Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 11:29 AM

4,959 posts, read 8,955,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesee View Post
ahh..Tim to the rescue!
We seriously need that tour of your town when we hit!
Whenever you're ready, just let me know!

And vec, don't worry about the spiders. They tend to be in places like you said, electrical boxes etc. but you RARELY encounter them in your house. Like I said, I've lived here my whole life and only encountered black widows 3-4 times. Plus they're not real aggressive, and you're a whole lot bigger than they are any way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 10:23 PM

330 posts, read 1,314,314 times
Smile Single Woman in WVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Texasturkey, I think that you would fit in just fine here. The people here tend to be very friendly and for the most part, making friends should not be difficult, especially through church. Huntington has a LOT of churches and there are some very beautiful ones downtown and spread throughout some of the neighborhoods. You can see some in the pictures on Huntington's city-data page. In terms of being from out of town, this won't really matter in Huntington as a lot of people here are from out of town due to Marshall University and some of the larger employers like the hospitals, CSX, the television stations, etc. Also, make sure that you root for Marshall and WVU and you'll find plenty of friends! In terms of music, the area is home to a number of diverse radio stations that play everything from country, to rock, to oldies, classical and christian music. The local civic center also has a lot of good concerts throughout the year and many of these are country concerts. There is also a lot of live music going on during the summer through various out door concerts to some of the local live music places. Here are some links to some of the local stations so that you can listen live as well as a list of many of the churches in the area. If you would like any info on the churches, just ask and I'll do my best to fill you in on what I know. Come and check the area out and see if you like it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Hope this helps and just ask if you need anything else.
Tim

Churches
Huntington Churches in Huntington WV Yellow Pages by SuperPages

Radio Stations
WDGG - Homepage
Good Times & Great Country - 103.3 WTCR-FM!
Magic 97.9 FM (http://www.magic979.com/ - broken link)
100.5 WKEE | Huntington, WV

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your quick reply and links on WVA. Very helpful as well as persuasive! I wasn't sure how to start my own thread, so I continued with yours. I didn't know how a woman my age w/o children would be perceived in a different part of the country. I would like to move to a place where it would be better possibility to meet someone when the time is right, than here. Southern CA (LA County) isn't working for me. Like most people on this thread who are considering WVA, I would like beauty, country, nice people, slower-paced lifestyle and lower cost of living. I am still working age, and I need to consider options for employment. I am flexible and will consider different fields. I would like to plan a trip out to WVA in the fall or early winter if I can. (Airline, bus or rail). I wish I can afford the trip now. But, I can't. How is the snow in WVA? Is WVA a mountain state? Are there things about the weather I should be aware of?

Best Wishes,

Texas Turkey

Old 08-11-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasturkey View Post
Hi Tim,

Thanks for your quick reply and links on WVA. Very helpful as well as persuasive! I wasn't sure how to start my own thread, so I continued with yours. I didn't know how a woman my age w/o children would be perceived in a different part of the country. I would like to move to a place where it would be better possibility to meet someone when the time is right, than here. Southern CA (LA County) isn't working for me. Like most people on this thread who are considering WVA, I would like beauty, country, nice people, slower-paced lifestyle and lower cost of living. I am still working age, and I need to consider options for employment. I am flexible and will consider different fields. I would like to plan a trip out to WVA in the fall or early winter if I can. (Airline, bus or rail). I wish I can afford the trip now. But, I can't. How is the snow in WVA? Is WVA a mountain state? Are there things about the weather I should be aware of?

Best Wishes,

Texas Turkey

WV is full of beautiful scenery and nice people. The pace of life is much slower here than what you are probably used to in CA and in terms of cost of living, Huntington was rated by Forbes as having the lowest cost of living in the nation. Definately try to have a job lined out before you move as that would be a very stressful situation moving across the country and then trying to find a job. There is plenty of opportunity here though and at the very least you could get on with one of the man power agencies until you found something more suitable. If at all possible, I'd try to visit in the early Fall , mid-late October, if you could. We've had a fairly wet summer so the leaves should be beautiful this year when they change. Plus, if you're not used to a deciduous area, winter can seem a little dreary since the trees lose all of their color and this makes it harder to see the beauty of the area.

To your question about if WV was a mountain state, WV is THE mountain state(one of its official nicknames) as it is the only state completely within the Appalachian Mountain range. The height of the mountains vary in different parts of the state and this relates to how severe the winter weather is. Nearly all places in WV receive some snow, but the higher the elevation the more you tend to get. Huntington is one of the lower elevations in the state and the mountains here are more like rolling hills. This gives Huntingon some of the most mild winter weather in the state. We get snow here, but it tends to be 2-3 inches at a time with maybe one or two snows of less than 10 inches.

If you want to see Huntington before you come, go rent We Are Marshall with Matthew McConaughey. Most of the movie was filmed here and it has some very nice shots of the area. Hopefully this answers most of your questions and let me know if you have any more.
Tim

Marshall Movie Homepage

Old 08-12-2008, 03:37 PM

Smile West Virginia

Quote:
WV is full of beautiful scenery and nice people. The pace of life is much slower here than what you are probably used to in CA and in terms of cost of living, Huntington was rated by Forbes as having the lowest cost of living in the nation. Definately try to have a job lined out before you move as that would be a very stressful situation moving across the country and then trying to find a job. There is plenty of opportunity here though and at the very least you could get on with one of the man power agencies until you found something more suitable. If at all possible, I'd try to visit in the early Fall , mid-late October, if you could. We've had a fairly wet summer so the leaves should be beautiful this year when they change. Plus, if you're not used to a deciduous area, winter can seem a little dreary since the trees lose all of their color and this makes it harder to see the beauty of the area.

To your question about if WV was a mountain state, WV is THE mountain state(one of its official nicknames) as it is the only state completely within the Appalachian Mountain range. The height of the mountains vary in different parts of the state and this relates to how severe the winter weather is. Nearly all places in WV receive some snow, but the higher the elevation the more you tend to get. Huntington is one of the lower elevations in the state and the mountains here are more like rolling hills. This gives Huntingon some of the most mild winter weather in the state. We get snow here, but it tends to be 2-3 inches at a time with maybe one or two snows of less than 10 inches.

If you want to see Huntington before you come, go rent We Are Marshall with Matthew McConaughey. Most of the movie was filmed here and it has some very nice shots of the area. Hopefully this answers most of your questions and let me know if you have any more.
Tim

Marshall Movie Homepage
Hi Tim,

Thank you for the information about WV. I did read that the cities of Huntington, Parkersburg and Clarksburg are away from the mountains. Besides Parkersburg, Huntington, Wheeling and Charleston. The rest of the cities and towns have less than 30,000 people. A lot of small towns. Slow-paced. That is good. There are no small towns here whatsoever. Where I live now, the population is 85,000. I read that Wheeling doesn't get much snow compared to other places. I like the mountains and enjoy the beautiful snow. But, I am hesitant to driving on icy slippery roads and streets. I hope I can be prepared for it. I want to rent or buy online the We are Marshall movie. I would like to see some WV scenery.

You and others mentioned it is important to get a job lined up in WV before the move. I have tried that in the past. It didn't work well that way. I apply online, and they want to interview me in person. I need to book a flight and motel on a few days notice. I need to find my way to the interview with public transportation. Then fly home. Not practical or realistic to do that for each job opening and interview. It is the same with apartments. The managers want to see me in person to full out the application and do a credit check. Besides the $$ and stress involved. If there is a better way to do these things, I would like to know how. I thought about saving $1000-$2000 and living in a motel as I looked for employment and an apartment.

I would be looking to apply in the public sector; education, social servicies and non profit. I also have extensive experience in food service, retail and waitressing. Here, I am a Substitute Teacher in Special ED, until I get my Child Development Permit-Site Supervisor through the State. I would need to learn how to get licensed in WV. I would have to sell my car in CA. I have never driven across the country before, and I am not sure my car would make it. I will have to save $ and buy another car there. I can have my belongings shipped to WV after I settle in. If there is a better way, I would like to know how. I am still planning to visit WV. I would like to move there eventually. I hope moving across the country doesn't turn into a pipe dream. I definitely do not want to spend the rest of my life here. (LA County, CA). There has got to be a way out. I appreciate you and others taking the time to help a potential WV transplant. Thanks again for your assistance with WV.

Texas Turkey

Old 08-12-2008, 07:21 PM

With the jobs that you mentioned, I think that you would be fine getting a job after you got here. There's plenty of need for teachers and until you were able to secure a postion, there's plenty of retail and food service jobs. Here's a link for teacher certification in WV that may be helpful:

Teacher Certification

I hope this has been beneficial and let me know if there is ANY other way that I can help!
Tim

Old 08-13-2008, 09:29 AM

Smile Moving to WV

Quote:
With the jobs that you mentioned, I think that you would be fine getting a job after you got here. There's plenty of need for teachers and until you were able to secure a postion, there's plenty of retail and food service jobs. Here's a link for teacher certification in WV that may be helpful:

Teacher Certification

I hope this has been beneficial and let me know if there is ANY other way that I can help!
Tim
Hi Tim,

Thank you for the link and encouragement. Yes, it was very helpful. The good news is that WV accepts out of state permits. I will have my CD permit to teach or site supervise at a preschool, CD Center or head start program. But, I don't have my Special ED Credential. I would need to finish here or in WV. I have all the courses, but not the student teaching. Here, I applied to the ECSE program at CSUDH and am trying to get those units transferred from my previous school for the level I. I have not heard if I have been accepted yet. If I am, it will give me time to save $ and plan while getting my credential and MA in EC Special ED. Or, I will work 2 jobs until I can move. I am going to see about transition programs, alternate licensing options or other staff postions in ED in WV.

Here in CA, you need to have an extra high income to make a living at all. In the 60's and 70's people could graduate from high school, get entry level jobs and rent a place. Now, people are living with their parents until they get married, finish college or save $ to buy a house. The cost of living is so high and people are priced out. They stay here and struggle or move to another state. My friends and family want to stay here because it is all they know. They are too attached to their families. Or, don't want to quit their jobs and look for another one. Even though that might be for the best. It is a risk that they are not willing to take. They can have Southern CA. It isn't working for me. I feel like I live in a 3d world country and I am the outsider. I have other friends who moved to ID because they wanted a better quality of life for their children. I have spend 1/2 my life here and it is time to get out before it's too late. You have been a big help and inspiration to me and others on this forum. Have a great day.

Texas Turkey

Old 08-13-2008, 01:07 PM

If you would need to finish your degree, Marshall University here in Huntington has a great teacher's education program that you would be able to take advantage of. Here are a few other links that you may find useful:
Marshall University Graduate School of Education and Professional Development (http://www.marshall.edu/gsepd/mat.asp - broken link)
teacher-education

Let me know if there's any other way I can help.
Tim

Old 08-13-2008, 02:22 PM

620 posts, read 1,839,001 times
Texasturkey: I think you are doing the right thing. You only live once and why not move from somewhere you don't like. My brother is in the LA area and just hates it; he knows so many people who have sold their homes and moved to other states. CA has so many problems! I'm in WI and have e-mailed with a lady in Temecula, CA and they are moving here next June; she can't take it anymore the way CA has become. I myself am visiting WV this fall and can't wait. I would like to move too but have an elderly mother here and can't leave at this moment but will when the time is right. If you have the opportunity to do so then you should. I hope you're able to fulfill your dream in West Virginia!!

Old 08-19-2008, 01:03 AM

Smile Programs in WV

Quote:
If you would need to finish your degree, Marshall University here in Huntington has a great teacher's education program that you would be able to take advantage of. Here are a few other links that you may find useful:
Marshall University Graduate School of Education and Professional Development (http://www.marshall.edu/gsepd/mat.asp - broken link)
teacher-education

Let me know if there's any other way I can help.
Tim
Hi Tim,

Thanks for another great link! I will definitely look into it and see if I can apply. I went to a career seminar today in Long Beach and got some resume tips and job search tips. My Mother picked up the movie, We are Marshall. I am going to watch it tomorrow. Things are starting to look up. I will start planning to visit WV. Have a good night!

Texas Turkey

Old 08-19-2008, 01:12 AM

Smile Visting WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by suecen View Post
Texasturkey: I think you are doing the right thing. You only live once and why not move from somewhere you don't like. My brother is in the LA area and just hates it; he knows so many people who have sold their homes and moved to other states. CA has so many problems! I'm in WI and have e-mailed with a lady in Temecula, CA and they are moving here next June; she can't take it anymore the way CA has become. I myself am visiting WV this fall and can't wait. I would like to move too but have an elderly mother here and can't leave at this moment but will when the time is right. If you have the opportunity to do so then you should. I hope you're able to fulfill your dream in West Virginia!!
Hi Suecen,

I want to plan to visit WV this fall. It would be interesting to live in a state with a low population and better life quality. All I know is suburban tract housing, crowded living conditions and a fast-paced environment. I need to decide what to do about my car and school plans, if I decide to move so far across the country. Thanks for your support and encouragement. I am going to watch the movie, We are Marshall tomorrow. Let me know how you like WV. Good Luck always.

Texas Turkey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington