Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 06:26 AM

561 posts, read 438,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Cale internet is not available everywhere here. If you need high speed for your livelihood, you may have to limit your choices to where the cable is available.
That’s why I’m going to contact these companies and give them perspective property locations to verify service before we buy. I’m hoping I can get my career change I want to happen so internet isn’t as important or necessary. But I doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 10:25 AM

820 posts, read 1,740,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
Thank you. We’ve got a decent amount saved up already so I’m going to start my search with the internet in mind first since we both work from home. We may end up buying property several months to a year before we relocate up there. Possibly as soon as by the end of this year.
Unfortunately you are going to need boots on the ground. Make sure you get a good agent as info on the internet is not always correct and even if it is marked "Cable internet ready" in the listing, its not always right as people make assumptions as they have no real knowledge.

Old 08-17-2020, 11:17 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Shaner isn't being self-serving in his comments. It's the simple truth.

In NID, the farther away from a city someone settles into, the less likely it will be that high-speed internet is available. Or will be available in the foreseeable future.

It's not only the internet that will be hard to find, either. Out in our remoteness, every common city service will be in very short supply. Personal relationships- knowing someone who knows someone else- is still the only way anyone has to find they things they need when living close to the fringe of our wilderness.

In our wilderness, even those people are extremely hard to find. We stopped being self-sufficient sod busters 100 years ago.

Old 08-17-2020, 01:08 PM

561 posts, read 438,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
Unfortunately you are going to need boots on the ground. Make sure you get a good agent as info on the internet is not always correct and even if it is marked "Cable internet ready" in the listing, its not always right as people make assumptions as they have no real knowledge.
I have friends and family in NID, so I’ve got “boots on the ground” if when I need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Shaner isn't being self-serving in his comments. It's the simple truth.
Oh I didn’t say anything negative. I listen to all feedback. I’m pretty open minded and love getting insight on things. Life’s too short to not be a good listener.

Quote:
In NID, the farther away from a city someone settles into, the less likely it will be that high-speed internet is available. Or will be available in the foreseeable future.
True. I’m pretty open on area, been looking and researching property for ~5 years now in various areas of ID, UT and MT before deciding on ID. So I’m pretty flexible and have a general idea what areas we we to move to. Literally the job will determine how close we are to town (for internet). I’m working on changing my career to NOT need the internet. Wish me luck.

Quote:
It's not only the internet that will be hard to find, either. Out in our remoteness, every common city service will be in very short supply. Personal relationships- knowing someone who knows someone else- is still the only way anyone has to find they things they need when living close to the fringe of our wilderness.
Good thing we have family and friends already there. I’m looking forward to getting back to being more self sufficient as well.

Quote:
In our wilderness, even those people are extremely hard to find. We stopped being self-sufficient sod busters 100 years ago.
That’s a shame. I suppose then Alaska is truly the final frontier? My brother loves it up there in AK. We may end up building a get-away cabin there. But that’s another story for another time.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:18 AM

43 posts, read 87,353 times
I am currently working remotely from our home in Sagle. After a few years of being frustrated with download speeds for streaming video movies etc, and with high speed options limited, and a weak cell signal from ATT, we decided to try using a sprint Mifi option. So far it’s working fine, not pristine quality on my work video calls but certainly respectable. We have an unlimited data plan and as a stop-gap work around its so far ok. Now hoping I haven’t jinxed myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho