Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:29 PM

37 posts, read 112,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Are you an English rider? I am and my daughter does dressage and eventing. She has a pinto Oldenburg cross sporthorse.
Right now I seem to be more of a feeder/ shoveler person . It is part of my plan to downsize the breeding part and get back into riding. I prefer english and want to do some more trail riding. One of my TB mare's is being bred to an Oldenburg next spring. Originally it was suppose to be one of my appy's but she didn't take to the AI. I expect a good cross from her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 07:09 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selandra View Post
Right now I seem to be more of a feeder/ shoveler person .
That's actually my thing right now too. I had a nasty riding crash several years ago and broke several bones and it dimmed my riding enthusiasm, especially since my own horses died (old age).
My daughter's mare is fairly hot but sweet natured and I think I'll be back in the saddle this summer since my daughter is 16 and has many other irons in the fire.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
That's actually my thing right now too. I had a nasty riding crash several years ago and broke several bones and it dimmed my riding enthusiasm, especially since my own horses died (old age).
My daughter's mare is fairly hot but sweet natured and I think I'll be back in the saddle this summer since my daughter is 16 and has many other irons in the fire.
Sorry to hear that... I've been lucky enough so far to avoid any major spills. Now that I'm getting older I realize I don't bounce as well either. Suddenly the idea of getting on a young green broke horse and racing off into the sunset is no longer appealing. Those quiet easy going horses become better looking every day . I do enjoy eventing and though its been a few year and quite a few pounds ago I still hope to get back into some lower level showing for fun. I figure buying a place near a lot of trails and national park land can help get me back in the saddle.
Hope you find yourself back in the saddle and loving it .

Old 12-15-2011, 09:21 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Quote:
What is the Clark Fork area like? What kind of internet do you have? I believe the one place we were looking at was right near the main highway up to Sandpoint. How is the driving in the winter? Are they good about plowing/ sanding after storms?

Is there any horse groups in your area? Would people be open to joining a horse group if one became available? I'm really big on community and getting people together for a good time. I spent some time recently judging for a group who did trail riding w/ obstacles. Everyone had a great time and I would love to either join or start up something like it. What is the main type of horses? I have sporthorse type Appaloosas and don't really fit into my local QH neighborhood.
Selandra, we have vacation/retirement property in CF, and are only just getting around to building a cabin, so I can't answer all your Qs--yet! But go to my album here on CDF and take a look at the CF pictures. From what our neighbors tell us Hwy 200 is plowed all through the winter, but it can still get dicey with snow storms, black ice, etc. I've seen pictures of humongous icicles along the bluffs. Re: Internet. If you look through the Idaho News thread there's something about new Internet service being planned in the region; I use my BlackBerry (Verizon) when we're on our property, but the signal is weak.

I can't help you with horse groups in CF, but there might be some links you can use here:
Clark Fork Idaho Home Page
The website has been updated recently with a great flyover video!

Just remember that CF is really small--only 550 residents or so. A couple of eating places and gas stations, and a river valley with homes and ranches. And a high school which just won a prize! There may not be enough people who share your specific interests to start a horse group. You may want to include Hope where there is a bit more affluence happening.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:35 PM

There is a FANTASTIC dressage trainer/instructor north of Sandpoint and there are some eventers around....Sandpoint has a United States Pony Club chapter that our club based out of Deer Park helped start up.
You might check out the Selle Rd area north of Sandpoint. More horse people there and I can give you some contacts if you'd like.

Strangely, my accident happened while just trail riding. I used to foxhunt back east and rode hunters and jumpers. Ironic that it happened on an easy trail ride. Stupid horse just started bucking at the top of a hill. BIG bucking.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:39 PM

This may help:
Saddle up in Sandpoint, Idaho, by Marianne Love – Sandpoint Magazine

Old 12-16-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Selandra, we have vacation/retirement property in CF, and are only just getting around to building a cabin, so I can't answer all your Qs--yet! But go to my album here on CDF and take a look at the CF pictures. From what our neighbors tell us Hwy 200 is plowed all through the winter, but it can still get dicey with snow storms, black ice, etc. I've seen pictures of humongous icicles along the bluffs. Re: Internet. If you look through the Idaho News thread there's something about new Internet service being planned in the region; I use my BlackBerry (Verizon) when we're on our property, but the signal is weak.

I can't help you with horse groups in CF, but there might be some links you can use here:
Clark Fork Idaho Home Page
The website has been updated recently with a great flyover video!

Just remember that CF is really small--only 550 residents or so. A couple of eating places and gas stations, and a river valley with homes and ranches. And a high school which just won a prize! There may not be enough people who share your specific interests to start a horse group. You may want to include Hope where there is a bit more affluence happening.
Thank you for the website-- I'm checking it out right now. I don't mind the small town myself, grew up in a small town in the UP. (That's the upper half of Michigan-- and yes we are a part of the USA )
My husband however has lived his life in So CA and is adjusting to the peace and quiet. That's why I like the look of the vibrant community of Sandpoint. Enough culture for him but small enough for me. We lived awhile in downtown Bellevue, WA after we got married and though it was an interesting experiance, I can tell you that I am not a city person (and I don't even think that would really qualify as a true city).

Really want some decent internet service. I'll take a look for the article.

I'd include all of N. Idaho in any horse venture I'd want to start and then drag over the people from WA. I'm of the "if you build it, they will come" mind. And if that doesn't work... bring them in kicking and screaming .

Old 12-16-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
There is a FANTASTIC dressage trainer/instructor north of Sandpoint and there are some eventers around....Sandpoint has a United States Pony Club chapter that our club based out of Deer Park helped start up.
You might check out the Selle Rd area north of Sandpoint. More horse people there and I can give you some contacts if you'd like.

Strangely, my accident happened while just trail riding. I used to foxhunt back east and rode hunters and jumpers. Ironic that it happened on an easy trail ride. Stupid horse just started bucking at the top of a hill. BIG bucking.
That sounds just like my thing. I've been wanting lessons around here but unfortunatly moved into rodeo/ western area. No dressage trainers in sight. This is why I am doing a LOT more research on our next home we move into.

Isn't crazy how that happens. I broke my arm long ago... falling off a hay bale. After years of riding crazy horses and being thrown more times I can think, I jump from a higher bale to lower, slip on the corner and down into a pile of hay and catch my falling body with one arm. Not a full break but it sure hurt.

Wish there was a hug smilie. Did you ever figure out why your horse turned into a rodeo star? Any wasps around? My friend had that happen to her. Hope you find your horse riding mojo again. I love riding... as long as the horse does too .

Old 12-16-2011, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 16,015 times
HI Misty/Lisa, We are considering a move to idaho too. It is a major relocation. Is there a way of private messaging? I found a blog of yours from 2004. Would love to get some info on how you prepared especially on finding your housing location, how in the world you moved a farm? Seems like such a lofty goal. We did it once but only a 15 minutes away. Would love your tips.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:36 AM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
That sounds just like my thing. I've been wanting lessons around here but unfortunatly moved into rodeo/ western area. No dressage trainers in sight. This is why I am doing a LOT more research on our next home we move into.

Isn't crazy how that happens. I broke my arm long ago... falling off a hay bale. After years of riding crazy horses and being thrown more times I can think, I jump from a higher bale to lower, slip on the corner and down into a pile of hay and catch my falling body with one arm. Not a full break but it sure hurt.

Wish there was a hug smilie. Did you ever figure out why your horse turned into a rodeo star? Any wasps around? My friend had that happen to her. Hope you find your horse riding mojo again. I love riding... as long as the horse does too .
As I've pointed out to Misty before...with ATVs or dirt bikes...you only have to feed them when you ride them. And they don't "buck".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho