Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 01:20 PM

944 posts, read 1,186,299 times

Advertisements

Hmmm...they claimed the opposite, nothing wrong with router...but, the upgrade/maintenance - the rental is an Arris, I'll call them & get a better router - I don't plan on having them too, too long & know that both Comcast & AT&T has much better routers included in their plans...if we can just get them here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 01:22 PM

Just called asking for a better modem, that ain't happening so I guess buying one is next

Old 07-01-2013, 01:31 PM

Ordered the ASUS RT-N66U that you recommended :-)

Old 07-05-2013, 09:54 AM

252 posts, read 321,388 times
Make sure they take the modem rental off your bill. More than once, I have turned in equipment and they continue to charge a monthly rental for it.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:47 AM

190 posts, read 413,167 times
Reggae - Not surprising about the modem charge. AT&T recently introduced a new charge of $2 per month if you do not rent a modem from them. Seems to be a trend - we'll charge you a fee for not getting cable TV with your internet, and we'll charge you for not renting a modem .

Old 07-08-2013, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
Been on the phone with WOW for over an hr...the connectivity that we're receiving is craptastic at best...they're blaming it on maintenance/upgrade which is 'supposed' to be done in 2/3 weeks - I'm not holding my breath on that one - so much for "we're not happy until your happy" schpiel they have on their recording (10 min wait)...we still can't get Comcast or AT&T here, which I'll change to one or the other immediately when one is available - I'll even take Comcast over this right now...bottom line, I'm paying for a high download speed & not getting it...unless I hardwired the unit to the modem...kinda defeats the wireless part, dunnit!?!?
I am in the same boat. I am in Madison and WOW/Knology internet is getting worse and worse. I am paying for 'edge' (supposed to be 35 Mbs) and I am getting no more than 5 Mbs in the evening. Some speed drops also, Netflix keeps buffering... . I called Knology support a few times and keep getting promises that things will get better in a month. The first promise was in March. Very frustrating since Knology is the only provider I can get... . Before moving here we had Verizon FIOS - rock solid day and night with 55 Mbs speed.

I am renting Arris TM602G modem with voice over IP. I would buy my own modem but modems with voice (phone line) are hard to find. Any modem recommendations?

Old 07-08-2013, 10:15 PM

168 posts, read 311,258 times
Meanwhile... AT&T DSL just went up another $3 (for 1.5Mbs) to $41 here in Madison, despite the fact that the quality/reliability has gone from quite good to absolutely horrific in the last 3-4 years. I will feel like a wealthy man once we (ever?) get fiber into Madison. This is 2013, right? Arg.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:07 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathMGU View Post
I am paying for 'edge' (supposed to be 35 Mbs) and I am getting no more than 5 Mbs in the evening.

I am renting Arris TM602G modem with voice over IP. I would buy my own modem but modems with voice (phone line) are hard to find. Any modem recommendations?

The Arris TM602G is only DOCSIS 2.0 which has a maximum theoretical Data Rate up to 30.72 Mbps. True values should be less. While 5 Mbs is low, it is impossible to get to 35 Mbs. They should be renting you a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem like Arris 822G.

It may be more than just buying a modem. Not every ISP has a Bring your own Modem policy. Especially with telephony. Make sure you know the policy before you spring for your own modem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Missourian View Post
Meanwhile... AT&T DSL just went up another $3 (for 1.5Mbs) to $41 here in Madison, despite the fact that the quality/reliability has gone from quite good to absolutely horrific in the last 3-4 years. I will feel like a wealthy man once we (ever?) get fiber into Madison. This is 2013, right? Arg.
Companies are trying to walk away from DSL as it is unprofitable.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:04 AM

Got my new ASUS modem & helpful neighbor will help me install it, I get a deer in the headlights look when I have to do anything hardware related! We even received a card from Comcast about Infinity in our area, just teasing of course, not available....(why send me a teaser about good Internet...it's like a promise of the holy grail?!!?) I too was used to Verizon FIOS & never had any issues - we're paying for top speed & getting craptastic at best...reminding me of the days of dial-up! Sigh!

Old 07-09-2013, 09:12 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,279,085 times
Meanwhile, despite finally getting a provider that has HBO GO. WOW! Says via email that this won't be available until the fall. Which I am sure is a flat out lie. So I continue to pay the same for HBO as other folks, BUT don't have access to HBO GO.

Maybe someone can explain how letting me access HBO GO on the internet, requires "Hardware Upgrades"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area