Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 09:51 PM

193 posts, read 436,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Have you noticed yet that Texas doesn't have Trader Joes, either?
I've missed TJs more than I thought I would. We had my father in law bring us a few bottles of Charles Shaw when he visited list month. We hardly drink wine, but we always had a few bottles around the kitchen. Something seemed to be missing without them.

Unfortunately I've heard that they will refuse to do business in any state where there are liquor restrictions like we have here.

Don't get me wrong, I love Texas but I miss a few of those places.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:45 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassino View Post
I've missed TJs more than I thought I would. We had my father in law bring us a few bottles of Charles Shaw when he visited list month. We hardly drink wine, but we always had a few bottles around the kitchen. Something seemed to be missing without them.

Unfortunately I've heard that they will refuse to do business in any state where there are liquor restrictions like we have here.

Don't get me wrong, I love Texas but I miss a few of those places.
This is also what I heard from a friend who is a Vegas TJ's wine buyer a couple of years back. I was checking to see if he had any insider info and that's about the gist of it from what he told me.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:04 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Is it that people get defensive or merely tired of seeing the same topic every other month?

Old 03-07-2011, 11:07 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Is it that people get defensive or merely tired of seeing the same topic every other month?
It's defensive. If they were tired of it, they would just ignore it. Then again we see the same ol' posts about "Where is a safe place for us to live that has homes <200k, 3000+sf, in a great school district inside the loop?" and "Sugar Land vs Pearland...where should I live?" and "Is The Woodlands really snooty?". We're sick of 'em but we still reply. Go figure.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:18 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Dave Letterman, log ago, used to have a laugh about the name of the place, so when I went to LA once, I tried it. I went a couple more times in different cities, but still, I was not impressed; it was messy too. I guess I brought into all the hype.
their burgers are okay but it is not all that. It tastes better than Burger King or Jack in the Box, but that is not saying much.

I have only eaten there on road trips and only because my companions wanted to go. If one was to open in Houston I doubt I would go out of my way to eat there.

It is easily one of the most over-hyped fast food places out there. I guess it is so because of their limited coverage area. I remember my friend was going all crazy because Chipotle was coming to her city. They don't have anywhere near the best burritos, but she was excited because it was something she had regularly when she was in Houston.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:22 PM

53 posts, read 208,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
It is easily one of the most over-hyped fast food places out there.
Agreed and I'll add Freebirds is hype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I remember my friend was going all crazy because Chipotle was coming to her city. They don't have anywhere near the best burritos, but she was excited because it was something she had regularly when she was in Houston.
True but their bowls are the best.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:26 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crye View Post
Agreed and I'll add Freebirds is hype.

True but their bowls are the best.
I am not a fan of freebirds either.

well I should not be criticizing, I am not a fan of fast food or chains.

I don't really like beef burgers but I do enjoy tasting burgers made from weird stuff like Bison. That is why I didn't mind paying the ridiculous prices for burgers at Fudruckers

Old 03-07-2011, 11:29 PM

554 posts, read 1,197,154 times
I am sorry to hear that my fellow Californians feel unwelcome in Houston. Sounds very hostile...."California way of thinking"??? WTF? I would hope you all have simply come across a few narrow minded jerks. I should think a city the size of Houston is more open minded and accepting of people than that.

I have lived here in the Dallas area for six years and I, as well as other Californians I know, have been embraced and feel quite welcome. Move up here! Shoot, IN-N-OUT is moving in!!!

Below is a photo of the Frisco location on 3/2/11:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IN-N-OUT 3:2:11.jpg
Views:	2020
Size:	461.0 KB
ID:	76711

They aren't playing around. This has gone up SO FAST! Shouldn't be long now!

Old 03-07-2011, 11:31 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Then again we see the same ol' posts about "Where is a safe place for us to live that has homes <200k, 3000+sf, in a great school district inside the loop?" and "Sugar Land vs Pearland...where should I live?" and "Is The Woodlands really snooty?". We're sick of 'em but we still reply. Go figure.
At least with relocation topics, each individual has some needs/wants that are distinct from others who posted the same basic question.

In this case, it's just bitching that they don't have something they used to have back home.
It's no better if a Texan goes to California and asks why they don't have Whataburger.

It all leads to meaningless homering and hyping up the home team, and when we're talking about fast food burgers, it's never going to live up to the hype.
I'm sure I'd hit up an In-N-Out if it's good (and I'm suspicious when regional chains start expanding - I have never heard good things about Whataburger locations outside Texas). I don't think I'll be standing in line for two hours. At that point I might as well just go to the store and pick up what I need to make a better burger than any of the places that have been or will get mentioned here and/or in the other 206 or so INO threads.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:33 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
I am sorry to hear that my fellow Californians feel unwelcome in Houston. Sounds very hostile...."California way of thinking"??? WTF? I would hope you all have simply come across a few narrow minded jerks. I should think a city the size of Houston is more open minded and accepting of people than that.

I have lived here in the Dallas area for six years and I, as well as other Californians I know, have been embraced and feel quite welcome. Move up here! Shoot, IN-N-OUT is moving in!!!

Below is a photo of the Frisco location on 3/2/11:
Attachment 76711

They aren't playing around. This has gone up SO FAST! Shouldn't be long now!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston