Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2018, 03:38 PM

7,260 posts, read 4,631,272 times

Advertisements

Tropical Tidbits just posted video on the tropics. Very good at explaining whats going on with the storms and draws on the pictures for you. A must watch if you have time (He provides many of the graphics and sharing of aircraft recon in a user friendly-ish format you see posted here sometimes): https://youtu.be/MOo9iJ8RYWM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpleplains17 View Post
The predictions are not terrible. They are in my opinion very good. .
...The strongest winds tend to be in the North and NW side of the storms. ...
Yes, on average the humans at NHC have beat most of the models out there (see actual statistics on that a few pages earlier).

*NE corner typically has the strongest winds. Each storm is a little different as you mentioned but in general it'll be on the NE corner.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:07 PM

29,537 posts, read 19,626,354 times
100mph wind gusts 100 miles inland? Expect almost total power outages, widespread destruction. Not good at all

https://twitter.com/EdValleeWx/statu...96068312936450

Old 09-09-2018, 04:19 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpleplains17 View Post
The predictions are not terrible. They are in my opinion very good. If people are not prepared is their own fault. Hurricane season started more than 2 months ago.

Plenty of people had major roof damage with Irma, some even experienced flooding in central Florida. You don’t have to be exactly in the eye of the storm to experience the worst. These storms are all different. Some have a lot of rain, others are too small etc. The strongest winds tend to be in the North and NE side of the storms.

I don’t know what kind of construction codes they have in SC and NC. Naples and south Florida have stricter codes after hurricane Andrew. I image SC probably doesn’t have strong construction codes since they are a poorer state. Naples is full of wealthy transplants. It also depends if you live in a flood area. At least as of now they are only predicting 10-20 inches of rain but if that goes up I would be very concerned. I think with Harvey they predicted 22-30 inches.

Hopefully there will be minor damage. I had one hurricane that it took me over a year to get payment from my insurance. I still have nightmares with these storms.
The damage from the recent hurricanes has been flooding/rains. Wind damage not so much, which is kinda strange, although codes are definitely much stricter now, which could be why the damage is much less.

Any predictions regarding the storm surge or water backing away from the coast, like it did in Tampa?

Old 09-09-2018, 04:47 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
Building codes in North Carolina are definitely not as strict as building codes in Florida.

One big concern in this area, when we're talking about wind, is mobile homes. Mobile homes are very popular in both South and North Carolina. In fact, these states have the most mobile homes in the country, coming in at #1 and #2, respectively. 16.8 to 18.8 percent of homes in these states are mobile homes.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

The wind zone requirements for mobile homes are very outdated. The majority of North Carolina is in "Wind Zone 1." These mobile homes are not actually required to be built to any particular standard for withstanding high winds, but mobile home manufacturers claim that when they're set up properly, they can handle winds of about 70 mph. Along the coast in NC is mostly "Wind Zone 2," which is supposed to withstand 100 mph winds. Some parts of SC and a tiny sliver of the NC coast is "Wind Zone 3," which are supposed to withstand winds of 110 mph.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...160147709.html
Wind Map | MHI | Manufactured Housing Institute

Truthfully, though, the biggest concern in North Carolina when it comes to hurricanes is always flooding. Hurricane Matthew caused 4.8 billion dollars in damage in North Carolina alone, primarily from flooding. That was 2 years ago. After the storm, so many roads in North Carolina were damaged. Patchwork was done just to get the roads open, and they're still going through and actually making permanent repairs to the roads that collapsed during and after Matthew.

I know in the Goldsboro area, where I live, many businesses were flooded. Those commercial properties still stand empty. Many, many homes were flooded and are now condemned.

I'm very concerned about how we're going to be affected by this storm.

Last edited by Yac; 09-14-2018 at 01:01 AM..

Old 09-09-2018, 04:51 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW&LWR View Post
This storm will destroy parts of both. It will be one fore the record books. Too many people will think they can tough this out, only to lose their lives. Sad, but it IS going to happen.
I guess that’s true because other than the Navy ships no one I know are planning to evacuate. VA Beach/Hampton Roads should be okay as long as it moves inland vs sitting and spinning over us for a few days.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:54 PM

29,537 posts, read 19,626,354 times
Oh crap

https://twitter.com/BenNollWeather/s...23223474233344

Old 09-09-2018, 04:59 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
^ It's official. We're screwed.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:28 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
^ It's official. We're screwed.
The GFS isn’t the most reliable model as of now. I wouldn’t put too much stock on this.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:15 PM

Florence earlier this evening:
Click image for larger version

Name:	_______F1.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	202308

Ok, let's get started...

How rare would a Cat 4 landfall be?
-Only 4 have been known to hit GA, SC, or NC (Unnamed 1898, Hazel 1954, Gracie 1959)

Name:	_cAT4s GA SC NC.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	376.6 KB
ID:	202298

How rare would a Cat 3 landfall be?
-Appears only 6 have occurred GA, SC and NC and 5 of those were in the 1800's, other was Fran 1996)

Name:	_cAT3s GA SC NC.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	202299

So this is indeed a potential rare event unfolding which adds to the issue of some people not being prepared enough until it's too late. Remember Hurricanes are rated as Categories 1 through 5 which is solely based on sustained wind speed (Saffir-Simpson Scale). Wind damage, just like earthquakes, is exponential the higher the numbers the more damage occurs. Such as: a 15mph wind speed difference doesn't mean much with a Tropical Storm but when a Cat 3 or 4 are in play that's a larger difference.

Meetings are already scheduled for Monday to determine who will be receiving evacuation orders, likely to be issued by Tuesday. We are in the time frame that evacuations will likely need to be completed by Wednesday night. So that means a lot is about to change quickly.

Now let's look at what a cone map is really telling you:
-The cone getting larger is not the storm size...it's where the EYE/CENTER point could be in time and the size of the cone is based on the average error forecast that far out in time from where the center of the storm actually ends up. *So the cone map is telling us the center could approach the SC/GA border up to SE VA or just out to sea. So don't say the forecasters keep changing where it will make landfall because the official cone map has only been shrinking. Yes the models seem to go for more of a SC/NC area hit today, but we need to wait for that to hold before confidence go's up. The constant little jumps mean confidence is low still, but hopefully narrowed down shortly.
5pm shown:

Name:	_,apsdfd.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	202302

The following will assume the storm approaches the Carolina coast as a Cat3 or Cat4 (subject to change) -No real details, just basic land-falling hurricane info for that range:

Winds:

-Hurricanes are rated on sustained wind speeds. Winds are always highest in the eye wall (the center ring that surrounds the clearer eye/center point) with the strongest typically seen on the NorthEast side of the eye. There can be even higher speed wind gust lasting a few seconds at a time as well mixed in. In the US, roofs typically start to give way to some degree around 90 to 110mph here and there (That's only Cat2 to border line Cat3 wind speeds by the way). Trees and power lines start to go down here and there at 40+mph which doesn't seem like much, and it's not really, but the wear and tear of hours of that with saturated grounds starts to bring them down. Work crews will try to restore power until it's unsafe and then you have to wait until its over and hope they get to your neighborhood soon.

With a possible larger storm (Cat3/4) keep in mind even as the storm weakens after landfall that hurricane force winds will likely travel well inland, even up to 100miles is possible. So this will not just be a coastal storm. See Hugo as an example that hit just North of Charleston, SC and even Charlotte, NC received winds around Cat1 speed causing extensive tree and power damage. This storm has the potential for far reaching effects.

Storm Surge:
Storm surge is the entire body of water rising with the waves on top. It accounts on average for over 50% of hurricane deaths in the United States. It is not a joke, it is not to played with, once you decide to stay you are stuck with your decision. Heed all evacuation orders especially if in potential surge flood zone. Keep in mind waters start rising hours before the center arrives...your escape routes can be cut off early even if the weather isn't too bad yet. It is not a wave. It is not a tsunami (I hear that often actually) but the end result can look like one hit. Think of it like a really high high-tide. It too is highest near the eye/center and to the East slowly getting lower the further you are from the landfalling eye. This is due to onshore wind flow direction, while the west side can push water away (off shore winds). Large bodies of water can have surge too such as Sounds. As the storm passes by the winds also change direction and surge can move from side of water body to the other side (like in a bay). Surge will travel over dry ground, it will travel up anything connected to the ocean (up bays, then up rivers, then up those little title ditches even, and I've witnessed it coming up the street storm drains along the gutter).

When will surge maps be issued for Florence?
-They are not out yet. When Watches/Warnings go up (likely late Monday or very early Tuesday) then about 30 to 90 minutes AFTER the 5 and 11am/pmEDT updates the interactive surge maps for the specific storm are released.

In the meantime, you can know if you are in a potential surge zone by visiting this interactive map linked just below. Be sure to change the storm Category to a 3 or 4 for this event and hope for less. The higher the storm rating the higher the surge typically.
http://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Map...4dd7b277935fad

Here is a *SAMPLE* screen shot image of what the map shows for a CAT4...it is NOT a forecast for Florence.

Name:	Upclosesurgeexample.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	202306
*EXAMPLE ONLY - NOT FOR FLORENCE*

Name:	_sURGE.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	202307
*EXAMPLE ONLY - NOT FOR FLORENCE*

Rain:
Models continue to point at the possibility the storm stalls somewhere near landfall or a little further inland, possibly for several days. This sign has been constant in the ever changing models so inland needs to be prepared, don't get caught off guard, watch the forecast, more will be known about specific locations once the track is nailed down more.

Tornadoes:
Common in landfalling hurricanes as rain bands spiral in across the land. Typically most occur again in that North East corner/quadrant of the storm. These are typically small brief lived and can spin up and down with little to no warning.

Tips:
-Don't tape your windows (this used to be the recommendation but new studies show it just helps make a piece of tape with jagged glass attached to it a projectile. So board up, shutter up, or leave alone).
-If you're trying to see what your're specific area will see via your weather app, keep in mind they typically only use one model scenario out of dozens for that software. So find an actual human to help determine your impacts who knows your area (that's not me, I'm just some random person on a message board, I just like information ). Also on that note: IBM just updated the Weather Channel app so this will be a good test on how their system does (They bought TWC assets, everything except for the cable tv show itself the other year so if you noticed recent changes that's why).
-Gas pumps don't work when the power is out.
-Credit Cards can't verify and work when the power is out, hit up that ATM.
-Don't wait to get supplies last minute...stores will start to close early when weather still nice because they have to prepare their store, get their employee's home in time to prepare their houses, etc.

I know that was a long read but wanted to bring up some points with so much information coming out from all over now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes