Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:33 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a flood of people wanting to move to Huntsville.
This thread would be great for us who want to move and allow us to read what other possible movers are thinking.

1) Current City and State?

2) Why do you want to leave?

3) 2nd and 3rd choice cities?

4) What’s currently holding you back from moving?

5) Anything else you want to tell us that we don't know?

6) If already in Huntsville, what do you like, dislike, pleasant surprises, regrets?

1) Five miles east of Monument, CO on the Palmer Divide between Colorado Springs and Denver
2) No kids on our street, our kids have no friends; Wife doesn't like cold and snow (204 inches of snow 2006-2007, norm is about 100 inches); My company has five times bigger presence in Huntsville than in all of Colorado; It is fun to live and experience different places
3) Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo or somewhere near there in Orange County, CA where there are good schools and lots of jobs nearby
4) Not much, our home is for sale and we're working with a Huntsville realtor
5) I'm on a diet
6) Not in Huntsville yet, but I like the combination of amenities and spaciousness (Monument is very spacious but it lacks amenities, LA has everything but it is way too crowded); Not looking forward to heat and humidity, prefer Colorado cool and sunny weather.

Our home on the Palmer Divide, January 2007
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 07:58 PM

27 posts, read 109,965 times
1) Current City and State? Chattanooga, TN

2) Why do you want to leave? Husband is being transferred with his company. He is working in Huntsville during the week and driving home on the weekends.

3) 2nd and 3rd choice cities? Nashville was our first choice but it didn't work out. We are very excited about Huntsville!!

4) What’s currently holding you back from moving? Selling our home in Chattanooga. The average time frame on market is now 6-8 mos Husband is in temp housing (one bedroom apt in Madison). But with two small children and two dogs, I would rather be here in our house with a fenced in yard!

5) Anything else you want to tell us that we don't know? We are working with a realtor in Huntsville and have narrowed our search to Madison (city limits). We really like Franklin Station, Jacqueline Downs...

6) If already in Huntsville, what do you like, dislike, pleasant surprises, regrets? I really enjoyed Bridge Street.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:32 PM

433 posts, read 1,770,173 times
) Current City and State? Savannah, GA(past 2 years), suburb of Chicago before that

2) Why do you want to leave? High crime and horrible schools, husband's employer not doing well financially

3) 2nd and 3rd choice cities? Jacksonville, Fl all of my sisters live there

4) What’s currently holding you back from moving? I think you know this one Charles. House hasn't sold. Husband has been living in Madison for 2 months

5) Anything else you want to tell us that we don't know? I have a home sale contingency on a house in Oakstone. I hope I don't lose it!

6) If already in Huntsville, what do you like, dislike, pleasant surprises, regrets? Love the growth and the future growth of the area. I can't wait to get the kids back into safe and normal schools!

Old 06-28-2008, 05:17 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,588,273 times
1) Current City and State? Fairfax, VA

2) Why do you want to leave? Husband's job -- also cheaper to live in Hville

3) 2nd and 3rd choice cities? none -- have also lived in Vancouver, Houston and Knoxville and loved all of them -- home is what you make of it

4) What’s currently holding you back from moving? Daughter saying goodbye to all her friends -- promised her we'd stay for two weeks after school ended.

5) Anything else you want to tell us that we don't know? I grew up in Northern Canada after immigrating from the Netherlands. It was North of the 55th parallel just below where the tree line ends. I HATED IT. I was born to live in the US and the further south the better.

6) If already in Huntsville, what do you like, dislike, pleasant surprises, regrets? Hardest thing will be losing all my daughter's peers. They are a great batch of kids and I hope she finds another host of them down south. Great surprises were the amazing, locally owned, non-chain restaurants. Big dislike is having to haul my hubby's favorite scotch and my french cassis down south because the ABC's don't stock it due to placement rules! Also I found grocery store prices higher than I expected, wine is more expensive or the same, and I will miss my Wegman's. However, the roads are clear, the gas is cheaper (especially at Kangaroo on 72), the people are uber nice and friendly, and it's just a lovely area close to a lot of cool places like Nashville, Atlanta and the coast. BTW, we could have gone to CO Springs in CO but I am like Charles's wife: HATE THE COLD AND SNOW.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:43 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,839,616 times
1) Newnan, GA ( metro Atlanta ) We have lived in northern metro Atlanta, Wisconsin, and previously Madison, AL

2) My husband has taken a job in Huntsville

3) nochoices really -

4) Selling this house!!!! My husband has been in Huntsville since March and driving home for weekends. Gotten very old and expensive. The house market here is DEAD, DEAD, DEAD!!!!! Unless youa re trying to sell a house, you don't know how bad it is. There are VERY few buyers for a huge inventory of new and resale homes. Our home is only 1 1/2 years old and shows like new but we are still sitting here. People are scard to even look or buy unless they have to for relocation.

5) Am an empty nester so I am grateful that I don't have to worry about kids and getting them into school. That would be difficult and I remember those days!

6)Since I have lived in Huntsville before, there are many positives - no traffic like Atlanta. I do wish they would figure out how to make Memorial a little more manageable and drivers would slow down on 565. Even going 70 you get honked at!!! Also Huntsville is close to mountains, Wheeler Wildlife, Birmingham and Nashville. Love the historic area and it has one of the best Botanical Gardens I have ever visited. Besure and go to the historic cemetery when they have the characters dressed and telling their stories. It ususally occurs in spring. You learn alot and it is fun even for kids.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:23 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post

5) Am an empty nester so I am grateful that I don't have to worry about kids and getting them into school. That would be difficult and I remember those days!
Actually, it is really easy in Huntsville. We found good schools in all price ranges. Meaning, identify the best elementary, middle, and high schools and you can find homes in all price ranges. This would be absolutely impossible in LA.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:40 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,839,616 times
That is true about schools in the Huntsville area. We lived in MAdison city limits before and the good schools were definite selling plus when we sold our house. I also mean that I don't have the added stress of being a parent and having my kids move in the middle of school year, changing schools, making new friends and fitting in, etc.When we lived there before we were one of the few on our street without a PhD and an ex jet fighter pilot ! The level of educated people in the area is high. I think Huntsville has one of the highest percentages of PhD's per capita in the world. I read that somewhere a few years ago. Thanks for all your help and encouragement. Hope all of our homes sell FAST and we all find our new perfect home.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:42 AM

34 posts, read 95,290 times
Alexandria, VA
My husband got a job in Huntsville.
Austin and Dallas TX
None
Even though I heard a lot of good things about Huntsville, I am still kind of wishes and washes about Huntsville...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
There seems to be a flood of people wanting to move to Huntsville.
This thread would be great for us who want to move and allow us to read what other possible movers are thinking.

6) If already in Huntsville, what do you like, dislike, pleasant surprises, regrets?

1) Five miles east of Monument, CO on the Palmer Divide between Colorado Springs and Denver
2) No kids on our street, our kids have no friends; Wife doesn't like cold and snow (204 inches of snow 2006-2007, norm is about 100 inches); My company has five times bigger presence in Huntsville than in all of Colorado; It is fun to live and experience different places
3) Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo or somewhere near there in Orange County, CA where there are good schools and lots of jobs nearby
4) Not much, our home is for sale and we're working with a Huntsville realtor
5) I'm on a diet
6) Not in Huntsville yet, but I like the combination of amenities and spaciousness (Monument is very spacious but it lacks amenities, LA has everything but it is way too crowded); Not looking forward to heat and humidity, prefer Colorado cool and sunny weather.

Our home on the Palmer Divide, January 2007

Old 06-30-2008, 09:31 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,588,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguk View Post
Alexandria, VA
My husband got a job in Huntsville.
Austin and Dallas TX
None
Even though I heard a lot of good things about Huntsville, I am still kind of wishes and washes about Huntsville...
Lived in the Fairfax area for 9 years--is Hville DC? No, but you will find a true gem. Go for it!You'll find great people, amazing neighborhoods, great restaurants (non chain that are affordable) and more... Bridges is super!
Good luck!
c

Old 07-02-2008, 04:17 PM

77 posts, read 291,025 times

Atlanta, GA NE suburbs

That could be a very long post just in itself - basically want to be somewhere significantly smaller, and never intended on raising children here

Upstate SC (Seneca/Clemson/Anderson area)
Chattanooga, TN & close NW GA cities

I have two more years of pharmacy school to finish first.

I've been looking at Huntsville off and on for more than 7 years, primarily because I knew it would be a good place for my husband to be (software engineer). Also, we do not want to leave the South. In fact, DH and I took a trip there at one point, but that was before the whole pharmacy thing started, and then we were committed to staying in Atlanta for several more years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area