Homes - Poor Plumbing Issue

Perry Homes Plumbing Issues

I have an issue that just popped up after living in a home for about 7 years. We have an upstairs bathroom that is rarely used and thought we had a case of a dried out wax ring and discovered it had never been sealed AT ALL. Of course Perry Homes doesn't want to warranty this doesn't fall within the warranty period. If it was a case of it drying out and cracking, I would understand. Since the problem is completely obvious, I would have hoped they would give more consideration to helping me resolve the problem.

Are there any groups out there that you all know of that could help me push this? I would rather start there instead of with an attorney, but I am definitely going to push this because it's not right. We've actually fixed a few plumbing issues in this house ourself, but this one was major enough that we want them to take care of it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:11 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
7 years is a bit long for a complaint...unless you can prove damage started about 7 years ago and compounded to the point that now you can see it. With that time frame Id go through insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston