Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 7,676 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a 21 year old college student living in the IE of SoCal. I'll be moving with my parents to North Idaho sometime within the next two years (hopefully). I've been doing the brunt of the research for my parents since they have trouble finding the things they want to find in terms of property, builders, contractors, etc.

I've been wondering, however, what the ideological landscape looks like up there. I gather that it's more conservative but in what way (Neoconservative or Traditional conservative)? I'm a libertarian in the Rothbard tradition. IMO, most Republicans and Democrats, at least those elected to office, do not differ in any significant way -- government always expands under each without fail.

I, nor my parents, will be going up there to try and change anything and we don't want to bring any part of California with us. We just want to get out of the heat, get away from the millions of people before an economic crash, and escape the heavy hand of the State.

What are your thoughts? Are North Idaho conservatives more in the tradition of Senator Robert Taft, or in the Limbaugh/Hannity/Kristol camp? How big is the libertarian population, or how (un)popular are libertarian ideas? Is there any concern for out of control spending, not just domestic, but foreign as well? Is there concern for the Federal Reserve and fiat money? Do people believe in voting for the "lesser of two evils?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 05:05 PM

37 posts, read 81,836 times
In my opinion, one interesting thing about this neck of Idaho is that both the conservatives and the liberals appear to have strong Libertarian leanings....although if it involves damaging the environment, that is where the liberals will disagree. Because of this I can often find common ground even with some otherwise extreme Republicans! It isn't well publicized, but northern Idaho (Sandpoint in particular) is far more diverse than is commonly portrayed. Democrats are not the majority, but they do seem to be more committed and inclined to speak up, organize, agitate, etc, than in other places I've lived where the Dems were the majority. Again, this is only my perception.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:38 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamoisee View Post
In my opinion, one interesting thing about this neck of Idaho is that both the conservatives and the liberals appear to have strong Libertarian leanings....although if it involves damaging the environment, that is where the liberals will disagree. Because of this I can often find common ground even with some otherwise extreme Republicans! It isn't well publicized, but northern Idaho (Sandpoint in particular) is far more diverse than is commonly portrayed. Democrats are not the majority, but they do seem to be more committed and inclined to speak up, organize, agitate, etc, than in other places I've lived where the Dems were the majority. Again, this is only my perception.
I agree with your perception.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:40 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
When it comes to environmental issues, I find that both liberals and conservatives widely agree on many of them. Clear-cutting forests is one that is not popular with either persuasion, but there are many others. One of the reasons why folks move here is for living in the scenery, and nobody want it messed with severely.
The wolf issue is decisive, for sure, but there are others that have solid citizen support, and still others that were once hot issues but haven't been for the past few years. Dam removal in the Snake and Columbia drainages is one that has cooled off but won't be going away; it's bound to become hot again eventually.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:19 PM

3 posts, read 8,771 times
We just got back vacationing from N Idaho, the only political signs I saw were for Ron Paul..if that helps (north of sandpoint of course).

Old 06-11-2012, 06:34 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,034,158 times
Here's a post on the subject I wrote last week. Kind rant like in a way too.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/24653924-post50.html

This question comes up often. There are tons of threads on this, not just here, but for all cities/states here on CD. Generally the "I'm a ________ and we're moving to a place that's stereotyped as ________. Will we get along fine with the natives?" The answer is always "Yes, you'll be fine."

It's not like we're talking about persecution or anything. And the rabid conservative/liberal ranters aren't the people you'll want as your friends anyhow. I can't stand being around my dad anytime there's a democrat president. Sad, but true.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:57 PM

181 posts, read 435,562 times
It's very live and let live. Most here don't want you to live by their rules and don't want your rules forced on them. If you come here with a clean slate and accept it and the people you will do fine.

I completely disagree with your assertion however that both liberals (Marxist) and conservatives are the same. Even at the upper tier of the party great swaths of difference separate the two. If somehow you grew up a Kennedy Democrat you might be right, but Kennedy Democrats are vastly different than Obama Democrats and you would be considered a libertarian by the modern Democratic party.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:51 PM

15 posts, read 46,064 times
And by the way, it's northern Idaho and not North Idaho.
Yah yah yah ... it got picked up in the earlyi 1980s by folks making a statement about the political clout of southern Idaho, but there is no North Idaho. It's expressed and displayed as a statement of secession from southern Idaho, and the creation of a new state (a concept that dates back at least to the 1930s).
Multimillionaire Duane Hagadone pushed the "North Idaho" name. Last I checked, he owned all but two of the newspapers in the five northern counties. The Coeur d'Alene Press is particularly sycophantical.
I was born in Washington State, raised in Spokane, and had fun in Coeur d'Alene, Rathdrum, etc. back to the late 1960s. Later, I lived in northern Idaho south of Coeur d'Alene.
Until I see a Rand McNally map with North Idaho designated by a border line, it's northern Idaho.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:29 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatofeo View Post
Yah yah yah ... it got picked up in the earlyi 1980s by folks making a statement about the political clout of southern Idaho, but there is no North Idaho. It's expressed and displayed as a statement of secession from southern Idaho, and the creation of a new state (a concept that dates back at least to the 1930s).
Multimillionaire Duane Hagadone pushed the "North Idaho" name. Last I checked, he owned all but two of the newspapers in the five northern counties. The Coeur d'Alene Press is particularly sycophantical.
I was born in Washington State, raised in Spokane, and had fun in Coeur d'Alene, Rathdrum, etc. back to the late 1960s. Later, I lived in northern Idaho south of Coeur d'Alene.
Until I see a Rand McNally map with North Idaho designated by a border line, it's northern Idaho.

Get a life.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:54 PM

279 posts, read 485,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatofeo View Post
I'm thinking you've been living in the "Remote Utah ddesert" a little too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho