Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 01:59 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown11 View Post
lol. You're short, which means your dumb and unelectable! Wow...I didn't realize people up in your neck of the woods could be so, ah, short sighted.

Out here, everyones either a racist or a corporate stooge.

I might just elect someone based solely on their height...save me some headaches and sleepless nights worrying about how many ignoramuses(sp?) will overule my vote. By my calculations I(and people like me) am outnumbered by at least 100,000.

I also have to tell me wife who to vote for, since she doesn't pay attention to anything political. And since she knows that I know her well enough to know who she'd likely vote for had she been paying attention, she votes accordingly. So I guess I am only outnumbered by 50,000 - since I technically have two votes.

Well actually...the guy doing the cartoons and letters about the short candidate is from Southern CA. He's only been here a couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 02:44 PM

464 posts, read 1,111,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Well actually...the guy doing the cartoons and letters about the short candidate is from Southern CA. He's only been here a couple of years.
My surname is Lynch. Feel free to form a mob for this gentleman!

Old 05-24-2010, 03:30 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
If anyone is interested in any candidates opinions on motorized recreation, atv use, etc, North Idaho ATV Association sent questionairs to a large number of candidates. Most of the ones running for state and county positions responded, unfortunately only one running for our US representative's seat did. Here's the link if you're interested. Center of the page, about half way down.

North Idaho ATV Association, Inc

Old 05-25-2010, 08:39 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,471 times
I know we have a guy running for county commissioner that is dumber than a hammer handle. Nough said.

We had several meet the candidates nights and it was eye opening. We also had some really sour campaigning. I think it did more harm to the candidate it was meant to promote than bad for the candidates it spoke badly of.

May the best Men and Women win. We will know tonight.

Chris

Old 05-25-2010, 11:19 AM

464 posts, read 1,111,504 times
Is he as dumb as that U.S. Representative that believed the island of Guam would capsize if too many American Navy personnel were stationed there.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:15 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,471 times
LOL He makes that statement look correct.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:26 AM

20 posts, read 37,671 times
..48 Wolves and 2 pigs sit down at the table to vote on what's for lunch. Voice count went around the table and wouldn't you know there was 48 votes for pig! First pig said "that ain't fair. Lead member of the wolf caucus said, "we democratically voted on it", as the rest of that caucus nodded agreeing. Second pig sat there with a grin on his face then drew out two very large revolvers looking across the table and said, "now... what was that count again"!

..At this point you might ask yourselves, "what's the difference between mob rule and brute force to survive. If you came up with the answer "salad" you'd be wrong. One is obviously right from common sense and doesn't hide the truth of the matter. The other you can figure out for yourself if you weren't trapped in the lie yourself. Lunch anyone?

Old 06-17-2010, 01:40 PM

20 posts, read 37,671 times
Lightbulb clarification...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMBFisherman View Post
..48 Wolves and 2 pigs sit down at the table to vote on what's for lunch. Voice count went around the table and wouldn't you know there was 48 votes for pig! First pig said "that ain't fair. Lead member of the wolf caucus said, "we democratically voted on it", as the rest of that caucus nodded agreeing. Second pig sat there with a grin on his face then drew out two very large revolvers looking across the table and said, "now... what was that count again"!

..At this point you might ask yourselves, "what's the difference between mob rule and brute force to survive. If you came up with the answer "salad" you'd be wrong. One is obviously right from common sense and doesn't hide the truth of the matter. The other you can figure out for yourself if you weren't trapped in the lie yourself. Lunch anyone?
..Occurred to me afterward that some may confuse my point because the metaphorical example is somewhat in a cloud intentionally to cause more thought of the matter. To be clear I'm calling no one posted here a liar. The point goes to people believed Stalin and he saw them as useful dupes and it was too late for them when they sat down for lunch. They had no "voice" nor place for it, so inevitable for collapse. The two pigs had a voice, one was assured and stood represented.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:53 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
At age 66, I've seen lots of elections, and Idaho politics is most often down and dirty. We lost a former Governor to assassination once, and some incredibly negative campaigns of the past have thrown tons of mud on a rather frequent basis. The last few elections have been mighty weak tea in comparison.

But it's also my observation that, usually, the further right or left a candidate is, the lesser the chance he will be elected. Idaho is essentally a few shades rightward of the middle in both parties, and tends to stay that way, time after time, in statewide and federal elections.

Federally, the 1st District has been the wild card for about 20 years or so, tending to elect candidates that are further right than most of the rest of the state. Earlier, 25-35 years ago, it was the 2nd District that did that stuff.

I'm sure Idaho newbies don't know about George Hanson and his quixotic fight to keep the Panama Canal as US Territory after it's lease was up and had been sold back to Panama. And this debate was going on while Hanson was under Federal indictment. He lost, but only by a handful of votes and a re-count.
That was back in the early 70's, and the rest of the country thought that hot debate was very odd, but it's typical of Idaho's politics.

The current Republican political dominance happened very slowly, and reflected the country's swing to conservatism from the 80's to 2006. In the early 70's, there was a Democratic majority in Idaho's legislature for quite a while, and the election of 1972 largely tossed out a Republican administration from top to bottom.

The swing rightward really started with the Reagan election of 1980, but even then, Idaho liked to have governors from one party balanced by legislators from the other for years. Eventually, the state became almost completely Republican. If and when a shift happens, it will likely be sudden and big, as it always has been in the past.

The only other constant that comes to mind is Idaho's voter turnout. The state always turns out in high numbers for the major races, especially during troubled times or any big contrasts between important candidates. I've seen turnout go as high as 85% several times over the years.

2010 may be a telling election in several ways: C D'A and all of N. Idaho has a larger population now, which means it is a greater political force than in the past, when most of the population lay in Boise and southward.
There is also an influx of younger voters from outside Idaho, who are moving to Boise, C D'A mostly, and lesser, to IF, Rexburg and Poky. The young voters are largely young marrieds, and seem to cover the political spectrum. The single thing they tend to share is an urban background, not the traditional rural background. They are also a wider racial group as well.

The other steady change I've noticed is the growing presence of women as party leaders, candidates, and active voters. Women have always been active, but they are taking over some of the territory that was once exclusively male in every election.

At the same time, the leadership of both parties is almost totally old, white, male, and come from rural backgrounds. All this has the makings of keeping Idaho politics very interesting for some years to come.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:12 AM

674 posts, read 1,459,127 times
Very good writeup.

And yes, I remember George Hansen! He's looking into having a movie made of his Panama Canal exploits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho