Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 06:08 PM

561 posts, read 438,373 times

Advertisements

This topic is pretty important to me as my wife and I’s plans have changed and we are moving to ID sooner rather than later. I’m highly interested in these new possible satellite internet businesses as we both work from home. I hope they play nice with our VPN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 08:38 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,014,952 times
A not very positive update about the new satellite constellations: Several weeke ago OneWeb filed for bankruptcy. The public story is that the COVID crisis made it impossible for then to achieve their next round of financing. They do have some satellites in orbit, but only a very small percentage of the planned number.

I don't know what to think about their prospects at this point. It's not unheard of for these types of businesses to survive through bankruptcy, but usually that happens once they have all their satellites in orbit.

I'm not very optimistic.

Dave

Last edited by Cnynrat; 05-06-2020 at 09:47 PM..

Old 05-07-2020, 02:31 AM

240 posts, read 238,931 times
How is internet access in CdA/ Post Falls? Generally decent in town? Thanks.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:33 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,476,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
A not very positive update about the new satellite constellations: Several weeke ago OneWeb filed for bankruptcy. The public story is that the COVID crisis made it impossible for then to achieve their next round of financing. They do have some satellites in orbit, but only a very small percentage of the planned number.

I don't know what to think about their prospects at this point. It's not unheard of for these types of businesses to survive through bankruptcy, but usually that happens once they have all their satellites in orbit.

I'm not very optimistic.

Dave
Looks like a few buyers are interested in the assets....so it might go forward pretty easily. It is just a matter of finances.... the pipeline to make things and put it all together is all in place.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:51 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,776,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealheadrun23 View Post
I'm in Rathdrum and the WIFI that my 55+ community provides is fine. Good enough for streaming video on the television. Download speeds are adequate for my needs, but then again, since I retired, I'm not a heavy data user anymore. No complaints.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-07-2020, 12:54 PM

561 posts, read 438,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post

I'm not very optimistic.

Dave
Well that is slightly disappointing.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I'm in Rathdrum and the WIFI that my 55+ community provides is fine. Good enough for streaming video on the television. Download speeds are adequate for my needs, but then again, since I retired, I'm not a heavy data user anymore. No complaints.
Thanks for the insight!

Quote:
Looks like a few buyers are interested in the assets....so it might go forward pretty easily. It is just a matter of finances.... the pipeline to make things and put it all together is all in place.
I think it's inevitable somebody at SOME point is going to successfully deploy something like this. It's just a matter of how soon.

Old 05-11-2020, 12:14 PM

25 posts, read 27,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealheadrun23 View Post
We live in CDA and our internet is great (spectrum/charter). A different company, TDS, just buried fiber optic in our neighborhood but since our current internet is very good, we don't feel the need to upgrade to that. It's good to have options though.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf335 View Post
We live in CDA and our internet is great (spectrum/charter). A different company, TDS, just buried fiber optic in our neighborhood but since our current internet is very good, we don't feel the need to upgrade to that. It's good to have options though.
Thank you very much for the input. While I'm at it, what phone carrier do you use and what is your service like? I currently use Mint Mobile which services through T-mobile. Thank you once again!

Old 05-12-2020, 12:29 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,776,492 times
The consensus here is that Verizon provides the "best" cellular service. A bit less popular is AT&T. This is on the Rathdrum Prairie. I have lost signal at times when wandering in the local mountains, but that's normal.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho