Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:10 AM

523 posts, read 1,003,907 times

Advertisements

Well, fortunately there was a Kroger ad in the Sunday paper.....and they are having a HUGE meat sale. Haven't seen these prices in years. The meat sale is only thru Wednesday....better hurry.

Kroger (http://atlanta.inserts2online.com/customer_Frame.jsp?divID=011&drpStoreID=00517 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 10:46 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmaster View Post
Well, fortunately there was a Kroger ad in the Sunday paper.....and they are having a HUGE meat sale. Haven't seen these prices in years. The meat sale is only thru Wednesday....better hurry.

Kroger (http://atlanta.inserts2online.com/customer_Frame.jsp?divID=011&drpStoreID=00517 - broken link)

I shop for meat exclusively at Kroger 1-2 times a week (brand-name chicken, Tyson, and the other one ), so I'm able to compare. Cannot speak of other meats as I shop Star Market promos for beef.
I have not seen this promotion much different than others (and every time I drop in there's a promotion). Except for the $1.79lb boneless skinless breast (usually $1.99 on promo IIRC), everything else is on par with past promotions. Even the $0.39 leg quarters (Value something brand), not out of this world.
I've been a faithful Kroger chicken shopper because of proximity, and secondly, compared to Walmart (close to home as well) there seem to be a higher turnaround (so they run promotions constantly, based on high volume sales i think), meat seems fresher, Walmart looks stale, although within expiration.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:22 PM

93 posts, read 202,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
I don't expect there's a big demand in Huntsville for the SF Chronicle, even if it is a good paper.

True enough. Eh, I'd probably weep after reading all the goings-on that I'm missing... but I do miss my daily fix of Jon Carroll.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:26 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb256 View Post
True enough. Eh, I'd probably weep after reading all the goings-on that I'm missing... but I do miss my daily fix of Jon Carroll.
Surely you can subscribe online these days.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:34 PM

93 posts, read 202,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Surely you can subscribe online these days.
Yeah.... went to sfgate.com and signed up for the RSS feed. Not the same as the paper in my hands, but what you gonna do?

Old 01-20-2010, 06:43 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb256 View Post
Yeah.... went to sfgate.com and signed up for the RSS feed. Not the same as the paper in my hands, but what you gonna do?
Yup. I subscribe to several "papers" on-line, but I'm old school. There's no substitute for a paper in my hands...getting that newsprint all over my hands and clothes...

Old 01-05-2019, 03:32 PM

653 posts, read 589,142 times
Default Huntsville Times Thread: Renewed

Came across this old thread after receiving my bill for the Huntsville Times. Yep, I'm one of those odd people who likes to read the news paper that is made from paper with printed words made from ink.

Not that the Huntsville Times is anything great, just like reading a 'newspaper'. Looks like the HTimes has increased their fees by about $100 for the year. Wed/Fri/Sun delivery is now up to $244.60.

While trying to find the Times' subscription rates, I came across some other interesting sites. Apparently you can subscribe to the Huntsville Times along with other newspapers from a Discount Site. Paper deliveries; not just digital. For example:

https://www.discountednewspapers.com...mes/index.html

Have any of you sites like the above to receive delivery of the Times? $10.79/month for Wed/Sun versus Hsv Times subscription rate of $24.09. https://subscribe.al.com/?SiteCode=HT&zipcode=35758

What's the catch?

Old 01-05-2019, 05:01 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
Not in AL but we quit taking our local paper as the business office couldn't get the bill straight, always a mess and it was handled by some company from in IL. Also, the paper had gone down hill with most of it a localized version of USA TODAY which I don't want. Classifieds are practically gone. Only thing worth looking at are the obits. They have laid off most of their staff because of poor circulation.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:17 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Back in the good ole days when it was 7 days a week it was a pretty good newspaper. Then, it went with the al.com thing, and now there's no longer really a Huntsville Times or Birmingham News or Mobile whatever. It's really a shame. Real papers seem to have hung around in small towns and really large cities, but not in us medium sized ones, at least in Alabama.

I subscribed for years, and continued to after the merger or takeover or whatever it was. Supposedly the subscription was good for both the paper version and the digital version ... sounded like a pretty good deal actually. But I could never get the online version because it didn't recognize me as a subscriber. After multiple phone calls (which wound up in Colorado and once even in Milwaukee), saying all was fixed, I still didn't get on so I dropped my subscription. It just wasn't worth the hassle.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 505 times
I know someone who delivers for the Times and I showed him this thread and this was his reply to me:

“This Sunday, they come at 1am so no one should be late. But if people think incorrect things like it has to be there by 5:30 am and the carriers handle coupons and ads, then I don't think it will help to say anything or no wonder people complain. Also, they think the papers at gas stations come straight from "The Times". They are delivered by the same home carriers on a few routes and mostly country routes. They also believe the Times "charges taxes". The city of Huntsville or state of Alabama passed the law to exempt taxes. A business can't just charge a tax if they choose. They also believe the Times had control over coupons. That's decided by Smartsource and P&G, etc. And if someone didn't have a Best Buy ad 5 weeks in a row, Best Buy didn't advertise or that carrier decide to single you out and took it out as he drove by your house.”

Also:
“And things are different now. We get inserts from Birmingham and papers printed in Nashville. Now, both as of February are getting out of the printing business like The Times. We will be getting inserts from Montgomery and papers from Tuscaloosa. And I guess in 2 or so years when they stop, we will get one from Des Moines, Iowa and another from Knoxville, TN. ”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area