Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2017, 06:38 PM

333 posts, read 287,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Psychoma and Cambium, you both have been absolutely wonderful in keeping us all in the loop with the updates. Other folks in this thread as well. People are asking the right questions and we're thinking about all the right things.

Thank you guys, I don't want you folks to feel like this is a thank-less job. I'm sure I can speak for many here that your information has been invaluable. Thank you again guys.
Hear hear! So agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 06:39 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,090,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Ones on tv? What channel/who
Local to Florida
Or on Internet blogs

I think Levi Cowen in his AM blog said it would turn after clearing Cuba but part is still scraping around I think
The CNN meteorologist just said "IF irma takes the easterly track and hits Fort Myers..." and "IF irma takes the easterly track and hits Sarasota..."

First time I've heard a meteorologist use this terminology with Irma, making me believe she may not hit Florida at all!

Old 09-09-2017, 06:41 PM

7,260 posts, read 4,635,252 times
General motion so far since arriving at Cuba, almost looked like it wobbled NNW or N last few frames, but we've seen that wobble before.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:42 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Ones on tv? What channel/who
Local to Florida
Or on Internet blogs

I think Levi Cowen in his AM blog said it would turn after clearing Cuba but part is still scraping around I think
Cuba is a long island. If that's the case, it will go well into the Gulf, then head north and end up a Cat 5 before slamming into the Florida panhandle or Alabama. There's a lot of warm water between Cuba and the panhandle if it doesn't make a landfall on the west coast of FL.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:44 PM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Interesting from The Weather Channel. Most of Miami drains by gravity. The water goes into the sewer and out into Biscayne Bay but with the very strong East winds blowing in like that and raising Biscayne Bay and pushing water the other way, that will slow down the process of the sewers working. Seeing some flooding in Miami now.

He just said live while standing in flooding the water is 88°F

Old 09-09-2017, 06:46 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,167,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Cuba is a long island. If that's the case, it will go well into the Gulf, then head north and end up a Cat 5 before slamming into the Florida panhandle or Alabama. There's a lot of warm water between Cuba and the panhandle if it doesn't make a landfall on the west coast of FL.
This is my worry. I'm in Mississippi, and we were devastated from Katrina. Everyone has expected this storm to hit Florida, so no evacuations in any of the Gulf states other than Florida.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:55 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
This is my worry. I'm in Mississippi, and we were devastated from Katrina. Everyone has expected this storm to hit Florida, so no evacuations in any of the Gulf states other than Florida.
yeah, it's not suppose to go there, but it wasn't suppose to hug the west coast of Fla either. If it doesn't head north in a few hours, all bets are off.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:58 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,736,747 times
Maybe it's my old eyes, but the VERY recent animations seem to show NW or even N motion.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:00 PM

7,260 posts, read 4,635,252 times
Official power outages as of 8pEST Saturday 9 September 2017 (source: power company) (some of these will be storm related, others will be every day variety mixed in): Note: crews will go and attempt to restore power until winds reach a certain limit, then you wait. The "area" comment after the county listing is just to give people an idea where each county is since most people know city locations better and does not mean those specific cities are without power, just somewhere in that county). (Up)(down) comments signify number of outages went up/down from 1hr ago.

West Coast:
-Monroe Co (Everglades?): 70
-Collier Co (Everglades City,Naples,Marco Island area): 770(up)
-Lee Co (Ft Myers,Cape Cora,Bonita Springs area): 140(down)
-Charlotte Co (Punta Gorda area): 350(up)
-De Soto Co (Arcadia area): 130
-Sarasota Co (Sarasota,North Port,Venice area): 300(up)
-Manatee Co (Myakka City,Bradenton area): 60(down)
-Suwannee Co (Live Oak,McAlpin area): restored
-Columbia Co (Lake City area): 10

East Coast:
-Miami-Dade Co (Miami,Kendall,Homestead area): 49,780(down)
-Broward Co. (Hollywood,Fort Lauderdale,Pomparo Beach area): 18,480(down)
-Palm Beach Co. (Boca Raton,West Palm Beach area): 6,190(up)
-Martin Co. (Indiantown area): 290(down)
-St Lucie Co. (Fort Pierce,Port St Lucie area): 200(up)
-Okeechobee Co.: 30
-Indian River Co (Vero Beach,Sebastian area): 210(down)
-Brevard Co (Titusville,Melbourne area): 860(down)
-Seminole Co (NE corner of Orlando, Sanford, Geneva area): 10(down)
-Volusia Co (Daytona Beach,Deltona area): 120(down)
-Flagler Co (Palm Coast area): 20
-St Johns Co (St. Augustine,Crescent Beach area): 50(up)
-Putnam Co (Palatka area): -restored-
-Nassau Co (just north of Jacksonville,Callahan area): -restored-
-Baker Co (Macclenny,Sanderson area): -restored-
-Bradford Co (Starke area): -restored-

Old 09-09-2017, 07:00 PM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Get that balloon up there. Data data

https://twitter.com/NWSKeyWest/statu...82894931947525
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes