Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 12:14 PM

152 posts, read 240,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis K. Brown View Post
Having moved to Madison from the Midwest a year ago, and having retired from a lifetime of Busines/Retail Development, I thus far see only demolition and road/utility "conversion-upgrades" at this site. Add to that the withdrawl of the "Developer(s)" you then only have one more party to look to; namely the Real Money Source, i.e. RIALTO CAPITAL MANAGEMENT.

Soooo..with that said, the core question remains..Who is RIALTO, what is their current balance sheet strength, and do their Limited Partners and Stakeholders ( most likely a REIT ) still feel that in 2016, with 277,000 jobless claims up nationwide,
a State and Federal Tax Structure in complete flux, and a State Government in midst of fraud and disarray, would any of you risk MORE of your $ or trust the promises of current State and Local Leaders? I wouldn't until after the November Elections...

Madison is already grossly overdeveloped with 10 20% vacancy rates at retail, little or no zonig consistency, and a Library that can't even decide where it going to be....so having another failed and outdated bricks and mortar Retail outlet on this side of 565 seems 10 years out of date...Amazon IS the future....Clicks, not Cars, will determine the future of Town Madison.
whut?

Coog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 12:44 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,301,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
And that's fine, I figured that's what you meant. So yeah you got me. Can't get an Omega watch here. But guess what, if someone here wants one they'll probably go to Atlanta to get one. It is closer and a much bigger city that caters more to trinkets for the high end set. So my point still stands. No one here talks much about going to Nashville for anything. And yes, most of what they have is covered by what you can get here. So maybe that person "settles" for a Rolex or a Tag or half a dozen other high end watches that are available here. If not, they probably aren't going to Nashville to get it. So again, that isn't a "plus", but if you guys think of yourselves as a suburb of Nashville and it being that "close" is a plus. Whatever.

See the above. People here who love IKEA would go to Atlanta I suppose. I don't get what you are trying to prove. What is TM going to have that is going to encourage a person from here to go up there? A sign that says, "Nashville is only 2 more hours away!!!" Lol. Awesome.
The point is: no, B'ham doesn't have everything that Nashville does (which was your claim). And secondly, people here have a choice to go North or South if they want bigger city shopping. A lot choose to go North for various reasons, as I suspect more will continue to do so. He wasn't saying that people in B'ham should drive to Nashville. That's silly. Just saying that for us, in this area, we have a choice of 2 cities that are roughly equal distances away from us, and Nashville wins out. More options, nicer city

If you have to drive to ATL for certain things not available in B'ham, that puts you in the same boat as Us (HSV driving to Nashville).

Old 06-16-2016, 01:40 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
The point is: no, B'ham doesn't have everything that Nashville does (which was your claim).

No, my claim was I never hear people here talking about going to Nashville to buy anything. And that I don't do it. His reply to that was to come up with a very specific item that isn't at all something that would come up in typical conversation. Nor is it something that people here would choose Nashville over anywhere else to go. How we went from department stores...nicer big box stores...speciality grocers to a specific brand of luxury watch just shows how silly and trite the whole idea is. I'm sure we'll be talking about Bugattis next. Unless TM is getting something on the level of magnitude that is exclusive to a city like Atlanta. So why talk about it? What is it getting that will make shoppers from either city come there?

Quote:
And secondly, people here have a choice to go North or South if they want bigger city shopping. A lot choose to go North for various reasons, as I suspect more will continue to do so. He wasn't saying that people in B'ham should drive to Nashville. That's silly. Just saying that for us, in this area, we have a choice of 2 cities that are roughly equal distances away from us, and Nashville wins out. More options, nicer city.
But the point is you are speculating on how many people choose to turn left or right. You don't know. You'd just like to imagine you do, and claim you do - but that doesn't fly. I'm sure the retailers in Birmingham benefit from North Alabama shoppers too. I know they do. A lot, a little...who cares. Enough people don't have any silly hang ups about coming here to shop. The fact that if that list posted earlier included shopping attractions, the Galleria and the Summit would be at or near the top.

Quote:
If you have to drive to ATL for certain things not available in B'ham, that puts you in the same boat as Us (HSV driving to Nashville).

No it doesn't. That would imply that Birmingham and Huntsville have roughly the same options for retail, something even you admit isn't true. Apparently it is very common for people in Huntsville to drive out of town to shop. I am saying that unless you are talking about niche market luxury items, that same is not true for Birmingham. I don't drive out of town to buy anything.

This really isn't that difficult.

Last edited by Tourian; 06-16-2016 at 01:49 PM..

Old 06-16-2016, 02:16 PM

I seriously doubt you do any high end shopping. You just like to throw names around as if you know what you're talking about. News flash: Omega watches, in general, are less expensive than Tag's or Rolex. So to say someone would have to "settle" for one of those shows your lack of knowledge.

No, I haven't done a survey of everyone in North AL, but I never hear any of my friends, neighbors or co-workers mention going to B'ham. I do, however, hear them talking about going to Nashville. Frequently. And I live in the highest household income zip code in the area, so that tells you that people with money to spend don't choose B'ham.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:29 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
I seriously doubt you do any high end shopping. You just like to throw names around as if you know what you're talking about. News flash: Omega watches, in general, are less expensive than Tag's or Rolex. So to say someone would have to "settle" for one of those shows your lack of knowledge.

Ha ha. That's why I put "settle" in quotes. I was being facetious. There are nicer watches for sale here in Birmingham. That's what I meant by covered. I don't care about a line by line comparison of every product and service available. Having a specific watch like that for sale doesn't make Nashville a big deal for Birmingham shoppers. But if you want to imagine a convoy of rabid Birmingham Omega watch buyers doing the congo up 65, go right ahead. That fits right in with the people coming here to go to Sak's, Nordstrom Rack, West Elm, Sur la Table, blah blah blah etc etc from Huntsville and all around the state and beyond.

Quote:
No, I haven't done a survey of everyone in North AL, but I never hear any of my friends, neighbors or co-workers mention going to B'ham. I do, however, hear them talking about going to Nashville. Frequently. And I live in the highest household income zip code in the area, so that tells you that people with money to spend don't choose B'ham.
Great, wouldn't expect any less of a fairy tale from you. If you're so confident in that, you really wouldn't need to try so hard to convince me. Some of the people on this board have mentioned it. But now all of sudden..no one does. Right. Newsflash: I don't care what you think and I don't believe you. I know Birmingham has comparable retail power to Nashville and that it is well above Huntsville's. I also know that power affords it a statewide draw that makes it a destination for people all over the state and even beyond. No silly anecdotes from you is going to change that. Lol at you trying to convince me that Tennessee Valley people have more of a connection to Nashville and an adversion to Birmingham. I've said that all along.

But you'll all come down here at least once right? I mean how else could we accurately get that oh so obligatory assessment that B'ham's version of Cheescake Factory, Tj's, whatever etc. sucks compared to Nashville's. Ha ha.

Last edited by Tourian; 06-16-2016 at 03:01 PM..

Old 06-16-2016, 03:28 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
...I live in the highest household income zip code in the area, so that tells you that people with money to spend...
Often that money has already been spent on an overpriced house and new cars, resulting in very little discretionary income.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:29 PM

Cheesecake Factory sucks in general, no matter where it is. Overrated.

I don't live in a fairy tale. That would be YOU.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Often that money has already been spent on an overpriced house and new cars, resulting in very little discretionary income.
If someone stretches their finances or doesn't understand how much they can comfortably afford, that's not my problem. If they do so in order to get a better school system, etc for their kids, it's their choice. Most people I know aren't hurting in the discretionary income area.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:46 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
If someone stretches their finances or doesn't understand how much they can comfortably afford, that's not my problem. If they do so in order to get a better school system, etc for their kids, it's their choice. Most people I know aren't hurting in the discretionary income area.
First of all, where did I state that anything was "your problem." Second of all, anecdotal evidence doesn't negate facts.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:52 PM

169 posts, read 206,195 times
While these anecdotes about shopping in Nashville or Birmingham or Atlanta are great, is the amount of retail involved even a blip on anyone's radar?

Everyone I know buys 99%+ of everything locally or over the Internet. If they happen to be out of town on business with a few hours to kill, they may stop in at a fabulous destination like The Summit. I'd be willing to bet the #1 product Huntsville residents drive a good distance for is cheap plane tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area