Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 04:48 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,773,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
So like which brand and type of vehicle do you use as a daily driver in this rainy, snow, icy weather?
It has been said that if one moves to Montana or Wyoming, and they don't already have one, a Subaru will be issued to them. Don't think this is true of Idaho. For myself, I got an AWD RAV4. It did just fine in the snow and on the ice. Crummy ground clearance, but I had my shovel and chains in the back. Didn't need either.

Posted here previously...At the frisbee golf course in Farragut State Park last December after a few hours of cross country skiing in the park.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 04:58 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,277,152 times
Quote:
CTEK
So then what kind of vehicles are we talking about on snow and ice? No such thing as a High Performance vehicle when the weather is clear and you don't want to take your Corvette, Mustang or Challenger Hellcat out?
In my case a 4WD Tahoe, 4WD Wrangler and 4WD Ram.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:01 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
It has been said that if one moves to Montana or Wyoming, and they don't already have one, a Subaru will be issued to them. Don't think this is true of Idaho. For myself, I got an AWD RAV4. It did just fine in the snow and on the ice. Crummy ground clearance, but I had my shovel and chains in the back. Didn't need either.

Posted here previously...At the frisbee golf course in Farragut State Park last December after a few hours of cross country skiing in the park.
sO THAT is the Subaru model. I was brought up on rear wheel drive V8 cars. Well it has alot more ground clearance than a Corvette or Mustang but maybe higher is better?

Don't tell me one of these luxury equipped Sabaru Foresters cost $40,000+

Old 10-10-2016, 05:02 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,901 times
Quote:
So like which brand and type of vehicle do you use as a daily driver in this rainy, snow, icy weather?
In rainy weather anything will work up here. It's just a question of how much mud and muck you want on your car if you need to drive on dirt roads at all.

In winter when we get snow and ice I think most any reliable AWD or 4WD vehicle with the appropriate tires will get you around. A front wheel drive vehicle will do better in snow than most rear wheel drive vehicles since they carry more weight over the driven wheels, but AWD/4WD is better still.

It's a bit of an obscure point, but I'd prefer an AWD vehicle or a full-time 4WD vehicle to a part-time 4WD vehicle. What's the difference between those two types of 4WD vehicles? If the manufacturer tells you not to engage 4WD on dry pavement you have a part time 4WD vehicle. Most 4WD pickups fall into this category. In this type of vehicle there is no differential between the front and rear axles, so both axles must rotate at the same speed (RPM). In certain situations this can get you in trouble on snow or ice. Having said that, I realize many, many people do fine in snowy weather with pickups and other part time 4WD vehicles.

Tires are an important part of the equation. I think there is a thread here somewhere in which winter tires are discussed in some detail. I think the consensus opinion is to use winter tires with studs. In summary that's because when you are dealing with ice or packed snow at or around the freezing point nothing else will work except chains. Most would prefer to avoid the inconvenience of dealing with chains, hence the recommendation for studded tires. I'd recommend carrying chains as a backup during winter, since they will get you pretty much anywhere.

In our case we plan to run our Jeep Cherokee and F350 during the winter. The Jeep is AWD/Part time 4WD, and that's what my wife drives on a more or less daily basis (she works and has an office in Sandpoint). I'm retired, so with some attention to the weather forecasts and reasonable planning I try to avoid being on the roads during and right after big snow storms, but if I do need to be somewhere I'll drive the F350, which is part time 4WD.

As I said though, any reliable AWD/4WD vehicle with the right tires will work fine.

Dave

Old 10-10-2016, 05:08 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romefxr View Post
Would you do the same for a Harley that is stored over the winter months?
I am bring my Harley with me and I just want to make sure storage of the winter is easy so I don't have to worry about it.
It's relatively easy to drain a gas tank on a bike, so that is one alternative for winter storage. I'd drain and/or run the carbs dry as well.

If you wanted to store it with gas in it, I'd fill it with ethanol-free gas, add an appropriate amount of Stabil, and run it for 5 minutes or so to ensure the treated gas works it's way through the entire fuel system.

I wouldn't be surprised if your owners manual had specific recommendations for off-season storage, since that's more common than people who live in places where they ride year round.

Dave

Old 10-10-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
In rainy weather anything will work up here. It's just a question of how much mud and muck you want on your car if you need to drive on dirt roads at all.

In winter when we get snow and ice I think most any reliable AWD or 4WD vehicle with the appropriate tires will get you around. A front wheel drive vehicle will do better in snow than most rear wheel drive vehicles since they carry more weight over the driven wheels, but AWD/4WD is better still.

It's a bit of an obscure point, but I'd prefer an AWD vehicle or a full-time 4WD vehicle to a part-time 4WD vehicle. What's the difference between those two types of 4WD vehicles? If the manufacturer tells you not to engage 4WD on dry pavement you have a part time 4WD vehicle. Most 4WD pickups fall into this category. In this type of vehicle there is no differential between the front and rear axles, so both axles must rotate at the same speed (RPM). In certain situations this can get you in trouble on snow or ice. Having said that, I realize many, many people do fine in snowy weather with pickups and other part time 4WD vehicles.

Tires are an important part of the equation. I think there is a thread here somewhere in which winter tires are discussed in some detail. I think the consensus opinion is to use winter tires with studs. In summary that's because when you are dealing with ice or packed snow at or around the freezing point nothing else will work except chains. Most would prefer to avoid the inconvenience of dealing with chains, hence the recommendation for studded tires. I'd recommend carrying chains as a backup during winter, since they will get you pretty much anywhere.

In our case we plan to run our Jeep Cherokee and F350 during the winter. The Jeep is AWD/Part time 4WD, and that's what my wife drives on a more or less daily basis (she works and has an office in Sandpoint). I'm retired, so with some attention to the weather forecasts and reasonable planning I try to avoid being on the roads during and right after big snow storms, but if I do need to be somewhere I'll drive the F350, which is part time 4WD.

As I said though, any reliable AWD/4WD vehicle with the right tires will work fine.

Dave
Thanks for that info. I will be retired so I will have all the time in the world. To me Subaru sounds like the ticket SUV. I'm not a truck person and wouldn't be using a truck for its intended purpose at my age. Comfort and safety is the name of the game here.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:34 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,607,230 times
My biggest recommendation is GOOD tires, with a decently tall profile. Even just a new all terrain can make quite a difference.

I've used a myriad of 4x4's and awd's, even some rwd's (not recommended). And yes, a Subaru legacy wagon.
I prefer ground clearance, my suburban has 33" tires and did well all around Sagle last year, even though snowfall was not too heavy , there were plenty of places that had plenty on the ground, where I was traveling, and it helped in those situations.

My personal favorites were the full-size trucks, (one of the best had full-time 4x4 through a viscous coupler in the transfer case, an excellent setup and basically AWD).

Another good one in a handy size, was a Ford explorer, V8 4x4 3.73 gear and tracloc rear. It had an auto 4wd feature that engaged the front drive when the rears lost traction. It was a really smooth setup and very handy at times, especially still being able to go full low lock when needed.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
My biggest recommendation is GOOD tires, with a decently tall profile. Even just a new all terrain can make quite a difference.

I've used a myriad of 4x4's and awd's, even some rwd's (not recommended). And yes, a Subaru legacy wagon.
I prefer ground clearance, my suburban has 33" tires and did well all around Sagle last year, even though snowfall was not too heavy , there were plenty of places that had plenty on the ground, where I was traveling, and it helped in those situations.

My personal favorites were the full-size trucks, (one of the best had full-time 4x4 through a viscous coupler in the transfer case, an excellent setup and basically AWD).

Another good one in a handy size, was a Ford explorer, V8 4x4 3.73 gear and tracloc rear. It had an auto 4wd feature that engaged the front drive when the rears lost traction. It was a really smooth setup and very handy at times, especially still being able to go full low lock when needed.
I have driven a Dodge Ram 1500 pick up which drove like a car very smooth.
Chevy Silverado also a very smooth riding even smoother than many cars.
Don't know if these pick ups would work as I'm not sure if they were 4x2.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:54 AM

40 posts, read 40,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
In my case a 4WD Tahoe, 4WD Wrangler and 4WD Ram.
Elousv,
What year and model is your Ram?
I am thinking about get a Ram i like them better then the Ford or Chevy.
I am looking at Ram 1500 4x4 crew cab.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:42 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,277,152 times
'13 3500 Cummins Crew long bed. Can't say enough good things about it. In snow, I have to put it in 4WD as soon as flakes are flying ( I don't have dedicated snow tires or weight in the back - yet). All the big three trucks are pretty nice. A buddy has a F-150 with eco-boost and it hauls. Another one with HD2500, also nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho