Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2017, 05:13 PM

7,260 posts, read 4,635,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Saw this article about the latent danger of Harvey
Is it accurate? Sounds researched-so likely- I dont have base to judge
Do not be fooled: Hurricane Harvey's deadliest threat is just starting
With the storm stalling out and meandering around for several days, possibly into late this coming week, it's rain bands will continue to dump large amounts of scattered heavy rains across east Texas until it moves out or dissipates due to its proximity to the available moisture of the Gulf of Mexico. The rain charts show a large swath of 20-30+inches but really it'll be scattered across those areas, where ever these skinny bands set up will be the heaviest but a fair anount overall entire region likely, but bottom line is it'll be a lot overall and many rivers across east TX will flood, many to near/above record levels. Water is the biggest killer in hurricanes accounting for over 75% of all deaths so accurate to say Harvey is just getting started on causing big problems. Rain/flood threat only now with the occasional small breif tornado threat northeast of the storm center.

I'll see if I can post some river height projection maps tonight or tomorrow along with some rain guage networks to show what has fallen thus far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 06:41 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
My dad and his wife were almost caught at her house just south of Seguin TX on the high bank of the Guadalupe River (30 ft above River) in'98 when there was torrential rain that cause flooding on Guadalupe,and San Marcos...
GVRA released Starke Dam in Seguin and others further upriver w/o much advance warning in dead of night
They were lucky to get out alve w/her 2 dogs
Flood level was above the roof of single story house...

I really worry about people who maybe have not flooded in other storms being caught by surprise...
At night you REALLY can't see moving water very well at all...

Know couple living in Houston off Chimney Rock --north of Braes Bayou --and she txted photo of Bayou from early PM and it was not close to top of bank..husband said when he went out about 5 it was lower...so they think their drainage will be ok...

Old 08-26-2017, 07:35 PM

Wow! That's intense and I'm afraid we'll hear similar stories in the next several days unfortunately.

Was able to glance breifly for Victoria info and from some of the images I saw coming out, now that its calmed down from earlier, its indicative of strong Tropical Storm(39-73mph winds) wind damage with gust into hurricane force. That lines up with the official wind reading earlier today of sustained winds near 60, gust in the 80's mph range. Typical damage that brings is scattered here and there whole trees down, many branches down, occasional gas station gas pump awnings blown over, power can be out several days to a week+, car ports (the no wall corrugated metal type) blown down, occasional store signs missing pieces. Overall houses typically do ok with a few scattered instances of minor issues such as peice of siding missing, mobile homes dont fair too well in those winds though and could roll over/open. Saw some National Guard trucks had arrived today so if anyone needs assistance its already coming into town. Need to watch the river height on the west side of town though...will look up river chart/official height prediction late tonight or tomorrow.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:55 PM

Lot of shingles ripped off, sheet metal gone from buildings---in photos I saw
One apt complex off Navarro had brick facade ripped off...
Sister in law is in newer neighborhood...not many mature trees so that likely a blessing...and so far no flooding in street...and she doesn't think roof damaged (a blessing if so)...
I worry about her...I think she bought meals to microwave and reheat...the dry vs frozen kind but don't know if they are edible w/o microwaving...
She is 85...still very sharp about most things but when she is anxious/hurried she seems to lose some sharpness...she was in WalMart Thursday buying supplies...

Saw a FB page about Hurricane Harvey has photos of road to my nephew's place in Inez...
several trees or large limbs down across road...
Needs chain saws and front loaders to clear....can't get to highway/Victoria until they are gone
So can't check on his mom...

Old 08-26-2017, 07:56 PM

And here's the official NOAA Guadalupe River Flood guage for West side of Victoria, future heights will also be determined by how much rain falls upstream in the coming days. Blue line is actual measurement, purple line/dots are predicted height (subject to change!!).

You can find interactive map with charts for other rivers/points from NOAA/USGS here (just zoom in right on that map on front web page and click/tap a colored dot for chart, also somewhere on that site is an ability to receive text alerts if meets a certain height...I have that for a river near me): https://water.weather.gov/ahps/forecasts.php

Edit: Looks like set text/email alerts here (find guage on map, click/tap guage and select "Subscribe to WaterAlert" on that guages pop up, but don't solely rely on it for safety): https://maps.waterdata.usgs.gov/mapper/wateralert/

Last edited by Psychoma; 08-26-2017 at 09:08 PM..

Old 08-26-2017, 08:35 PM

930pCDT/1030pEST: H-E-A-V-Y rain band entering Houston, flash flooding some locations, 3-4inches PER HOUR rate! 4-8in has fallen in short time period this evening and continues to rain. With the added headache of night time.

Edit: NWS Houston reporting water rescues on-going.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:53 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,803,324 times
I found a river guage for Jacinto River in Galveston

It is currently up 10 feet above previous level

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/u...ate=2017-08-27

It was at 52.5 ft when I posted this.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:25 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,803,324 times
Houston is requesting DO NOT GET IN YOUR ATTIC.

If top floor flooded go on roof top.

Many of Houston guages are off the charts.
However, instaneous values still listed.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/u...20170827060000

Old 08-27-2017, 06:23 AM

Ya, unfortunately the predicted catastrophic flooding is occurring around such a major population center! As you said, telling people to get on their roofs. Flooding is the biggest killer in tropical systems accounting for over 75% of deaths in US landfalling hurricanes. Outside of hurricanes, most flood deaths in the US are actually killed in their cars...they just keep going instead of turning around, something odd about water that draws us.

Rain totals Houston metro area thru Sunday morning just before 7aCDT/8EST:

Old 08-27-2017, 06:45 AM

We have long time friend of our daughter in Houston north of Braes Bayou, off Chimney Rock
She posted pix of her street on FB...water well into yards and she said was at her front door about 40 min ago...
Tried to get them to evac yesterday about 5 but the water in the bayou had gone down since earlier in the day (because rain has lessened of course)...and I am sure she thought I was overly pessimistic...told her story of my dad being flooding in '98--
They decided to stay...one story house...two kids and two dogs...
Now they can't get out...
That is the story of flooding all too often...

Page on FB of Harvey postings from all over...
Initial about the immediate Gulf coast impact area
Now posts in Houston area of people being flooded and needing rescue...

This event won't make any climate change deniers like Trump believers, but just compare this disaster with the part of the trailer for Gore's new film about climate change when there is the reference to the 9-11 site being predicted to flood if there was monster storm...people said that is SO Fake...but it happened w/Sandy...
These storms can't be stopped...so,they are likely to repeat at some point...and be worse...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes