Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2017, 03:48 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
That graph shows Irma STILL battling Cuba
And the models are throwing a lot of spaghetti out into,the Gulf
I know that is not given a lot of cred
But is pressure dropping enough to seduce her north?

Hmm, Not sure pressure and movement direction are correlated, but her picking up speed is a sign shes ready to start making the move towards Florida now. First she slowed to 6mph, now she's making the turn and able to strengthen doing so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 03:52 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Although this is true, the surge of water into the Bay from the gulf would just be disastrous. When I lived down there the talk was always how the Bay would not take a major hurricane well. Not sure if that was chatter or true but I do remember it was a concern.
NYTimes is ready for Tampa disaster
https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/201...odes.html?_r=0

And if Irma does ride the coast up w/out a hit at Ft Myers or Naples and go inland I imagine the surge will push into Tampa Bay and do lot of damage
It was just the question used the word about how much beach Tampa had to absorb the initial surge...and Tampa doesn't really have beach...

Old 09-09-2017, 03:52 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
It's saying that when a butterfly flutters, the small amount of air displaced could cause a tornado on the other side of the world.

Can a Butterfly in Brazil Really Cause a Tornado in Texas?

https://www.livescience.com/17455-bu...rediction.html
Yeah the chaos theory/butterfly effect has also been used to describe a butterfly flapping its wings in say, New Mexico, causing a hurricane/cyclone in China.

HOW BUTTERFLIES CAUSE HURRICANES

It's quite interesting to see how interconnected and delicate nature really is.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:53 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,800,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Why even discuss outlier runs? We all know they are wrong..it just confuses people. This storm is 100 percent coming up the coast. Whether it stays just off , strikes Naples or to Tampa Bay is really a crap shoot as its such a fine line with the way the storm is moving and the contour of the coastline.
There has to be a reason why some runs are outliers in the first place.

No outliers were making this sort of prediction 24 hours ago. I latch onto them and discuss them since they reinforce my own opinion.

Irma is in a tug of war trapped between competing low pressures. North America and Florida are high pressure areas. Yucatan, South of Cuba, and all of South America has been low.

Jose is not just a tiny influence either. It is South of Irma and generating a great deal of heat feeding the same winds reaching Irma.

I apologize I live without TV and don't have forecasters explaining exactly why Irma makes this sudden turn North.

Pressures are the reason Katia made an exit and traveled South West. Hence we just saw evidence it is entirely possible for pressures to drive a hurricane in the opposite direction Irma is supposed to go.

I do believe it will turn. Many because that is what everyone says.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:00 PM

I didn't see this.. From 1:17pm.. I haven't seen a report since but its been gusting at times over 20-40mph there.

Quote:

0117 PM TROPICAL STORM 1 ESE MIAMI INTERNATION 25.79N 80.27W
09/09/2017 MIAMI-DADE FL MESONET

A WIND GUST OF 75 MPH WAS RECORDED AT THE MIAMI
INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT SOUTH TERMINAL SITE.

North of Miami at 4:22pm. They are starting to feel the closeness of the Hurricane now. The rain bands are carrying these winds. Or vise versa.

Quote:
0422 PM TROPICAL STORM 1 NNW DANIA BEACH 26.07N 80.15W
09/09/2017 BROWARD FL ASOS

A WIND GUST OF 70 MPH WAS RECORDED AT THE FT. LAUDERDALE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT WITH A
SUSTAINED WIND OF 47 MPH ASSOCIATED WITH A RAINBAND FROM HURRICANE IRMA.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:01 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
There has to be a reason why some runs are outliers in the first place.

No outliers were making this sort of prediction 24 hours ago. I latch onto them and discuss them since they reinforce my own opinion.

Irma is in a tug of war trapped between competing low pressures. North America and Florida are high pressure areas. Yucatan, South of Cuba, and all of South America has been low.

Jose is not just a tiny influence either. It is South of Irma and generating a great deal of heat feeding the same winds reaching Irma.

I apologize I live without TV and don't have forecasters explaining exactly why Irma makes this sudden turn North.

Pressures are the reason Katia made an exit and traveled South West. Hence we just saw evidence it is entirely possible for pressures to drive a hurricane in the opposite direction Irma is supposed to go.

I do believe it will turn. Many because that is what everyone says.
Fair enough ... I just will say if this by some miracle did not turn it would put into question everything we rely on about forecasting. Its just not conceivable.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:01 PM

7,259 posts, read 4,629,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
Tampa has an elevation of 48 feet, so if there is a storm surge of 5-10 feet, why is that an issue, unless your house is right on the beach?
There are still many areas right along the water that are vulnerable, but yes its not going to wipe the city off the map by any means from surge.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:04 PM

7,259 posts, read 4,629,838 times
Official power outages as of 5pEST (source: from power company) (some of these will be storm related, others will be every day variety mixed in): Note: crews will go and attempt to restore power until winds reach a certain limit, then you wait. The "area" comment after the county listing is just to give people an idea where each county is since most people know city locations better and does not mean those specific cities are without power, just somewhere in that county).

West Coast:
-Monroe Co (Everglades?): 70
-Collier Co (Everglades City, Naples, Marco Island area): 410
-Lee Co (Ft Myers, Cape Cora, Bonita Springs area): 120
-Charlotte Co (Punta Gorda area): 20
-De Soto Co (Arcadia area): 550
-Sarasota Co (Sarasota, North Port, Venice area): 460
-Manatee Co (Myakka City, Bradenton area): 110
-Suwannee Co (Live Oak, McAlpin area): 10

East Coast:
-Miami-Dade Co (Miami, Kendall, Homestead area): 42,110
-Broward Co. (Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale, Pomparo Beach area): 14,770
-Palm Beach Co. (Boca Raton, West Palm Beach area): 2,470
-Martin Co. (Indiantown area): 150
-St Lucie Co. (Fort Pierce, Port St Lucie area): 20
-Okeechobee Co.: 40
-Indian River Co (Vero Beach, Sebastian area): 100
-Brevard Co (Titusville, Melbourne area): 200
-Seminole Co (NE corner of Orlando, Sanford, Geneva area): 10
-Volusia Co (Daytona Beach, Deltona area): 40
-Flagler Co (Palm Coast area): 50
-St Johns Co (St. Augustine, Crescent Beach area): 10
-Putnam Co (Palatka area): 20
-Nassau Co (just north of Jacksonville, Callahan area): -just restored-
-Baker Co (Macclenny, Sanderson area): 10

Old 09-09-2017, 04:06 PM

Random pick.... Tampa's forecast.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:14 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Hate to name names because of leaving anybody out, but you all know who you are that have so vastly contributed here.
I've gotten into the habit if checking in here out of preference because some of you have done so much of the research and dissemination for us
Do know your time has not been unappreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes