Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:19 AM

692 posts, read 1,503,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Because a doctor who is doing his'her job, especially at a first meeting, would say so. How is he/she to know what you "already know"? Does he/she pick or choose what unhealthy issues he sees to tell you about because it might upset you or are sensitive about it?

"Heaven help" a doctor that says "I guess you know you need to lose some weight"?

I don't want my doc to soft-pedal or worse, ignore, anything with me, whether it's a bad habit I'm aware of or not.

Good luck with your health issues tammie2. Mono can be worse than many people think and those steroids can create some nasty issues.
I see your point, however, I think they know, just like the smoker who knows quitting is better, life choices are just that and we are all free to make them, then live with the consequences...for now anyway.

Thanks for the good wishes, you are correct, I knew nothing of mono or its seriousness until I was over 30 with it. 106 fever the first week and 103 for the following 3, not to mention the aftereffects(I was tested for every autoimmune condition under the sun until they picked one). I don't ever remember being so sick-or for so long. Luckily I was diagnosed and am fine now, just battling 30 lbs. I eat well, I excersize, but it comes off slower than it goes on, story of my life

Sounds like you have personal experience, I hope you are up and running as good as new.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:28 AM

692 posts, read 1,503,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Off topic but we've had exactly the opposite experience. While the doctor there seems pretty good, it seems we're waiting and waiting and waiting even when there are no other patients in the building. Not a medical issue but maybe a process issue.
Wow, that is surprising, we only had to wait once when they had an office full of flu patients and I understood the wait when I saw the full waiting room. Maybe it depends on the doctor in that day since there are four of them...don't know.

We are still trying to find a pedi for my son. I found one that accepted new patients, but weren't comfortable with Quinlan's issues, the docs that are ok with his issues aren't accepting new patients, so we have become frequent guests at the clinic.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:38 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie2 View Post

We are still trying to find a pedi for my son. I found one that accepted new patients, but weren't comfortable with Quinlan's issues,
We have not been successful finding a pediatrician in Huntsville - none are accepting new patients. (I think people in Madison have had better luck.) We just all go to Dr. Garrard.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:22 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,502 times
It's hard to find doctors anymore--and the problem is nationwide... might want to steer our children into medical careers.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:29 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashvilleishome View Post
I agree..it's All in the way it is presented! Of course I fully expect to be told that I need to lose weight (I have been overweight my entire life and I am not stupid and KNOW I need to lose weight) but some dr.'s are downright RUDE and extremely judgemental about it..and I am already a very "doctor-phobic" person and quite dreading a trip to the doctor to begin with and would like to make it as painless as possible..if that makes any sense. I know NOTHING at all about dr's in this area at all..so recommendations for or against dr's is always helpful...and I certainly don't want to have to deal with being called a fat a** or rudeness on top of that..which I have dealt with before.

Dramamamma...THANKS for your DM..I'll definitely check them out!!
if you ever encounter someone/anyone with a terrible presentation about your weight I would say to them

Weight comes off , Uglyness does not!

Old 10-14-2009, 01:31 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama View Post
It's hard to find doctors anymore--and the problem is nationwide... might want to steer our children into medical careers.

yes, a family nowadays should have 3 kids: the lawyer, the doctor, and the black sheep >>>> Seems I still need a lawyer

Old 10-14-2009, 02:11 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,744 times
I'm actually always surprised at how rarely doctors mention my weight. Right now I am medically "obese" - only by about 10 pounds, but still. I'm always surprised when a doctor doesn't mention it.

So that said, Dr. Kevin French (an internist) doesn't even mention weight.

I think doctors often don't mention it because they figure there's no point. That no one is going to lose weight until they make it a lifelong priority to be a healthy weight. As Charles points out, nothing short of a lifelong commitment to healthy eating will actually make any long term difference.

However, I do agree that a doctor who is doing their job will discuss weight and nutrition with patients... including offering patients tools to help with weight loss (nutrition and calorie intake guidance.) Even people who KNOW they have to lose weight may not know what their personal caloric intake should be, or how certain foods signal hunger and others don't. But it should be respectful and the patient always reserves the right to make their own choices about their health... the doctor is there to advise, educate, and treat.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:02 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
My doctor always ask me "look down, can you still see your shoes?"

Old 10-14-2009, 08:41 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
I'm actually always surprised at how rarely doctors mention my weight. Right now I am medically "obese" - only by about 10 pounds, but still. I'm always surprised when a doctor doesn't mention it.

So that said, Dr. Kevin French (an internist) doesn't even mention weight.

I think doctors often don't mention it because they figure there's no point. That no one is going to lose weight until they make it a lifelong priority to be a healthy weight. As Charles points out, nothing short of a lifelong commitment to healthy eating will actually make any long term difference.

However, I do agree that a doctor who is doing their job will discuss weight and nutrition with patients... including offering patients tools to help with weight loss (nutrition and calorie intake guidance.) Even people who KNOW they have to lose weight may not know what their personal caloric intake should be, or how certain foods signal hunger and others don't. But it should be respectful and the patient always reserves the right to make their own choices about their health... the doctor is there to advise, educate, and treat.
I agree, but I do not think a doctor is doing their patients any favors by tiptoeing around the weight issue (if there is one). Some doctors are pretty rude about weight, but some patients are also hypersensitive and see any comment about their weight as rude behavior.

Some other posters do have a point that it is possible for a fat person to be healthier than a skinny person, but it is also a fact that being overweight or obese vastly increases your risk of developing high blood pressure, diabetes, other cardiovascular conditions, cancer, etc. Excess weight is a risk factor for a lot of serious diseases. People do not do themselves any favors by ignoring that. Just because some overweight people are healthy in spite of their extra weight does not mean every thin person's arteries are clogged with cholesterol, or that every overweight person has the heart of a six year-old. That is totally unrealistic.

Sorry for hijacking, but I felt that I had to make that clear.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:29 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,502 times
Wasn't it the heart healthy doctor who died of a cardiac arrest while jogging? What was his name? Anyone remember it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area