Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 01:18 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post

This is outside central and northern Idaho, but if you want to start from near Boise, right on the WA border from Caldwell north is not very forested til you get to near Midvale.
Ummm......*Oregon border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 01:44 AM

8,499 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Thanks for the correction. It was the WA border for most of the central and northern Idaho area I mainly spoke about. I didn't catch my error in referring to the western border as the WA border when I dipped down briefly to discuss what it was like along that border in the southern region in reply to the previous poster's choice to dip down there in their commentary. 1am, missed that, sorry.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-25-2010 at 02:19 AM..

Old 06-25-2010, 09:29 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,955 times
Midvale is a combination of Forest and Desert. A very nice combination. Can be in the forest in minutes from the desert areas. We are 20 miles from the Oregon border at Annex just out of Weiser.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:57 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
Quote:
If you start at Bogus Basin and go directly north it is basically all what I would call forested, and consistent with the general description I offered for the bulk of central and northern Idaho. But that is not right on the border. I described the immediate border differently because it is somewhat different. Though I guess not as clearly or detailed as apparently might have been desired.

This is outside central and northern Idaho, but if you want to start from near Boise, right on the WA [correction: substitute "western"] border from Caldwell north has little forest 'til you get to near Midvale.

Once you get up into central Idaho and a bit below Lewiston is not very forested on at least half of the immediate border area north to the Rathdrum prairie, different from the rather solid forest it is further east. I mentioned it at all because it might perhaps be significant to the original poster if she selected to live in Lewiston, in that less forested border region, less forested to the immediate south and north of town and to the west and not heavily forested to the very immediate east either.

But the picture should be clearer by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the correction. It was the WA border for most of the central and northern Idaho area I mainly spoke about. I didn't catch my error in referring to the western border as the WA border when I dipped down briefly to discuss what it was like along that border in the southern region in reply to the previous poster's choice to dip down there in their commentary. 1am, missed that, sorry.
Thanks for your explanation, you obviously know a lot about Idaho as I do, but I was not questioning your remarks but just chiming in with some information I thought would be usefull since discussion of this thread has turned towards the flora and forests of the state and that Southern Idaho and the mountainess area adjacent to Boise has forests that extend up into North Idaho. Like you said, Lewiston is in a dryer area but a quick drive east will put a person in forests of the Clearwater region.

My understanding is that emiliec was asking about the state as a whole, not just the Lewiston area or North Idaho so that is why I offered my input in case emiliec were to consider Boise as an option.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:05 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,790,853 times
My apologies. I read and replied to your remarks in the context of what I said and the other dialog that followed about adjustments to it to cover the topic with greater precision. You took steps to go outside that direct line but at the time I still saw it in that line. I realized later I might have been wrong about that and perhaps the pitch of my reply, but that was after I was already "down river" further.

Your reply and my original post hit some of the same points, but hearing different voices has value as does seeing both points of agreement and difference. You added details about the Boise area and other things that should be helpful for the original poster. So did the others.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-25-2010 at 08:18 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 10:16 PM

37 posts, read 74,905 times
thanks for all the input, i have only been out of state one time so i haven't seen much of anything and i am interested in any information i can get because i don't know where i would fit but definately know what i am looking for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho