Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:10 AM

4 posts, read 5,409 times

Advertisements

i live in cullman al and there is meth everywhere i mean everywhere we have meth labs all over the place... but you wouldnt think it just by coming to cullman or even living here you have to know people to see how bad cullman really is

Old 11-03-2009, 10:26 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,866,803 times
If I may play Devil's Advocate for a moment. Legalize it and most of your small meth lab problems go away. In fact, legalize all of these drugs.

The price of meth would plummet with commercial production and you could even tax meth sales. You wouldn't need giant and expensive drug policing bureacracies. Then increase spending on in-school drug education programs. Someone who will do meth is someone who isn't going to care whether its legal or not, and honestly, no one has difficulty obtaining these illegal drugs (in DC, you can get almost anything on virtually any corner in Southeast - ah, the things you experience as a teenager).

In one fell swoop you take care of most of the violent activity associated with the drug trade, you have virtually no impact on usage rates for hardcore drugs like meth and crack (though I'm sure pot use would skyrocket - but that would likely be eating into cigarette and alcohol sales). You'd eliminate dangerous home based meth labs by making meth no longer profitable for them. You bring the hidden world into the light where it can be regulated and taxed, and you save a ton of money on enforcement.

You will never stop people who want to use and produce these drugs. These aren't people who care about whether something is legal or not.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:30 AM

19 posts, read 39,312 times
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
If I may play Devil's Advocate for a moment. Legalize it and most of your small meth lab problems go away. In fact, legalize all of these drugs.

The price of meth would plummet with commercial production and you could even tax meth sales. You wouldn't need giant and expensive drug policing bureacracies. Then increase spending on in-school drug education programs. Someone who will do meth is someone who isn't going to care whether its legal or not, and honestly, no one has difficulty obtaining these illegal drugs (in DC, you can get almost anything on virtually any corner in Southeast - ah, the things you experience as a teenager).

In one fell swoop you take care of most of the violent activity associated with the drug trade, you have virtually no impact on usage rates for hardcore drugs like meth and crack (though I'm sure pot use would skyrocket - but that would likely be eating into cigarette and alcohol sales). You'd eliminate dangerous home based meth labs by making meth no longer profitable for them. You bring the hidden world into the light where it can be regulated and taxed, and you save a ton of money on enforcement.

You will never stop people who want to use and produce these drugs. These aren't people who care about whether something is legal or not.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:08 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,585,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post

If it is legal we can tax it at 8-8;5% and make more money--thus educating people and perhaps ... oh well...if they are edumucated then they won't buy the stuff... nevermind.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post
If it is legal we can tax it at 8-8;5% and make more money--thus educating people and perhaps ... oh well...if they are edumucated then they won't buy the stuff... nevermind.
Sounds like a win-win to me.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:57 PM

Then we won't have anything to tax, but then an addiction is a hard thing to break--ask smokers. So I guess we could make all our tax money off the backs of addicts for both legal and illegal substances.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Then we won't have anything to tax, but then an addiction is a hard thing to break--ask smokers. So I guess we could make all our tax money off the backs of addicts for both legal and illegal substances.
That's the whole point. If the stuff isn't selling, then who cares about the lost tax revenue - you don't need the level of education and rehab funding... but being legal you'd still get all the benefits of not having to pay for illegal drug enforcement and you'd still largely eliminate home-based meth labs.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:49 PM

let's legalize all of it, get rid of "dry counties" (why do they exist), and drop speed limits.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:17 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,418,958 times
Quote:
let's legalize all of it, get rid of "dry counties" (why do they exist), and drop speed limits.
Even if the residents of the dry counties consistently vote against going wet?
And surely you mean raise the speed limits.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:28 AM

Ha ha... well, I meant get rid of speed limits. As for voting against "wet" I say abolish the "dry" and override their vote. We could use the tax revenue. And like the Devil said, (our forum "advocate" for all that is good in the world), we'd save money on chasing these dudes down and bringing them to justice--

Of course, do I really want to implement these thoughts? No way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area