Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 02:31 PM

4 posts, read 5,661 times

Advertisements

hey everybody im new to the forum and have searched and search but i cant find anything specific answers to my questions....
from san luis obispo area (templeton) and just moved to cda area and actually really love alot of things about the area....but have only been here 2 months and the grey and cold is already gettn to me and the fam... i love the cleanliness of the area but have to say we are not use to the closed upness of the area (neighbors) due to winter months(i guess)....anyway i understand we moved up here in the worst part of the year but still we want to settle somewhere and get stuff going.. i have recently been investigating the saint george area which i understand is the complete opposite end of the spectrum but we are an outdoor family, hence saint george and the climate....but again the beauty and cleanliness of this area will make it very hard to leave....

please any advise from anybody who has lived in either or both would be greatly appreciated...thanks

2 kids 7 mo. and 4yrs.

im curious to hear from people who have lived in st george ut and have moved to NID or vise versa....

some of my questions/concerns
weather and outdoor activities..which place allows more outdoor activities more often

better place to raise kids....schools, stability and unity of community ect

pretty much overall quality of life....common sense type question for someone lookin to re locate

not to concerned with jobs or work i know its no good in either place...but if you have insite on this subject ill take it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 04:16 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpilot View Post
hey everybody im new to the forum and have searched and search but i cant find anything specific answers to my questions....
from san luis obispo area (templeton) and just moved to cda area and actually really love alot of things about the area....but have only been here 2 months and the grey and cold is already gettn to me and the fam... i love the cleanliness of the area but have to say we are not use to the closed upness of the area (neighbors) due to winter months(i guess)....anyway i understand we moved up here in the worst part of the year but still we want to settle somewhere and get stuff going.. i have recently been investigating the saint george area which i understand is the complete opposite end of the spectrum but we are an outdoor family, hence saint george and the climate....but again the beauty and cleanliness of this area will make it very hard to leave....

please any advise from anybody who has lived in either or both would be greatly appreciated...thanks

2 kids 7 mo. and 4yrs.

im curious to hear from people who have lived in st george ut and have moved to NID or vise versa....

some of my questions/concerns
weather and outdoor activities..which place allows more outdoor activities more often

better place to raise kids....schools, stability and unity of community ect

pretty much overall quality of life....common sense type question for someone lookin to re locate

not to concerned with jobs or work i know its no good in either place...but if you have insite on this subject ill take it.....
jetpilot,

I have NOT lived in St. George, but worked there 3 days/monthly for five years. I have a good sense of that area and a lot of connections.

While both NID and S.G. are being redefined and growing by the influx of those wishing to escape California, I strongly believe different personalties and age of those relocating in each of those areas is different. While it has changed some more recently, St. George first had many seniors moving there. I'd certainly ask any realtor or others you communicate with what the ratio of the new residents is as families vs. retired.

I can't comment about a "better" place to raise kids as I strongly believe that depends on what matters most to the parents. What do YOU want for your children and what do your children need? Plus, given the work I did in St. George, I have a skewed view of that school district which I really can't elaborate. I'd encourage you to research the school and even email the district with any questions. It's probably under Washington County schools. I'm sure a post in the St. George forum or quick research on your part will yield the url for the school district.

I'd also encourage you to research the crime info as locations close to St. George are famous for being major drug bust locations. And research info about how many foreclosures or other indicators about the financial health of the area. Many long-time residents of Washington County, which includes St. George, Hurricane, Ivins, etc., feel a major class system has developed when California resident were able to sell their homes for large sums of $ and just live in St. George from the profits.

I'd encourage you to look at various cities in Washington County, Utah or if you like a combination of NID and St. George, explore Cedar City. It is one hour north of St. George and has a climate more like northern UT, southern ID. It always confused my brain how some of the worst UT winter weather could be in Cedar City and smaller cities in Iron County, but just an hour away was the desert in St. George.

And do RESEARCH about the weather. I personally hated the days in St. George when it hit anything above 103. However, Cedar City was much cooler (probably 20- 25 degrees cooler). It's not voodoo science, it's about the Mtns. where Cedar was built vs. the deseret where St. George was built.

That's about all I can add except to encourage you to research information yourself from outside sources. Look at a map of the area so you realize your distance from Vegas, Colorado City, Salt Lake City, the major National park etc.

Good luck in making your decision

MSR

Old 03-18-2012, 01:16 PM

804 posts, read 2,892,787 times
I have no input on what St. George UT is like but if you want additional help on the CDA area as far as outdoors (fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, etc.) let me know and I can guide you where to go.

I think this summer you will find that a few months of winter is all worth it. Living in the CDA/PF area you come to love how different each season is. That is why we call it "God's Country".

Old 03-22-2012, 07:58 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
I explored St George and City Cedar about 6 years ago when I was moving from Virginia Beach to somewhere farther west. Even in mid September, St George was on the hot side ( about 100 ). Too hot for me at that time of the year. Cedar City on the other hand was rather pleasant with temps in the mid 80s. Not much of a local economy however, so jobs could be an issue if you're still a working class hero. CDA was also on my list, but I never made it up to Idaho, so I can't give you a comparison. I've been living in Grand Junction-CO for the past 6 years. GJ had a thriving economy when I arrived in '06, but it has since tanked, and has hardly come back at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho