Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:54 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Not so. I don't think the problem is with the police at all. In fact, many Arizona police agencies have come out against SB1070. I think the problem is that SB1070 has been a touchstone and made it fashionable for people to bash the Hispanic population in general. It has opened the door for right wing extremists to spout untruths and predjudice against a certain group of people. There are many posts on CD alone that blame hispanic illegals for all the crime, all the state financial problems, in short every problem we have in the nation with no statistics to back up their claims. There are many posts on CD where posters claim that legal Hispanics are complicit in the illegal alien problem. Thereby creating guilt through association. It has provided a forum for right wing fringe elements whose only message is hate and predjudice. These people would normally keep their vituperative diatribes on stormfront but now post on mainstream forums. The Hispanic population in Arizona are living in fear. Not because they think the cops are gonna do anything but because the heated and one sided rhetoric has inflamed people and their neighbors may take irrational action against them and their families.

There are over 1.5 million legal Hispanics in Arizona. What's the best case scenario with SB1070? 2000-3000 illegals directly caught via SB1070 over a 4 year period? Is that small amount worth alienating 1.5 million people? I don't think.
Just curious, if they enact this law in Mass. are you gonna call it Brazilian bashing b/c thats what most illegals are over near Boston, or if they enact it in NYC are you gonna call it Middle Eastern bashing. Get a grip, the illegal problem in ARI is is illegal Meixcans so yes thats who they are targeting. You may think 2 to 3000 is a small number. To me and many others, 1 illegal criminal is too many!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 11:58 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
How do you eat an elephant?
Small piece at a time?

Old 06-23-2010, 12:38 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
So how about the members of the border patrol and police forces who are brown - are they guilty of this profiling charge as well?

Old 06-23-2010, 01:09 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Just curious, if they enact this law in Mass. are you gonna call it Brazilian bashing b/c thats what most illegals are over near Boston, or if they enact it in NYC are you gonna call it Middle Eastern bashing. Get a grip, the illegal problem in ARI is is illegal Meixcans so yes thats who they are targeting. You may think 2 to 3000 is a small number. To me and many others, 1 illegal criminal is too many!
So you're willing to alienate whole cultural groups for the sake of apprehending 1 person of committing a civil violation? That statement alone proves my point of how out of line SB1070 has skewed the whole illegal immigration debate.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:07 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Filing a brief.

Filing a lawsuit.

Two different things.

Mexico is not a plaintiff suing Arizona in any pending lawsuits in the United States. Mexico is not suing Arizona.

It's plain English.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:11 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJackson1980 View Post
ilegal aliens need to leave tha usa
mexico needs to shut up
bout tha way we do things
specialy with there own laws
agains ilegal aliens like guatemalans
I'm sure the rest of the world often wishes that the United States would shut up when it criticizes things that happen in other countries. Mexico is free to be as critical as they wish. Mexico is free to explain to the court their interest in the Arizona law. You don't need to care about Mexico's perspective if you don't want to. The court doesn't need to care about Mexico's interest if it doesn't want to. Why? Because Mexico hasn't filed a lawsuit against Arizona.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:23 PM

364 posts, read 244,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm sure the rest of the world often wishes that the United States would shut up when it criticizes things that happen in other countries. Mexico is free to be as critical as they wish. Mexico is free to explain to the court their interest in the Arizona law. You don't need to care about Mexico's perspective if you don't want to. The court doesn't need to care about Mexico's interest if it doesn't want to. Why? Because Mexico hasn't filed a lawsuit against Arizona.
i hope mexico dose something stupid like that
all tha mor reason to shut down tha border
with our soldiers marines etc
packin guns and willin to use em

Old 06-23-2010, 07:25 PM

364 posts, read 244,368 times
Quote:
So you're willing to alienate whole cultural groups for the sake of apprehending 1 person of committing a civil violation? That statement alone proves my point of how out of line SB1070 has skewed the whole illegal immigration debate.
my give a dam broke
if tha hispanic ppl see themselfs
as mexicans not americans
they can leave tha usa also
1070 does not allow profiling
so no prob

Old 06-23-2010, 07:32 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
SB1070 alienates a whole culture of American Society through implication and association.
First of all it doesn't.
But for the sake of argument lets assume that it does.
When the illegals first arrive illegally in the USA where do they stay?
Who helps them to find work? Provides them with food? Helps them attain fraudulent paper work? Who protests the loudest and most often anytime there is talk of going after illegals?
Well it isn't illegals from Greenland.
So if it alienates a certain group that to date has done a pretty good job of facilitating said illegals I really have no heartburn with it.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:44 PM

406 posts, read 495,812 times
Quote:
Funny how perception is. I consider SB1070 the stupidest thing I've seen state government do in my lifetime. Pass a bill that alienates an entire culture of American Society for very minimal results. Create a climate of hate and fear mongering for what? Maybe 2000, 3000 illegal immigrants taken off the streets of Arizona. Like trying to kill an elephant with a fly swatter.

That better be a big fly swatter because there is an estimated 400,000 to 600,000 illegals in Arizona, or is that just Phoenix I forget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration