Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 11:45 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,011,098 times

Advertisements

So how is living in Northern Idaho in Coeur d'Alene and Sandpoint areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 12:05 PM

6,355 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Can you be a little more specific as to what you are asking?

And why the confused emoticon? What are you confused about?

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-06-2016, 02:34 PM

9 posts, read 16,891 times
Hmm. agreed with the above poster. I was raised in Rathdrum Idaho (about twenty minutes out of CDA, and my husband's paternal side is forth generation Idaho. CDA and Sandpoint spoiled me for every other city I've lived in. CDA is getting expensive for property/houses, but if you get about twenty minutes north to the twin lakes area (heading toward sandpoint) you'll get a lot for your money. There's a lot to do in CDA, it's a pretty trendy town for north Idaho that keeps up well enough. Good food, very nice people, and a simply beautiful environment. Lakeland school district in Rathdrum is awesome. I'd be hesitant to send kids to Post Falls or CDA high school, but know enough people that did fine there. North Idaho College is the community college in CDA and set right on the lake. A lot of Down Town CDA is owned by a family called the Hagadone's (the resort, a lot of the bigger buildings, the golf course) and they really keep it amazing. The light show they do for Christmas is constantly ranked one of the best in the country, and the whole downtown area is clean, friendly, and safe. It's built alongside the lake, which is basically where my sister, her husband, and our friends live in the summer. A boat, and gorgeous summer days makes a pretty happy life.

Sandpoint is actually pretty similar on a smaller scale. Lake Pend Oreille is the area the city is built around, a huge lake that used to be used for submarine testing. It's much smaller than CDA and has a more genuine feel, and is at the base of Schweitzer ski resort. It's where my husband and I would end up settling if it worked better for our professions... and if my in laws didn't live within a forty minute drive ! Happy to give you more details if you can offer more detailed questions.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Can you be a little more specific as to what you are asking?

And why the confused emoticon? What are you confused about?

Is it rural homes or all subdivisions? I prefer lots of space between the houses and a peaceful setting with little to no traffic, no traffic stop signs and signals. Don't care for much sun and don't like hot weather above 80 max. degrees Temperature preference is 55-65 degrees. 3+ bed 2bath+ attached car garage built from 2005 to new 2000+ sq ft. 1 Acre+ at least for space and privacy.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamiChristine05 View Post
Hmm. agreed with the above poster. I was raised in Rathdrum Idaho (about twenty minutes out of CDA, and my husband's paternal side is forth generation Idaho. CDA and Sandpoint spoiled me for every other city I've lived in. CDA is getting expensive for property/houses, but if you get about twenty minutes north to the twin lakes area (heading toward sandpoint) you'll get a lot for your money. There's a lot to do in CDA, it's a pretty trendy town for north Idaho that keeps up well enough. Good food, very nice people, and a simply beautiful environment. Lakeland school district in Rathdrum is awesome. I'd be hesitant to send kids to Post Falls or CDA high school, but know enough people that did fine there. North Idaho College is the community college in CDA and set right on the lake. A lot of Down Town CDA is owned by a family called the Hagadone's (the resort, a lot of the bigger buildings, the golf course) and they really keep it amazing. The light show they do for Christmas is constantly ranked one of the best in the country, and the whole downtown area is clean, friendly, and safe. It's built alongside the lake, which is basically where my sister, her husband, and our friends live in the summer. A boat, and gorgeous summer days makes a pretty happy life.

Sandpoint is actually pretty similar on a smaller scale. Lake Pend Oreille is the area the city is built around, a huge lake that used to be used for submarine testing. It's much smaller than CDA and has a more genuine feel, and is at the base of Schweitzer ski resort. It's where my husband and I would end up settling if it worked better for our professions... and if my in laws didn't live within a forty minute drive ! Happy to give you more details if you can offer more detailed questions.
What is considered expensive? I don't have kids and do not want to live near a school where there are alot of kids and traffic. Prefer privacy and seclusion.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:19 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Is it rural homes or all subdivisions? I prefer lots of space between the houses and a peaceful setting with little to no traffic, no traffic stop signs and signals. Don't care for much sun and don't like hot weather above 80 max. degrees Temperature preference is 55-65 degrees. 3+ bed 2bath+ attached car garage built from 2005 to new 2000+ sq ft. 1 Acre+ at least for space and privacy.
Hi Nowhereman, glad you took my advice over in the Montana forum and came here to ask questions about North Idaho. But first and foremost, if you're really thinking about relocating to the NW, you should come for a visit. Even if you only have a long weekend, you could fly up to Spokane (direct flight from SFO), rent a car, and drive to Coeur d'Alene and straight through on 90 to Missoula, and go north on 93 to the Flathead Valley and Kalispell. Then back west on Highway 2 through Libby and Troy to Bonners Ferry, and south on 95 through Sandpoint and back to CdA and Spokane. Or go south on 56 from Troy to Noxon, and head west on 200 along Lake Pend Oreille to Sandpoint. That will give you a fantastic basis on which to make future decisions.

You'd see for yourself that the subdivisions you're used to in CA are for the most part different than subdivisions in North Idaho and NW Montana. Within city limits you do get some cookie cutter neighborhood subdivisions and smaller lots, but further out they are merely old farms and ranches divided up into 5 and 10 acre parcels with individual homes on them, or bare land. In most places 5 acre lots are the smallest available, so nobody has a neighbor's home 30 ft away from their own in rural areas (in general, of course). Some lots have CCRs, and some don't. And some homes are of course not in subdivisions, but in that case they're usually ranch or farm houses on quite a bit of acreage. We have a place in a "subdivision," an old logging district, with 5, 10, and 20 acre parcels. There are 10 parcels altogether, but we can't see any of our neighbors' homes from our cabin (wer'e in the woods). Our cabin is in a cul-de-sac, with absolutely no traffic other than locals. The nearest traffic signal is in Sandpoint, 35 miles away. Of course that means our access road is private, and not maintained by the county. The locals have to do all the snow plowing and maintaining of the gravel roads. So there are pros and cons, and you need to research all those details before actually deciding on a place. But that's part of the fun (IMO). We spent over two years just getting acquainted with the area and real estate specifics before buying property.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Hi Nowhereman, glad you took my advice over in the Montana forum and came here to ask questions about North Idaho. But first and foremost, if you're really thinking about relocating to the NW, you should come for a visit. Even if you only have a long weekend, you could fly up to Spokane (direct flight from SFO), rent a car, and drive to Coeur d'Alene and straight through on 90 to Missoula, and go north on 93 to the Flathead Valley and Kalispell. Then back west on Highway 2 through Libby and Troy to Bonners Ferry, and south on 95 through Sandpoint and back to CdA and Spokane. Or go south on 56 from Troy to Noxon, and head west on 200 along Lake Pend Oreille to Sandpoint. That will give you a fantastic basis on which to make future decisions.

You'd see for yourself that the subdivisions you're used to in CA are for the most part different than subdivisions in North Idaho and NW Montana. Within city limits you do get some cookie cutter neighborhood subdivisions and smaller lots, but further out they are merely old farms and ranches divided up into 5 and 10 acre parcels with individual homes on them, or bare land. In most places 5 acre lots are the smallest available, so nobody has a neighbor's home 30 ft away from their own in rural areas (in general, of course). Some lots have CCRs, and some don't. And some homes are of course not in subdivisions, but in that case they're usually ranch or farm houses on quite a bit of acreage. We have a place in a "subdivision," an old logging district, with 5, 10, and 20 acre parcels. There are 10 parcels altogether, but we can't see any of our neighbors' homes from our cabin (wer'e in the woods). Our cabin is in a cul-de-sac, with absolutely no traffic other than locals. The nearest traffic signal is in Sandpoint, 35 miles away. Of course that means our access road is private, and not maintained by the county. The locals have to do all the snow plowing and maintaining of the gravel roads. So there are pros and cons, and you need to research all those details before actually deciding on a place. But that's part of the fun (IMO). We spent over two years just getting acquainted with the area and real estate specifics before buying property.
that is great and is a great plan. Thanks...I appreciate all the info that I can get on these areas. California is totally messed up just too many fish in the tank. Where have all of these people come from and why here which is the most costly place to live?
We are out of space here. Can't go anywhere without getting in each others way. You spend half your life waiting in long lines whether it be for groceries, gas or to see any kind of doctor. Also can never find parking that's close. It's ridiculous... Total traffic gridlock at all hours of the day.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:00 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,522 times
Nowhereman -

AS CFF says unless you are talking about being in one of the towns (Coeur d'Alene, Sandpoint, Bonners Ferry etc.) homes in a peaceful rural setting is pretty much the rule here in north ID. You may be able to get a better sense of the types of properties that are available by setting up a search with your criteria using one of the popular real estate web sites (Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com), or by working with a local realtor, many of whom have web sites that also allow you to search available properties using your specific criteria. Just be aware that the real estate market does tend to be somewhat seasonal up here, so we're headed into the slow time of year for the market.

Based on how you describe your desired climate I think you would like it here. Note that we do see temps into the 80's and sometimes 90's during July and August. Nighttime lows are in the 50's or 60's though, so it's usually comfortable sleeping weather. There are any number of good resources on the Internet, including here on City Data, that allow you to investigate climate data in as much detail as you want.

All that said I second CFF's suggestion that you come spend time in the area. There is no substitute to that to help make a decision about where to live.

Dave

Old 10-07-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Nowhereman -

AS CFF says unless you are talking about being in one of the towns (Coeur d'Alene, Sandpoint, Bonners Ferry etc.) homes in a peaceful rural setting is pretty much the rule here in north ID. You may be able to get a better sense of the types of properties that are available by setting up a search with your criteria using one of the popular real estate web sites (Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com), or by working with a local realtor, many of whom have web sites that also allow you to search available properties using your specific criteria. Just be aware that the real estate market does tend to be somewhat seasonal up here, so we're headed into the slow time of year for the market.

Based on how you describe your desired climate I think you would like it here. Note that we do see temps into the 80's and sometimes 90's during July and August. Nighttime lows are in the 50's or 60's though, so it's usually comfortable sleeping weather. There are any number of good resources on the Internet, including here on City Data, that allow you to investigate climate data in as much detail as you want.

All that said I second CFF's suggestion that you come spend time in the area. There is no substitute to that to help make a decision about where to live.

Dave
Thanks I agree. I already have Zillow set up to the type of house I would be interested in. Realtor.com I don't find as easy or user friendly as Zillow. Not sure of Trulia or heard of it. I will have to look into that. But the Zillow Birdseye of view is very helpful in that I can see if the area is rural or a subdivision which I will rule out immediately. The weather sounds good to me. I prefer cold to hot if it has to be from one extreme to another. The less snow the better because of t he type of cars I currently have (rear wheel drive muscle cars) but if I must get a Subaru or something like that I will for snow.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:28 AM

294 posts, read 544,329 times
The trick to moving to north idaho is to have employment lined up ahead of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho