Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 03:16 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post
There is a number of things that looked silly to people in the beginning. I know for a fact that all the types of e-cig I use looked silly to some of my non-smoking acquaintances. I got them used to it.
It's not going to look silly to anyone in 2 years time. That's how it works.

(Or doesn't. For example I still consider the man's fashions of today totally silly. Especially suits. Looks like clothes of 3 size smaller man, put on in a hurry.)

anyway, who cares
Bluetooths have been out for years now and they still look silly and actually the majority of people now think they are goofy.

E-cigs are weird. I wouldn't say people consider their user's douchebags. It is more like they scream "I want to quit smoking but I don't have the will power to do it." That is fine though, it is far better than smoking. With that said, I prefer people not puff on them around me, especially the scented ones. I have migraines and one of the things that trigger them quickly is sharp potent smells. That is why I always avoided the area in the mall where Abercrombie and Fitch was located. That place gave me a headache a couple of times and I could not bear to step foot in it. I was so happy when they pulled out of Parkway Place mall, I almost danced in front of their old location. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 03:22 PM

331 posts, read 511,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
That is why I always avoided the area in the mall where Abercrombie and Fitch was located. That place gave me a headache a couple of times and I could not bear to step foot in it. I was so happy when they pulled out of Parkway Place mall, I almost danced in front of their old location. lol
Thats how I feel about Yankee Candle. My girlfriend drags me in there and before I know it, I wake up a few moments later usually laying outside the doorway passed out from all the scents.

Regards
Huffbuffer

Old 06-19-2013, 04:14 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
...I always avoided the area in the mall where Abercrombie and Fitch was located. That place gave me a headache a couple of times and I could not bear to step foot in it...
The in-your-face stench of that kiddie-cologne keeps a lot of potential customers (even those of the target demographic) away from that store.

I hated to eat in the food court as that aroma competed with what I was eating.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:58 PM

934 posts, read 402,707 times
Quote:
Bluetooths have been out for years now and they still look silly and actually the majority of people now think they are goofy.

That is fine though, it is far better than smoking. With that said, I prefer people not puff on them around me, especially the scented ones. I have migraines and one of the things that trigger them quickly is sharp potent smells.
well, I don't have a problem with that and I believe what you said. You KNOW sharp potent smells trigger your migraines. Some e-liquids (liquid used for electronic cigarettes) might have them. With that said, I haven't tried such, and I've tried more than 50 of them. But ok, they probably exist. Vanilla can be on a bit stronger side, peach too. It depends what you mean by "sharp, potent smell". Anyway I believe you that and I wouldn't vape anywhere near people who mind it. And I would never, ever say something suggesting that you're exaggerating. I can't possibly know how you feel and what you have to deal with.

With that said, this is what I do have a problem with

Quote:
It is more like they scream "I want to quit smoking but I don't have the will power to do it.
I have 25 y-r experience of quitting cigarettes. One of the attempts was 20 months long. A few were 3-6 months long. During that longest one I came close to depression (and I mean depression, not just bad mood) and put 20 pounds on.

Now, if I don't have strong will, how would I have endured 20 months of non-smoking? During which I lost a job, a parent, started a new career. All the time I didn't relapse. I did it later when everything was ok.

Do not lecture me on will power when even the science hasn't decoded why it is that some smokers do and can quit cold turkey and others don't. They are still on the way to thinking about "personalized therapies".
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1209154947.htm

More power to those who can quit cold turkey. However, there is a considerable number of people who simply can't. And when they try, it usually costs them (constant feeling down, being slow to grasp things, putting on weight).

NRTs (gums, patches etc) have 5% efficiency (long term, that's what counts. Nicotine gums work great short-term, but long-term, nope). If 5% is success then I'm Sharon Stone, pleased to meet you.

So, I would like those who think "quit or you are some sort of a weakling, blah, blah, sub-human" to keep their opinions to themselves.

Last edited by switchtoecig; 06-21-2013 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: inserting a link

Old 06-23-2013, 11:28 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,744 times
I am late to the party and just got my first bluetooth a few years ago and I like it! But I only use it to catch up with relatives while I'm exercising or doing chores in my house - not around other humans in public places.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,650 times
My husband used his e cig in a theatre at end credits when we were the only ones left in there except 2 employees and who I assume was the manager by the way he was dressed standing by the exit. The manager saw the vapor and was pretty unprofessional, saying "hey, there's no smoking in here" to which we explained it was an e cig. The manager then said "no one wants your e cig smoke in here". Um, it was an empty theatre at end-credits. My husband didn't like the guy's tone (and he definitely didn't handle it well) saying, "do you really want an argument right now?" The guy then said he would call the police. The police? Really? What the guy should have done was state if there was a policy on e cig's and we need to stop, not back up the imaginary people we were bothering in the empty theatre. If it was against policy, fine, we were in the wrong. But you don't talk to paying customers like that.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:02 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro4ik View Post
I think they are banned on airplanes though.
On domestic airlines, yes, but I have colleagues that have used them without issue on some foreign airlines.

Part of the problem, as explained to me by a USAir flight attendant, is that they don't want someone who is already nervous about flying to freak out if they see "smoke" coming from a seat somewhere in the airplane, not knowing what it is. I can buy that. I have seen fellow flyers get nervous and call a FA if they think someone has been in the lav for too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMY2410 View Post
My husband used his e cig in a theatre at end credits when we were the only ones left in there except 2 employees and who I assume was the manager by the way he was dressed standing by the exit. The manager saw the vapor and was pretty unprofessional, saying "hey, there's no smoking in here" to which we explained it was an e cig. The manager then said "no one wants your e cig smoke in here". Um, it was an empty theatre at end-credits. My husband didn't like the guy's tone (and he definitely didn't handle it well) saying, "do you really want an argument right now?" The guy then said he would call the police. The police? Really? What the guy should have done was state if there was a policy on e cig's and we need to stop, not back up the imaginary people we were bothering in the empty theatre. If it was against policy, fine, we were in the wrong. But you don't talk to paying customers like that.
Um - in another establishment...their place, their rules. Sounds like he told your husband to stop vaping, and then mentioned the police when your hubby got argumentative.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:10 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Non smokers are so savage in their politically correct rage that I am sure - just in the fact you were ingesting nicotine...They will jump on smokeless cigarettes like jumping on a venomous snake. A while back I was on the street holding a cigarette (unlit) A health conscious jogger was passing by...She saw my cigarette and frantically started waving her hand around her face and coughing....strange...I had yet to lite up.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:20 PM

331 posts, read 511,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Non smokers are so savage in their politically correct rage that I am sure - just in the fact you were ingesting nicotine...They will jump on smokeless cigarettes like jumping on a venomous snake. A while back I was on the street holding a cigarette (unlit) A health conscious jogger was passing by...She saw my cigarette and frantically started waving her hand around her face and coughing....strange...I had yet to lite up.
Just reading that gave me cancer via 2nd hand.

Regards
Huffbuffer

Old 09-30-2013, 07:16 AM

62 posts, read 81,579 times
E-cigarette users are generally discrete in public places and blow the vapor downwards, or just release it slowly. The vapor dissipates within seconds.

I'd rather sit behind a vaper than a farter.
peep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area