Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 08:28 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,040,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
What you don't apparently see is that the focus HAS changed here, ...

Crime still happens, as it does with any city, but our levels here are at historical lows. We have more businesses downtown now than at any time over the last 30 years and downtown living is making a big comeback. These things are already in the process of taking place. And while I'm sure if the opportunity exists to improve the infrastructure of WV 2, our leaders will do what they can to support it. But at the same time, they aren't going to sit around waiting and complaining for the state to do something, they are going to work on the things we can control. Many such initiatives have been started by the residents here through Create Huntington simply by coming up with an idea and being connected to the resources to make it happen. Route 2 expansion would be nice but the Ohio River would be just as good for the transportation of the materials you are talking about. Probably more efficient too. Ashland Oil ships products up sand down the river every day and the river never needs to be widened or repaved. Where there's a will, there's a way.
I'm not disagreeing with anything you said in the above paragraph except the last 3 sentences. You see... that material can be loaded onto the Ohio River from anywhere along that body of water. For Huntington to make it happen there, there needs to be an efficient way to get it to Huntington. That has to be via highway and/or rail. The former requires a substantial upgrade to WV 2. If that doesn't happen, much of the river activity will take place on the Ohio side, where they have better roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 08:37 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,242 times
Along those lines, a quicker route to Parkersburg and a direct route to Wheeling connecting it to the rest of the state (I'm sure that everyone can agree with this point) would be nice. BUT that is for another thread.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Along those lines, a quicker route to Parkersburg and a direct route to Wheeling connecting it to the rest of the state (I'm sure that everyone can agree with this point) would be nice. BUT that is for another thread.
Why is that for another thread? It is directly tied to Huntington's future prospects. Most of the oil and gas resources are located well north of there. They have to have a way to get those resources to Huntington from Chester and Parkersburg.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Why is that for another thread? It is directly tied to Huntington's future prospects. Most of the oil and gas resources are located well north of there. They have to have a way to get those resources to Huntington from Chester and Parkersburg.
I was more referring to the connection of Wheeling to the rest of the state is for another thread. I believe that the development of route 2 is something that the state should really consider looking into for many reasons. However, I do not believe that Huntington's future lies in the Northern end of the state.

Huntington is in the process of reinventing itself. To what that may be exactly, I am not 100% sure. I know that the goal is to be much more of an independent entity. Leeching off of the success of the North 100-200 miles away) won't take those in Huntington very far. Huntington has an identity of its own and it needs to continue developing it (this is vague, but I implore anyone reading this to make an inference by referencing the above comments).

In short, Route 2 is something that I believe should be developed into an interstate-level highway (WV needs to do this before Ohio does it on their respective side). On the other hand, though the development of Route 2 will be good for the local economy, it will not bring the kind of growth that those in Huntington are looking to achieve.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
I was more referring to the connection of Wheeling to the rest of the state is for another thread. I believe that the development of route 2 is something that the state should really consider looking into for many reasons. However, I do not believe that Huntington's future lies in the Northern end of the state.

Huntington is in the process of reinventing itself. To what that may be exactly, I am not 100% sure. I know that the goal is to be much more of an independent entity. Leeching off of the success of the North 100-200 miles away) won't take those in Huntington very far. Huntington has an identity of its own and it needs to continue developing it (this is vague, but I implore anyone reading this to make an inference by referencing the above comments).

In short, Route 2 is something that I believe should be developed into an interstate-level highway (WV needs to do this before Ohio does it on their respective side). On the other hand, though the development of Route 2 will be good for the local economy, it will not bring the kind of growth that those in Huntington are looking to achieve.
Route 2 goes all the way from Huntington to Chester. The jury remains out as to whether or not those in Huntington have enough insight to see that they need to be better connected with the northern areas, where the gas and oil resources are located and being developed. I believe that, if they do, they will prosper. If they don't, it will be more of the same old same old and they will be tread water indefinitely. They have irrationally pinned their hopes on converting Marshall into something it is just not cut out to be, and efforts to do that have done damage to the school in the process and done little to benefit the town. Marshall is not close enough to major population centers to be a clone of WVU, nor does it have the innate resources, such as the Land Grant connection, to do so in any case. If they shifted their efforts to getting better connected to the northern areas, and allowed Marshall to focus on their core strengths, that would actually pay off for them.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:08 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,948,424 times
Very well said Pynball. Huntington is forging its own path and that's the way it should be. We create the type of Huntington we want rather than waiting on something else that may or may not materialize and we have no control of anyway. How well we do that will be Huntington's future.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Very well said Pynball. Huntington is forging its own path and that's the way it should be. We create the type of Huntington we want rather than waiting on something else that may or may not materialize and we have no control of anyway. How well we do that will be Huntington's future.
Yes, yes, and yes. I do have faith in our state, but Huntington needs to work with what it is given. If funding is for some reason taken away from the city, then I am confident that the city will find a way to make it work.

I must write a disclaimer: I am only this confident because of those currently running the city. I feel that Huntington has finally lucked out on the some good leaders that will take it in the right direction.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:14 AM

The Tri-State Region

I thought that I would mention other parts of the Tri-State as the OP was to curious about their development as well.

Huntington's Ohio-Suburbs
Burlington, Fairland, South Point, Chesapeake, and especially Proctorville will experience some growth. Proctorville has some of the best housing stock in the area and will probably have a significant increase in population and commercial activity.

One thing that this area has to look forward is the completion of the Route 7 highway from Chesapeake to Proctorville. How long this will take to happen or even if it will, is up for debate. This will probably take some traffic out of Huntington's center, but it will be good for the Ohio-side for sure.

Keep an eye on South Point as well. I think that it will begin to show some good growth. It is the Tri-States center point and acts as a suburb for Huntington, Ashland, and Ironton. I'm not sure if this will ever happen or if anyone has ever thought about it, but I believe that a vehicle bridge connecting South Point to Ceredo-Kenova is something that will not only be beneficial to the area. This is long overdue.

Barboursville, WV
This area is primed for major growth (relatively speaking of course). It has been growing for years now and will continue to do so. This is for good reason as well. The amenities in Barboursville rival that of any place "within" the state. Housing stock in between Barboursville and Milton is now and will also continue to increase.

Ceredo-Kenova, WV (and Catlettsburg, KY)

As previously mentioned, recent developments in Prichard, WV have put the Ceredo-Kenova (CK) area in a great position. With hundreds of jobs coming to Prichard, employees will have to find lodging. Being that Prichard is quite small and only 20 min away, CK is just an ideal location for future employees. There is cheap housing with enough amenities for everyday life. Living in CK, people will be able to travel to work in a more than reasonable time and have access to everything that Huntington has to offer, including the mall (also only 20 min away). The CK-area population will increase. I am confident about that much for sure. Honestly, all of this can be applied to Catlettsburg as well.

One thing that I have been curious about is why these two municipalities have not merged into one town. They might save money by consolidating certain services. They might also receive more money by being a slightly larger presence in Wayne County (keeping in mind that Kenova is already the largest town in Wayne county; this is only considering that Westmoreland is a neighborhood of Huntington). Who knows...something along these lines may happen in the next 20 years.

Ironton, OH
As the smallest of the three main cities in the Tri-State, Ironton receives the least amount of attention, but I would not overlook Ironton in the years to come. It is a well planned out city with symmetric city blocks, much like Huntington. I would even say that it has two-thirds (2/3) the infrastructure that Huntington does, but only in this regard. It can support a lot of growth and is another likely spot that many in the Tri-State may choose to live. Keep in mind that anything located in Ohio is a likely place for incoming people to live for multiple reasons, which I will not discuss, but should be mentioned. Also, do not forget that Ironton has its own 4-year institution. While, I can't speak for its quality of the school, I know that it has grown recently and slight growth is certainly possible in the future. It would be great to see them implement some sports programs into the school. I would support their team(s) and I am sure others in the Tri-State would as well.

Ashland, KY
Ashland has not always had the best leadership and hopefully this will change; I cite the relatively empty Kyova Mall for anyone who may think otherwise. On the other hand, Ashland has a lot of things going for it. First, it is in the Tri-State area and tons of people commute between Ashland, Ironton, and Huntington. Second, a lot of people work at the Oil Refinery in Catlettsburg, a major source of jobs. Lastly, King's Daughters Medical Center is one of the largest, if not the largest employers in the area. It is also a great hospital with some of the best heart care in the nation.

I believe that in the next 10 years, Ashland's growth will be limited. However, in the next 20 years I optimistically predict that Ashland will begin to become revitalized. I anticipate that this will most likely occur by strengthening their downtown living. They already have an arts plaza and the Paramount is massive asset where some of the biggest country acts in the nation come to every year. The city needs to give people a reason to not just visit downtown, but the desire to stay there.

Well that's all that I've got for now...

Old 12-15-2013, 02:05 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,873,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Probably wiped off the map with no jobs, crime, and drugs. I saw on the news this morning for four people was shot and one killed. Good lord the state of WV just needs to go, there aint a thing there except the above mentioned. Shoot Huntington wont ever get any better only worse, people in WV don't want progress they just want the same ol crappy things as before. Give the people of Huntington a new restaurant and they think they have REALLY done some thing. Heaven forbid anyone bring business, things to do and so on, my my that may actually make it a big city and make it a place worth living in, oh heavens no don't want that. It's a poor city, in a poor state with poor broke trashy people....it will never get any better. So my answer is I bet if I come back to Huntington in 10 years it will still the the same crap but a different day, but more then likely worse. Downtown Huntington looks like a dang ghetto, but shoot that's basically all it is now, and probably all it ever will be. You can put in 10 new restaurants and some silly dog park but really, it's just a joke...Huntington has no idea what progress even is. I think any part of WV esp in that area is just going to get worse. Man CK is just turned into trash the Mexicans and the blacks are starting to ruin it. Not that it wasn't ruined before with drugs and gossip, but it was better then having the trash move in. Barboursville is pretty nice but I was noticing a change before I moved, and the trash from Huntington was slowly creeping up there and I was noticing a difference in some parts. I don't have a sunny outlook at all for the state of WV and least of all Huntington, but it's a cycle and poor is poor and it won't change until the peoples / governments / business owners thinking does and I doubt that will happen any time soon.
Nice to see that not only do you hate wv but you also hate blacks and Mexicans. Why you are going on this tirade anyone else you want to hate on?

Old 12-15-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Nice to see that not only do you hate wv but you also hate blacks and Mexicans. Why you are going on this tirade anyone else you want to hate on?
Is that the same guy from Clemson whose only purpose is to rag on people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington