Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 02:13 PM

262 posts, read 937,493 times

Advertisements

Yes, being away from the coast is definitely safer, but it's not an absolute. Charlie did quite a bit of damage to the central part of the state, where no one expected it.

A much worse threat to interior FL, narrowly avoided, was back in '99. A monster hurricane - Floyd - that measured 600 miles across was off Cocoa Beach and looked for all the world as if it would landfall there and track straight across. The size and intensity of the storm would have meant a catastrophe, even well inland. People from the east coast had already evac'd over here, it was quite scary. Fortunately for the entire of central FL, it turned away and tracked north.

And then there's the threat of tornados. Central FL has had more than its share. So being away from the coast doesn't guarantee safety from severe storms, sad to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 7,401 times
Smile Want to move to Florida

[quote=CSC;1015908]Hireal estate agent)

................................at least with a hurricane you get warnings, where you do not with Tornados, Flooding, Ice Storms, etc. I feel very safe in Florida and would never leave her, even if there is a hurricane, unless I really have to go.

Hi
Saw your quote and just need to ask you some advise. We are currently in Tennessee and we are planning on moving to Florida within the next 6 months. We have only been here 1 year (from South Africa) but really can't think of anything negative except the cold. My husband and I prefer heat and humidity to the cold and ice and we have always dreamed of staying at the coast. I have 2 boys 3 & 7. Can you give me advise as to which areas will suit us best, I have looked at Clearwater, Sarasota and Panama City. What area is family friendly with good schools and where we can get a nice size house on a large stand that will have a ocean view. Also we need to keep in mind it must be buzzing a bit cause we also need good jobs. (where they pay decent salaries) Not to expensive cause we are just middleclass hard working people. I sure will appreciate a response from you as this is a very important step in our life's. Thank you

Old 07-13-2007, 09:01 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Is very difficult to predict were a hurricane will hit and how devastating can it be. The southeast part of the is probably more prompt to get hit. The west side of the state does get hit also but we have more time to prepare than other areas in the east or southeast.

I feel very secure in Navarre, we got hit by hurricane Dennis 2 years ago and the damage in the area was not that bad. I was expecting the worst and we came out un-touched by the hurricane and we live about 3 -4 miles from Navarre beach. The beach area got hit very hard but is expected.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:35 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
The weather forecasters say that the hurricanes that come off the Gulf of Mexico have the potential to be worse because the water is warmer there and the warm water is what accelarates that...however think back over some of the hurricanes of the last 20 years...

I don't believe Andrew came from the Gulf, didn't it come from below Florida?

Hurricane Francis came from the East coast.

Charlie came from the Gulf and hit the West coast pretty badly. Katrina crossed the South of Florida starting East of Florida, moved across the tip AND got alot worse out in the Gulf before it hit New Orleans.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:27 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
[quote=Lisa_from_Debary;1065232]The weather forecasters say that the hurricanes that come off the Gulf of Mexico have the potential to be worse because the water is warmer there and the warm water is what accelarates that...however think back over some of the hurricanes of the last 20 years...

I don't believe Andrew came from the Gulf, didn't it come from below Florida?
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/newpage/graphics/path1.jpg (broken link)
Hurricane Francis came from the East coast.

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/WEATHER/09/04/hurricane.frances/story.frances.moving.accu.gif (broken link)

Charlie came from the Gulf and hit the West coast pretty badly.

Katrina crossed the South of Florida starting East of Florida,
FLHurricane.com: Google Map Plot of Katrina (2005) Google Maps Hurricane Track Overlay moved across the tip AND got alot worse out in the Gulf before it hit New Orleans.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:33 PM

2 posts, read 14,720 times
I'm very new to this sight. In fact, this is the first message i've tried to send so i hope it goes through alright. I'm 26 years old and live in Southeastern Ohio. I have only been to Florida 1 time in my life and that was in June of 2005 with my girlfriend at the time. We went to Key West for a week via her time-share at Hyatt Winward Pointe. I fell in love with the weather, the ocean and the overall beauty of the parts of the state the I saw due to the fact we drove 22 hours to get there. Anyway, I am an EMT right now and start my Paramedic this August in hope of becoming a flight medic someday. My question is, where would some good EMS stations be that are around the ocean? I plan on moving to Florida very, very soon next year after I am a Paramedic. I am single and have no kids, so at the point and time, I'm not shooting for a spectacular family and kid friendly area. I want to live in an area that is close to a beach and has plenty of fun for a single guy on my days off. I would however, like to be in the parts of Florida that stays the warmest year-round. Even 40-50 degrees is fine for me cause you have to remember I live in Ohio where at times in the winter and fall for that matter gets freezing rain and down to almost 0 degrees. I have only been able to find websights about Miami-Dade EMS and Lee Co. EMS. But unfortunately, I haven't been able to find out what to do to get hired and what the pay is. I only make $11/hr here as a Basic EMT, but I know cost of living in Florida is a lot higher, so I just want to make sure I find an area to live that I can have a desent apartment until I build some better credit to get a house. I am definately moving to Florida though, so any advise you Florida Natives can give me would be very apriciated. Thank you very much, and God bless.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:41 PM

2 posts, read 14,720 times
One more thing. Where I said I am new to this websight, can anyone at all explain to me how it works? In other words, I don't know how to go back and check to see if people answer my questions and comments. And sense I wrote that lengthy post a few minutes ago, I would love to be able to get the feedback on it. So if anyone is bored, and feels like letting me know how, I would greatly apriciate it.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:00 PM

57 posts, read 244,890 times
ekpemsboy

go to the top of the page where it says "thread tools" and subscribe to thread. Just make sure that you change the default "no email" to e-mai notification. Then you will get an e-mail when someone replies to the thread and also a link in the e-mail that will bring you back to the thread that you subscribed to.

Also, just go through and read some of the threads as you have time, you can find out so much information and you can also jump in on the threads at anytime if you have certain questions.

Good luck in your search

Old 07-21-2007, 06:24 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,525 times
What side of Florida is safer ? Thats easy, The top on the east coast. Fernandina Beach area and History will show thats the least hit area.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:45 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekpemsboy View Post
I'm very new to this sight. In fact, this is the first message i've tried to send so i hope it goes through alright. I'm 26 years old and live in Southeastern Ohio. I have only been to Florida 1 time in my life and that was in June of 2005 with my girlfriend at the time. We went to Key West for a week via her time-share at Hyatt Winward Pointe. I fell in love with the weather, the ocean and the overall beauty of the parts of the state the I saw due to the fact we drove 22 hours to get there. Anyway, I am an EMT right now and start my Paramedic this August in hope of becoming a flight medic someday. My question is, where would some good EMS stations be that are around the ocean? I plan on moving to Florida very, very soon next year after I am a Paramedic. I am single and have no kids, so at the point and time, I'm not shooting for a spectacular family and kid friendly area. I want to live in an area that is close to a beach and has plenty of fun for a single guy on my days off. I would however, like to be in the parts of Florida that stays the warmest year-round. Even 40-50 degrees is fine for me cause you have to remember I live in Ohio where at times in the winter and fall for that matter gets freezing rain and down to almost 0 degrees. I have only been able to find websights about Miami-Dade EMS and Lee Co. EMS. But unfortunately, I haven't been able to find out what to do to get hired and what the pay is. I only make $11/hr here as a Basic EMT, but I know cost of living in Florida is a lot higher, so I just want to make sure I find an area to live that I can have a desent apartment until I build some better credit to get a house. I am definately moving to Florida though, so any advise you Florida Natives can give me would be very apriciated. Thank you very much, and God bless.
The starting pay without road time won't be any higher in South Florida. Its so low I don't think the starting pay is listed anymore. Trust me you don't want to see South Florida through the eyes of a medic!!! Burnout is very fast as well as turnover. North Florida you may want to check out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes