Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:17 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
Thanks James. I figured that most Publix have at least one Chinese place, and the one on County Line doesn't - so it figured logical.
There is a chinese restaurant next to the Publix on Countyline road, but I would not recommend it. I ate there once.... and only once....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 12:43 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,095,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
There is a chinese restaurant next to the Publix on Countyline road, but I would not recommend it. I ate there once.... and only once....
Finding good Chinese is almost as tough as finding good pizza

I'd like to see a 5 Guys down there as well, right off 65 would be great for them.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:56 AM

205 posts, read 589,992 times
Athens' Habitat for Humanity affiliate is building green houses... LEED certified (in process) which I find very exciting (as a past architectural graduate). Washington Street diner is very good for breakfast, especially. The college has cultural events that are very good. There is still quite a bit of construction activity here, although it has slowed down recently. Overall, a very good place to live. I especially love the old neighborhoods in the historic district.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:31 AM

216 posts, read 580,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
Finding good Chinese is almost as tough as finding good pizza

I'd like to see a 5 Guys down there as well, right off 65 would be great for them.

Good Chinese has eluded me...but good pizza, I have found!

After many recommendations from this forum, we went to Village Pizza on E Limestone Rd., across from E Limestone High. Wow! It was excellent! Best pizza I have had in YEARS!
Tommy's at Bridge Street is also fantastic if you like the big floppy New York style slices, which I do

Old 02-17-2009, 11:00 AM

I wasn't so impressed with Village on my trip there a few months back. Tommy's is pretty good, but for me its not great. Tony's was pretty good last time I went, but its a bit inconsistent.

My favorite is Tortora's, but that's so far away now. When Mellow Mushroom finally opens, it may become my "local" favorite.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:07 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,091 times
In the Athens area, let us hope this isn't a trend (from today's news)

The News-Courier in Athens, Alabama - Man awakes wih crochet needle stuck into urethra

Old 02-20-2009, 04:07 PM

6 posts, read 17,161 times
Default There is very little to do in Athens

My husband and I moved here from Wisconsin last summer and thought we would give the South a try - I was born here and have some family here. I only lived down here for the first year of my life. I found this topic while searching in vain for something to do on a Friday night.
We are moving back to Wisconsin in a couple weeks. This move just didn't work for us - we feel like strangers in a strange land. Dry counties and nowhere to do anything much. We are bored to death here! No options - no cool coffee places with acoustic music, no great little taverns with pizza, beer and fish fries, no entertainment outdoors worth much - just not what we are in to. We gave it a shot though. Back to the land of real winter, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers vs. Minnesota Twins games, lots of fishing,
and plenty of great German beer.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:05 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
So what is there to do in Athens?

Old 02-22-2009, 10:49 AM

You sure ask a lot of questions

Athens = small town.

Small town next to bigger town

Small town 80 minutes from bigger cities

Small town has town square with a couple of restaurants.

I don't fish, but I guess you could fish around here, hunting seems popular as well.

You could also drive to Huntsville and see what's going around there.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:01 AM

205 posts, read 589,992 times
A town is pretty much what you make it. At Athens State University, there are a lot of cultural things going on. The Fiddler's Convention in the Fall, Dogwood festival in the spring. You can of course go fishing or biking or walking. There is a walking tour of the historic districts published, and I will bet that the Chamber of Commerce has a copy. There are organizations that meet and you can pick whatever interests you or start a new one. Just like anywhere. It may not be Detroit or Chicago, but it is safe and a great place to live in my opinion. It isn't perfect, but it is, in my opinion, a great option. Unless your life revolves around winter sports...like downhill skiing or bob sledding...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area