Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 06:27 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,587,700 times

Advertisements

I am also concerned about the proposed rezoning for the residential area as well. The owner claims he won't put in apartments or townhouses, but according to our research of the Madison gov't files this is NOT the case. He can, if he desires, put in high density housing of exactly that nature.

Who is telling the truth?

The Planning Commision will meet to vote on these two resolutions on Monday, February 8th at 6pm in the Madison Municipal Complex (that's City Hall), 100 Hughes Rd. I know that's the dinner hour for most of us, but you owe it to yourself to be there!

There are two plans in the works. The first is to REZONE a piece of that land immediately on the corner to allow a gas station and convenience store. The published plan does not specifically state what commercial use is intended for this piece of land, however a presentation was given [BY/TO on X DATE] about the benefits of a gas station and convenience store.

The second plan is to REZONE the remaining land to R3A High Density Residential. According to the City's Comprehensive Plan the zoning category R3A is a subset of RH High Density Residential, NOT Single Family Detached Residential as it is stated in Resolution No. 2009-310-R and printed on the included map. This is misleading as High Density Residential could include apartments and rowhomes. ARE TRAILOR PARKS CONSIDERED HIGH DENSITY?

This is a HUGE piece of land. It starts at Balch Road on the west and stretches all the way to the back of Spencer Green on the east. Spencer Green fronts onto Wall Triana Highway just north of the intersection of Gillespie and Wall Triana Highway. On the south it starts at Gillespie Road and reaches all the way to the back of West Highlands (north of Columbia Elementary School), Ashley Green, Brass Oak at Sagefield, and Brass Oak Estates along Gooch Road going towards Wall Triana Highway.

This land is technically three different parcels which ultimately could be sold to three different parties. The acreage is defined in the above Madison County land record and signed by Charles (Charlie) W. Brown, the current Chairperson of the Madison Planning Commission. In all, more than 195 acres is up for grabs.

Main concerns about Parcel #3 are A) the number and type of dwellings to be built on this land, B) how these dwellings will be accessed and the impact on neighborhood traffic, and C) most importantly the impact on Columbia Elementary School especially when combined with the prospect of even more housing on Parcels #1 and #2. Columbia Elementary School sits on the upper left (north west) corner of these combined parcels and is labeled AG Agricultural on the maps provided for both of the Resolutions.

On page 4 of Resolution No. 2009-310-R, Parcel #3, Section 3, #1 reads "Dwelling unit cap of 300 single-family units". This statement appears to apply to Parcel #3 alone.

As you can see, there is a lot of convoluted stuff in here. But bottom line, the facts are out there and the fact is, someone is planning something big and we might be the recipients of the negative fall out.

I only pray that we can win this one. I am doubtful about it as it is already a foregone conclusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 07:48 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,426,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post
Who is telling the truth?
The truth is out there ... or maybe not

Quote:
. ARE TRAILOR PARKS CONSIDERED HIGH DENSITY?
Only if stacked up to make at least 2-story

Quote:
This is a HUGE piece of land. It starts at Balch Road on the west and stretches all the way to the back of Spencer Green on the east. Spencer Green fronts onto Wall Triana Highway just north of the intersection of Gillespie and Wall Triana Highway. On the south it starts at Gillespie Road and reaches all the way to the back of West Highlands (north of Columbia Elementary School), Ashley Green, Brass Oak at Sagefield, and Brass Oak Estates along Gooch Road going towards Wall Triana Highway.
I see the "urban" farming operation enclosed within these boundaries is folding up or something. This was to be expected - the landowner eventually sells his land (especially when the kids have no interest in following in their parents footsteps), they don't care who and what the developers do with the land. It's a business decision. Their charity stops at donating a small piece of land to a new school or other "non-profit", but the rest goes to the highest bidder (after re-zoning of course). And that's how Madison grew to what it is today. Gillespie, Spencer are real families that own(ed) this land. Next it's gonna be the swath of land (farm, barn) north of Gillespie, or east of Slaughter& north of the RR (where Old Ivy, Windstone have been erected in recent years as part of that land).

Quote:
most importantly the impact on Columbia Elementary School especially when combined with the prospect of even more housing on Parcels #1 and #2.
Bussing is happening as we speak... - should Columbia become overcrowded - until the next rezoning...

Quote:

As you can see, there is a lot of convoluted stuff in here. But bottom line, the facts are out there and the fact is, someone is planning something big and we might be the recipients of the negative fall out.

I only pray that we can win this one. I am doubtful about it as it is already a foregone conclusion.
Pray hard.

Last edited by friday13; 01-06-2010 at 07:56 AM..

Old 01-06-2010, 08:35 AM

692 posts, read 1,503,566 times
I would definitely be concerned about the HD housing. However more in the sense of trying to find out what type of HD housing they are planning to add. If it is a Providence type of HD housing, than I believe it will be fine, if it is a section 8 apartment type of HD housing, that will be another story

Coming from an area where condos and townhomes often sell for more than SF homes, I can tell you that not all HD housing is bad, however I don't know how much of a demand there would be for overpriced HD housing in Huntsville, so you could be in for a real treat, if not now, possibly in the future when the newness wears off and that apartment owner starts looking to generate more income by accepting Section 8 vouchers.

I am glad we picked HC!!!! Madison was on my list before we came down to house hunt but traffic/infrastructure and school rezoning concerns caused us to pick Huntsville/HC. School issues aside, we love where we live!!

On a side note, you mention the proximity of the school, how far is the school from the proposed C store? It is very possible they will have issues getting a license to sell alcohol and/or cigarretes if they are within a certain distance, might be a good point to research and bring up(I don't remember the distance requirements for AL, only that they are there). Just a thought.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:24 PM

38 posts, read 92,797 times
Here are the facts:

R3A=Single Family Detached

R4 = Multifamily Residential

http://www.madisonal.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=232

Ionlife's subdivision is also zoned R3A, as is mine.

See also http://www.madisonal.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=182 , Page 15 for details on what is allowed in an R3A zone.

If the owner wanted to put in a mobile home park, they could do so under the current zoning of AG.

If the Commercial rezoning passes, I would love for the gas station to have one of the "low-profile" signs, not the kind on a pole.

Last edited by uahacct; 01-06-2010 at 09:05 PM..

Old 01-06-2010, 09:27 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uahacct View Post
Ionlife's subdivision is also zoned R3A, as is mine.

Shh... Watch it with the facts. All those people in those McMansions didn't pay attention to their zoning when they bought their houses. I guess they never figured out why they could put such a big house on a small lot. I'm guessing there will be much more finger pointing and crying about non-disclosure...

Old 01-07-2010, 04:53 AM

692 posts, read 1,503,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Shh... Watch it with the facts. All those people in those McMansions didn't pay attention to their zoning when they bought their houses.
I think part of the problem here is zoning changes. They happen-all over the country. If you are THAT concerned with having a gas station or having a store or whatever close to you, buy in an established neighborhood where all of the land has been developed. Yes, changes can still happen, but are not as likely, and they are typically in much older neighborhoods where not enough space was left for commercial development.

I just looked it up, we are in low density residential and I never knew that. I didn't need to, the neighborhood told me everything I needed to know-it was all already here, I have a decent sized yard for the kids/dogs, I can't borrow a cup of sugar from my neighbor out the window(my biggest pet peeve in housing), I have a decent amount of front yard as a buffer for the kids. Between what's here and the established HOA, I am all good. We will never have a gas station on the corner, my neighbor will never open a thrift store out of the garage or put a trailer in place of their home if it burns down

I can't believe that people can logically believe that the farm across the street will remain a farm, heck, their property/development was a farm not too long ago. Progress, it happens.

Personally for me, we didn't buy established for these reasons, I don't really care what the neighbor is doing, I have been around development all of my life and know the costs associated with new homes. Buying a new home is like buying a new car, they lose value when driven off the lot in most instances They recover, but the break even point is typically ~5 years out. Our biggest concern in our home purchases are making sure that we can get out without taking a bath if Chris were to be relocated-AGAIN. I like it here and hope it doesn't happen, but reality doesn't always work off my want list.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:17 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie2 View Post
If you are THAT concerned with having a gas station or having a store or whatever close to you, buy in an established neighborhood where all of the land has been developed.
What would be (a) good candidate neighborhood(s)?

Old 01-08-2010, 09:41 PM

After doing a lot of intensive research, I have learned that the interconnections between lawyers, family members, developers who change business titles according to the times, and more are all so interwoven it gives me no hope whatsoever regarding our plight. The fingers in these pies have been interlaced for so many years and decades, we are in a pile of ****. My only consolation is it doesn't matter if you live in Madison, Huntsville or the county. It exists EVERYWHERE. Buyer beware ... for sure.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:47 PM

The Huntsville Committee of 100 (http://huntsvillecommitteeof100.org/bizpac.php - broken link)
check out one of the names... he's a developer and on the bizpac board of directors... newbies beware... and if you buy new here, don't buy anywhere near a farm... but if you want great schools, who cares if a gas station moves in next door?

Old 01-08-2010, 10:15 PM

In fact, if you have a choice, why come here? The intricacies astound. I can't even begin to wrap my brain around the 4th generation soy bean farmer who has another gaseous career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area