Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 07:42 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,510,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Have you never seen Guardians of the Galaxy 2? Rocket Raccoon? He's hilarious!

I think the actual term was born on Reddit.
Actually, I'm texting with my son now and he just told me about the Trash Pandas. Ha. Maybe that'll be the winner.

I'm not up to date on my pop culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 09:34 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,097,582 times
New Orleans Baby Cakes - horrible name, and apparently not selling a lot of merchandise.

Huntsville Yard Goats - they are selling merchandise, but no one liked the name. The votes were overwhelmingly from outside of market and intended to create a dumb name. I'm almost 100% positive the same agency handled all three teams.

I'll go with Trash Pandas - it is a dumb name, but Raccoons could be funny.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:55 PM

271 posts, read 294,096 times
Quote:
Minor league baseball names are always kooky and weird to attract interest.
FALSE. Look at the list of minor league baseball teams. This has become a recent fad and the majority of teams have traditional names. This company Brandios needs to go away.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:16 PM

163 posts, read 297,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Correct, I would not want to go watch the Geeks or the Techies, and I live within a mile or so of the stadium. But those names are light years ahead of Trash Pandas or the other 9. Madison Gravy? Terrible.

Stick with a traditional baseball name.
You wouldn't want to go see a Biscuits-Gravy series ???

Old 07-31-2018, 08:08 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teko03 View Post
FALSE. Look at the list of minor league baseball teams. This has become a recent fad and the majority of teams have traditional names. This company Brandios needs to go away.
What do you consider a "traditional" name? I've looked over the list. I even included a link earlier in the thread.

It just amazes me how uptight and apoplectic people are over this name thing. Minor league baseball is like Topgolf. Nobody goes there to golf. Sure, golf happens, but that isn't the point. People go there to have fun.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:57 AM

675 posts, read 645,234 times
When I graduated high school in Arizona in 1994, there was a place in our local mall that specialized in selling MiLB caps. I had a couple that were just branded after their parent team: Great Falls Dodgers and Bend Rockies. Same logos, even, bujt with different initials, obviously.

I still prefer those teams, though the trend is obviously away from that nowadays (except for, say, the OKC Dodgers. Well done!).

I'm OK with rather normal sounding names, whether onn or off brand from the parent team. I liked the Zephyrs. They didn't need to mess with that.

Kids these days...

Old 07-31-2018, 09:33 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
I'm OK with rather normal sounding names, whether onn or off brand from the parent team. I liked the Zephyrs. They didn't need to mess with that.

Kids these days...
I grew up listening to Denver Bears games on the radio. Then they went and changed it to the Zephyrs. They didn't need to mess with that.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:45 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,510,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
What do you consider a "traditional" name? I've looked over the list. I even included a link earlier in the thread.

It just amazes me how uptight and apoplectic people are over this name thing. Minor league baseball is like Topgolf. Nobody goes there to golf. Sure, golf happens, but that isn't the point. People go there to have fun.
Sure, that's why anybody goes to a baseball game ... to have fun. But it's also for the baseball. Remember when Canseco and Maguire, and others, were here? We had Stars season tickets and as much as anything else, went for quality baseball. The only reason we quit buying tickets was because we moved to Madison and it was a lot less convenient.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:12 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teko03 View Post
Lehigh Valley IronPigs
El Paso Chihuahuas
Fort Wayne Tin Caps
Savannah Bananas
Toledo Mudhens
Albuquerque Isotopes
Hartford Yard Goats
Montgomery Biscuits
Richmond Flying Squirrels
Akron Rubber Ducks
Topeka Train Robbers
Wichita Wingnuts
Modesto Nuts
Batavia Muckdogs

Just to name a few.

Yeah, those are all perfectly traditional names

Old 08-01-2018, 05:49 AM

271 posts, read 294,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post

I don't know about you, but I never played gold a day in my life until Topgolf, and I'm going there to win lol

Quote:
Lehigh Valley IronPigs
El Paso Chihuahuas
Fort Wayne Tin Caps
Savannah Bananas
Toledo Mudhens
Albuquerque Isotopes
Hartford Yard Goats
Montgomery Biscuits
Richmond Flying Squirrels
Akron Rubber Ducks
Topeka Train Robbers
Wichita Wingnuts
Modesto Nuts
Batavia Muckdogs

Just to name a few.

Yeah, those are all perfectly traditional names

Because you hand picked just FOURTEEN team names lol

Birmingham Barons
Brooklyn Cyclones
Buffalo Bisons
Charlotte Knights
Chattanooga Lookouts
Columbia Fireflies
Dayton Dragons
Durham Bulls
Fresno Grizzlies
Frisco RoughRiders
Grand Junction Rockies
Hagertown Suns
Harrisburg Senators
Indianapolis Indians
Iowa Cubs
Jackson Generals
Lexington Legends
Louisville Bats
Mississippi Braves
Memphis Red Birds
Norfolk Tides
Oklahoma City Dodgers
Omaha Storm Chasers
Palm Beach Cardinals
Pawtucket Red Sox
Reno Aces
Rochester Red Wings
Salt Like Bees
Springfield Cardinals
Syracuse Chiefs
Tennessee Smokies
Trenton Thunder
Tulsa Drillers
Winston-Salem Dash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area