Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 11:44 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
Don't assume that part of my name is my birthdate..............First of all, I research these issues on my spare time. From what I see, Alabama is growing a slower rate than a lot of Southern states, especially South Carolina. Huntsville is not even on the top 10 or top 20 for the fastest growing metros in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 11:51 AM

889 posts, read 2,399,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
Don't assume that part of my name is my birthdate..............First of all, I research these issues on my spare time. From what I see, Alabama is growing a slower rate than a lot of Southern states, especially South Carolina. Huntsville is not even on the top 10 or top 20 for the fastest growing metros in the US.
OK. But why does Huntsville NEED to be one of the fastest growing metros in the US for it to not be boring? And "boring" is clearly a subjective observation. How do you define boring? What is the population threshold at which a city ceases to be boring?

Old 01-20-2009, 11:51 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,805,418 times
Quote:
Huntsville is growing at a nice healthy rate. I wouldn't want to be the fastest growing in the nation, that would create problems that I have no desire to deal with. Look at the boom and bust cycle that is currently happening in Phoenix, parts of Florida, California... No thanks.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:52 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
I was just saying that I want Huntsville to grow faster because I'm so afraid that after BRAC dies, it will lose population. That's why!

Old 01-20-2009, 05:11 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,393,115 times
Quote:
I was just saying that I want Huntsville to grow faster because I'm so afraid that after BRAC dies, it will lose population. That's why!
Even if it does grow faster that does nothing to help the population decrease that will occur if BRAC dies. Cities that grow rapidly then decrease rapidly have major problems, there's problems because the infrastructure, schools, and services can't keep up with the growth rate. Cities that lose population suffer because they have too much infrastructure and services and no longer have the tax base to support it. Detroit is an example of a city that decreased rapidly, it also grew had the problem of too much quick growth which may have been one of the factors in its rapid decline. Atlanta, Phoenix, Charlotte, and Dallas are growing really fast now and unable to keep up with the growth. Look at Huntsville now they barely can keep up with this moderate growth rate do you really want them to grow much faster knowing how bad Alabama is at providing funding for roads and school building? I wouldn't mind us growing a little faster but if we unable to keep up with it which is very likely, it will be disastrous.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:48 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,429,172 times
Quote:
Do you even know what BRAC is??

Old 01-20-2009, 05:54 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
I start different blogs about growth areas.
Do you know the difference between a blog and a (forum) thread?

Old 01-20-2009, 06:06 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,393,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Do you know the difference between a blog and a (forum) thread?
The new poster is enthusiastic about Huntsville, pointing out facts are good enough Moderator cut: comment

Last edited by Keeper; 01-21-2009 at 06:29 AM..

Old 01-20-2009, 08:33 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,969,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
But why does Huntsville NEED to be one of the fastest growing metros in the US for it to not be boring? And "boring" is clearly a subjective observation. How do you define boring? What is the population threshold at which a city ceases to be boring?
Maybe we need to create an atmosphere in Huntsville that reflects a quality of life that others want to come, so the population will not 'die' if BRAC fails.

Yeah, I think we'll need to truck in tons of sands and create a beach-like atmosphere along a stretch of Tennessee river, then we need to build two gigantic radiators so the "beach area" gets a constant tempearture of 75 deg. F. Then we'll start "beach volleyball invitational" tournament, inviting celebrity players like Misty May and Kerrie Walsh. Pretty soon, we'll get upscale restaurants along the beach sidewalks. We'll plant palm trees along the sidewalk and give it a "south beach" appeal. Soon, high rise condos will pop up all along the river to enjoy the warmth & the river. We'll have sidewalk cafe, serving cappucino, exotic wines from all corners of earth, 5-star chefs cooking up most imaginative foods. Before you know it, we'll turn the Tennessee river to a winter paradise.

"Snow birds" will flock down to Huntsville from the likes of Michigan, Mini-soda, and Wisconsin, even the Canadian variety will join us. We'll become the "south beach of Tennessee Valley" able to enjoy margaritta in the dead of winter and dress Tommy Bahama shirts. We may even have to accommodate a secluded section of beach for "bikini top optional" crowd.

Yes we can do this, we have the technology and the know-how. We can be the bionic city of the south! Just drag a giant aluminum cable to Scottsboro and tap into that nuclear power plant and voila!!! We can erect those two giant "radiant heater" in no time. All the engineering talents in NASA and BRAC can contribute to make Huntsville an oasis of the south! If you think Dubai is impressive, wait till you see Huntsville, hah!!!

KE111691, you maybe onto something here by saying "... I was just saying that I want Huntsville to grow faster because I'm so afraid that after BRAC dies, it will lose population...." We need you, as our leader, to present this idea to Tommy Battle and to make Huntsville a little metropolis of the south! What do you say, are you in?

Last edited by HB2HSV; 01-20-2009 at 08:45 PM..

Old 01-20-2009, 09:02 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,429,172 times
LOL!! HB, you are such a caution!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area