Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:32 PM

291 posts, read 669,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferGal View Post
Hayden Lake seems like a good safe place for a single white female like me to live.

After living in Occupied California for 18 years I'm ready to go back to a place similar to where I grew up.

Those who don't live in areas where whites are the minorities have NO idea of what it's like living amongst people from every nationality except your own. 18 years ago when I moved to California the illegal aliens pretty well kept to themselves. Now they're extremely militant and have moved their entire brood and their 3rd world living standards to my state.

One of my friends from out of state couldn't understand how So Cal had deteriorated. I took her on a little diversity tour to Wal-Mart and the 99 cent store in Santa Ana and boy was that an eye opener to her. Dirty diapers thrown in the parking lot, it was a complete Tower of Babel.

I'm very weary of pressing 1 for English, going to a retail store and not finding a clerk who can speak functioning English or going into an ER or doctor's waiting room and being the only English speaking person in the room.

Add that to the multicularists who praise diversity but don't live amongst it. Many companies in Southern California require you to be bi-lingual. Hello? Isn't this America? Don't we still have English as a common language?

Being said that - I'm sure I'll get all the usual negative responses to this post, I'm a hater, racist, etc. Go ahead, say what you want, but pointing out the obvious is not racist, it's reality.

I'm moving at the end of the summer and I cannot wait to return to an area of the country where signs and people speak English. God that's nirvana.
You Go SURFERGIRL, You do know the OC Reality. It isn't like the TV show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 01:13 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay View Post
I understand. How long do you think Idaho will be a paradise with all the people running north? Your perception of paradise is nice and I am sure you deserve it. What about the people who live in a place their whole lives that are being priced out of the market. And are finding a harder time locating work in their town. What do we do for the displaced local? You know the scruffy North Idaho type that used to inhabit this place. What about his home town? What I see happening is a new social class coming in and they will be the new people. The old will be cast aside and forgotten. It's already happening now and the insults back and forth in the local paper say it all for me.. Enjoy Idaho while its free I got a feeling that people are going to change this place. They are already talking Democrat Govoner
Ejay,

I have read a lot of your posts along this theme. I respect your feelings about how things are changing. But most of what I see are you feeling economically depressed.

99% of the people I see here on CDF, and 100% of the people I know personal who have moved to North Idaho (or who have plans to move here) are conservative or libertarian, oriented toward gun rights and fishing or hunting, weary of the degradation of where they live now, and wanting to come to Idaho and "fit in" with everyone else that made Idaho great. They are law abiding and law enforcement supporting, and what you or I would generally call "good people".

I would say that 90%-plus of the people I see moving here are buying existing homes (not building), thus they're not having an appreciable effect on the population. I think maybe in the 2000-2006 developer expansion of the Rathdrum Prairie the number was much more slanted toward those moving to tract homes.

But let me ask you this;

If there were a moratorium on new tract home developments and a limit on new building permits (to some degree you found that limited growth to "just enough" to not have an area decline), but there was enough construction growth to keep you busy in your high end cabinet or woodworking so your income rose concurrent with the increase in home values and taxes but that increase would be more slight due to the slower growth, and 90% of the folks moving in were as I've described above, would you STILL have any issues with anyone who moves here?

I'm just trying to get a handle on what is causing your level of what I perceive as a real bitterness toward ALL newcomers...not trying to argue...

Old 01-08-2010, 07:58 AM

382 posts, read 1,033,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Ejay,

I have read a lot of your posts along this theme. I respect your feelings about how things are changing. But most of what I see are you feeling economically depressed.

99% of the people I see here on CDF, and 100% of the people I know personal who have moved to North Idaho (or who have plans to move here) are conservative or libertarian, oriented toward gun rights and fishing or hunting, weary of the degradation of where they live now, and wanting to come to Idaho and "fit in" with everyone else that made Idaho great. They are law abiding and law enforcement supporting, and what you or I would generally call "good people".

I would say that 90%-plus of the people I see moving here are buying existing homes (not building), thus they're not having an appreciable effect on the population. I think maybe in the 2000-2006 developer expansion of the Rathdrum Prairie the number was much more slanted toward those moving to tract homes.

But let me ask you this;

If there were a moratorium on new tract home developments and a limit on new building permits (to some degree you found that limited growth to "just enough" to not have an area decline), but there was enough construction growth to keep you busy in your high end cabinet or woodworking so your income rose concurrent with the increase in home values and taxes but that increase would be more slight due to the slower growth, and 90% of the folks moving in were as I've described above, would you STILL have any issues with anyone who moves here?

I'm just trying to get a handle on what is causing your level of what I perceive as a real bitterness toward ALL newcomers...not trying to argue...
Even if I was making a lot of money it would not matter. Its's the principle that gets to me. I see a lot of people thinking that they deserve to be here but they resent the people who have lived here. I hear the comments all the time. I read them in the press I hear them on the street. My wife hears them at work bag on local people. I don't know how long you have lived here Sage and I am sure that for you and everyone else this is paradise. For me it is sadness because I really liked my town. I liked what it was. I accepted my life here and I took what I got. Which was not much. Yes I barely get by. I live from paycheck to paycheck. I have zero savings no 401k no unemployment cause I am self employed. I am my own safety net. Except mine has huge gaping holes in it. Huntwood and all the other modular places are trying to take all the business actually they are getting a good portion of it. Yes it bothers me a little can I stop it no. I can't stop anything from happening. What I can do is make people realize where they are now. Or at least make them think about who is there. I am sure that the illegal aliens do not sit on the border and worry about the Americans they are about to screw over. I see the same attitude moving here. I see the I am better than you thing going on and it bugs me. I need money to live that is true I would rather not have the money and just live the life I used to live where I barely got by but I could afford my town. No one ever sees themselves as the problem they usually deny it and keep doing what they do. For me it's more about remembering those who were here before you. Remembering who you are. How you were raised. I gotta go to work I can explain myself better tonight..

Old 01-08-2010, 10:29 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay View Post
Even if I was making a lot of money it would not matter. Its's the principle that gets to me. I see a lot of people thinking that they deserve to be here but they resent the people who have lived here. I hear the comments all the time. I read them in the press I hear them on the street. My wife hears them at work bag on local people. I don't know how long you have lived here Sage and I am sure that for you and everyone else this is paradise. For me it is sadness because I really liked my town. I liked what it was. I accepted my life here and I took what I got. Which was not much. Yes I barely get by. I live from paycheck to paycheck. I have zero savings no 401k no unemployment cause I am self employed. I am my own safety net. Except mine has huge gaping holes in it. Huntwood and all the other modular places are trying to take all the business actually they are getting a good portion of it. Yes it bothers me a little can I stop it no. I can't stop anything from happening. What I can do is make people realize where they are now. Or at least make them think about who is there. I am sure that the illegal aliens do not sit on the border and worry about the Americans they are about to screw over. I see the same attitude moving here. I see the I am better than you thing going on and it bugs me. I need money to live that is true I would rather not have the money and just live the life I used to live where I barely got by but I could afford my town. No one ever sees themselves as the problem they usually deny it and keep doing what they do. For me it's more about remembering those who were here before you. Remembering who you are. How you were raised. I gotta go to work I can explain myself better tonight..
Your resentment for those of us who have chosen to move here is palpable, although I think we live very different experiences thus our views are different. I DO think that you shouldn't be surprised when people think you have a chip on your shoulder and treat you accordingly.

I'm a retired Los Angeles cop. We've been moving here in droves for the past 50 years. Among people I run into who run down Californians, it's interesting that I, as a retired cop, get a "pass" from those people because they like when cops move here, and they know the area's reputation for attracting us.

However, I think it's patently unfair to say that folks moving to Idaho for the reasons I've outlined above are Idaho's version of the "Mexican invasion" going on in California and southwest states. An example is that many of the folks I know (including me) brought businesses that employ several "locals", spend a lot of money on supplies and raw goods locally, etc.

But I understand your general feeling. If the area stayed exactly the same, or even declined slightly, you'd remain financially shaky but prices wouldn't otherwise climb much beyond the rate of inflation. I just think that it's unrealistic to the point of being a bit absurd to look for people to "hold responsible" and find it's "those dang newcomers"....

Old 01-08-2010, 06:18 PM

You know Sage your right. 100%. I will do us both a favor. I will shut up and get on with getting on.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:25 PM

420 posts, read 1,193,870 times
Good Luck EJAY.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:02 PM

I agree ateo 100%

Old 01-09-2010, 09:27 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times
I moved to Idaho for my job and I'll leave for the same reason. Not a bad place though.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:53 AM

226 posts, read 979,729 times
Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
i moved to idaho for my job and i'll leave for the same reason. Not a bad place though.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:38 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
"Now tonight in a local department store it looked like a bomb went off.
Clothes and shoes laying all over the floor with kids running unattended everywhere..."

I'm not in California, but just WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH THIS?? I work in a department store, and find I have to constantly ask the children of these "immigrants" to stop running around the store and ask them where in the heck their parents are - which is frequently all the way on the other side of the store somewhere, and these are often very YOUNG children. I had to ask several older children to stop jumping on the display beds as their mother stood just a few feet away paying for some merchandise, saying nothing to them. Aside from the fact that they are tearing things up and could get hurt running around, don't the parents understand that we have a lot of sickos in this country that will snatch up their child and run?

I realize all children misbehave in stores sometimes, etc, but I see this specific to our hispanic/immigrant customers every day, and have heard sales people complaining about it in other stores besides my own. We appreciate their business, and I've decided it must be a cultural thing, but I don't understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho