Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 04:03 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Thanks to Tim for posting the bowl logo. Curse, we do have a GottaHerdOn here somewhere. Having Jack Lengel be an honorary captain was a classy thing to do. I was a student at Marshall when he was the coach.

This was a good win for Marshall, and almost the entire team comes back next year.
They'd better hope that if they play a BCS level team, it has 30% of its starters sidelined with injuries like Maryland. I will say this though. It does appear Doc is finally starting to learn how to coach. With his obvious recruiting acumen, he will become a valuable commodity if this keeps up. Another 9 or 10 wins at Marshall, even with their totally cupcake schedule, and they won't be able to keep him in Huntington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 05:24 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
That is highly unlikely. West Virginia played a FAR tougher schedule, and the Maryland team they faced in September was radically different than the injury plagued one that played yesterday. Marshall played 2 BCS level teams this year including this game. They lost to the first one, and beat the 6 loss one.

Remember, Marshall just lost to Rice, then they had 3 full weeks to prepare for this game, which was their Super Bowl. Maryland didn't even want to be there. With all the injuries their team had I'm surprised they even showed up.
WVU lost to cupcake KANSAS and Iowa State, which would have made WVU bowl eligible.

Maryland 37
WVU 0

Marshall 31
Maryland 20

Marshall lost to Virginia Tech early in the season in OT, Maryland beat Virginia Tech 27-24 at Lane Stadium in OT just a over a month ago. Marshall clearly has a better quarterback, better coaching, and better winners mindset than WVU did this year. WVU didn't have the killer instinct, a decent quarterback, and unbelievably poor coaching and player prep. This was Marshalls year and it just wasn't in the cards for WVU.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
WVU lost to cupcake KANSAS and Iowa State, which would have made WVU bowl eligible.

Maryland 37
WVU 0

Marshall 31
Maryland 20

Marshall lost to Virginia Tech early in the season in OT, Maryland beat Virginia Tech 27-24 at Lane Stadium in OT just a over a month ago. Marshall clearly has a better quarterback, better coaching, and better winners mindset than WVU did this year. WVU didn't have the killer instinct, a decent quarterback, and unbelievably poor coaching and player prep. This was Marshalls year and it just wasn't in the cards for WVU.
Well, Will... if you think playing in a 3rd. Tier bowl game and beating a 6 loss team makes it Marshall's year, who am I to argue with you? Glad that provided you with so much excitement. WVU has participated in 11 bowl games during the past 12 years, and won 3 BCS bowl games in the process. While doing that, they defeated the conference champions of the SEC, Big XII, and ACC, the last one breaking all BCS records for convincing victories. Marshall beat a 6 loss team that didn't even resemble the team that program had at the beginning of the season, but if moral victories are your thing, I guess you hit a home run.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Well, Will... if you think playing in a 3rd. Tier bowl game and beating a 6 loss team makes it Marshall's year, who am I to argue with you? Glad that provided you with so much excitement. WVU has participated in 11 bowl games during the past 12 years, and won 3 BCS bowl games in the process. While doing that, they defeated the conference champions of the SEC, Big XII, and ACC, the last one breaking all BCS records for convincing victories. Marshall beat a 6 loss team that didn't even resemble the team that program had at the beginning of the season, but if moral victories are your thing, I guess you hit a home run.
I'm not denying WVU has had it's greatest run possibly ever over the last 10 years, I'm just saying this season only Marshall would have beaten WVU. Marshall beat a team by 11 points that beat that WVU by 37 points and even shut WVU out.

I'm more of a WVU homer than a Marshall Herder, and even I have to admit Marshall has a better team at this point in time than WVU.

A congratulations to another in state team that had greater success this season over our state land grant university is order.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
I'm not denying WVU has had it's greatest run possibly ever over the last 10 years, I'm just saying this season only Marshall would have beaten WVU. Marshall beat a team by 11 points that beat that WVU by 37 points and even shut WVU out.

I'm more of a WVU homer than a Marshall Herder, and even I have to admit Marshall has a better team at this point in time than WVU.

A congratulations to another in state team that had greater success this season over our state land grant university is order.
Will, there is no basis for saying Marshall would beat WVU. There is just no valid comparison. I'm not saying that to knock Marshall, but they spent most of the season playing against the Sisters of the Poor, and when they did play Maryland, that team was literally riddled with injuries. West Virginia showed it could play with the big boys, and did so against OK State and Texas. Marshall didn't face anything like that sort of competition all year long.

The answer to the question is not "Marshall would have beaten WV this year". It is which West Virginia team would have shown up for the game... the one that beat Oklahoma State or the one that lost to a stronger Maryland team, or it is which Marshall team would have shown up... the one that just lost to Rice, or the one that scored 11 more than a Maryland team decimated by injuries. In spite of what Marshall fans would like to make of this, there is just no way to tell.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:13 AM

4,959 posts, read 8,955,150 times
Please, let's stop the bickering and speculation. This thread was started to celebrate Marshall's win in the Military bowl. If you want to belittle Marshall, head on over to the WVU Rivals forums. There are plenty of threads over there about Marshall you can chime in on.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Please, let's stop the bickering and speculation. This thread was started to celebrate Marshall's win in the Military bowl. If you want to belittle Marshall, head on over to the WVU Rivals forums. There are plenty of threads over there about Marshall you can chime in on.
Nobody is belittling Marshall, but there are folks associated with a point of view who are choosing to use this game to belittle WVU. It is appropriate to respond to that when it is done. Read the posts above. There is no reason to even mention WVU in this thread.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:24 AM

4,959 posts, read 8,955,150 times
Quote:
be·lit·tle transitive verb \bi-ˈli-təl, bē-\
: to describe (someone or something) as little or unimportant
Such as acting like Marshall winning this bowl was no big deal or that Maryland was somehow a cupcake.

I agree no reason to mention WVU, which is why I asked to stop the bickering and speculation. The WVU fans brought up WVU, not the Marshall fans.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Such as acting like Marshall winning this bowl was no big deal or that Maryland was somehow a cupcake.

I agree no reason to mention WVU, which is why I asked to stop the bickering and speculation. The WVU fans brought up WVU, not the Marshall fans.
I have no doubt winning this game was important to Marshall fans. The depth of Will's fandom of the Mountaineers could be debated after his posts above. In any event, I don't disagree with your post here.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I have no doubt winning this game was important to Marshall fans. The depth of Will's fandom of the Mountaineers could be debated after his posts above. In any event, I don't disagree with your post here.
I call it like I see it, if I love you or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
View detailed profiles of: