Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:51 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
If it is discrimination against native English speakers where Spanish isn't necessary to do business with legal American citizens and it isn't tourist or foreign market related then, YES. It isn't so funny when it is you who is the one on the receiving end of discrimination in this manner in your own country just because greedy employers and our PC government want to pander to illegal aliens and therefore deny you a job in favor of a Spanish speaker.
You could be a Spanish speaker too, you know. Plenty of Americans without Hispanic heritage are, and they are rightfully more competitive for employment.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:55 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Where did this 'anyone who can't speak English is presumably an illegal immigrant' thing come from all of a sudden?

I spent almost two years living, legally, in Sweden and Denmark. After those two years I could speak some Swedish and Danish. But I most certainly wouldn't have been able to do all of my dealings with the Migrationsverket, Arbetsförmedlingen and Skatteverket in Swedish or Danish. Luckily, all the forms were also in English.

You don't magically become able to speak the language as soon as you gain legal entry into the country. It takes time, and you'll always be more comfortable in your native language.
So native American English speakers should be denied jobs to placate new immigrants or illegal aliens that can't speak the language or because after living here for awhile an immigrant still feels more comfortable speaking and hearing their native langauge being spoken to them? I don't think so!

Old 07-15-2010, 03:55 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
this is what you and most people outside New Mexico dont understand, most of us Hispanics in New Mexico and Spanish, like from Spain in Europe, its funny how I just told you we were Spanish then you assumed I was talking about Mexican.

Im not being graded on this and its just a forum so I really dont care how it looks, and why do people always point on spelling errors to people on City Data when they dont like what they read.

and I may live in a border state but I do live in the USA, so I dont wanna learn a new language and I dont have to, Im not gonna put it my time and effort to learn something I dont wanna learn, and anyways I know the basics, I did grow up in NM.

give it time, maybe Tulsa will turn out to be like South TX.
Many areas in Tulsa already have a large Hispanic population, and I love it. Bring it on!

We're neighbors, desertsun. Oklahoma borders with NM, and I frequently travel there as I have many friends and work associates on various reservations.

In this case, I wasn't trying to deflect from your message. We all make errors, but it's usually easy to tell the typos from those who flat out don't know the proper grammer, punctuation, or spelling. Not a big deal........unless you're whining about people who can't speak English!

Old 07-15-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You could be a Spanish speaker too, you know. Plenty of Americans without Hispanic heritage are, and they are rightfully more competitive for employment.
There wouldn't be that kind of competiveness to deal with if not for so many illegal alien Spanish speakers in this country and that has my been my point all along. It is ridiculous to have to learn the language of illegal alien invaders to get a job or stay competitive in one's own country. I'll learn Swahili first!

Old 07-15-2010, 03:58 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttothechase View Post
Yeah, well if East Tulsa has several illegals who speak English well, then East Tulsa is also crammed full of illegal hispanics that don't speak English who require a bilingual supervisor who can relay the orders from the white non Spanish speaking owner to the illegal hispanic day laborers.
LOL, they aren't just in East Tulsa. I'm no where near East Tulsa.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
There is no such thing as an anchor baby. Having a child who is a citizen does not entitle an alien to citizenship or even lawful residency.

No matter how many times your lie is repeated, it will not be the truth.
Not right now it isn't but these illegals giving birth on our soil think that will give them leverage to stay here in the future not to mention that through their anchors they are entitled to monthly welfare benefits and all kinds of other freebies.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
And you know for a fact that there are no native speakers of English who also speak Spanish or some other language.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Where the hell did I say that? I didn't!

Old 07-15-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Have you seen any employment ads requiring that all applicants be monlingual Spanish speakers?

If not, what is the evidence that some jobs won't hire people who speak English?
Who said that there were ads for applicants that are mono-lingual Spanish speakers? No one said that! What we said is there are ads that require that an applicant be a bi-lingual employee...English/Spanish and that they won't hire a mono-lingual English speaker based on that criteria.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:08 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
So native American English speakers should be denied jobs to placate new immigrants or illegal aliens that can't speak the language or because after living here for awhile an immigrant still feels more comfortable speaking and hearing their native langauge being spoken to them? I don't think so!
No.

No 'native American English speakers' are being denied jobs.

People who don't have the skills the employer requires are being denied jobs.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:10 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaProud View Post
It is getting to the point where I HAVE to learn spanish just to get a job .
It's getting to the point where I have to:
have a GED
have a HS diploma
have a college diploma
have a masters degree
have a PhD
have a certificate
have a license
etc

just to get a job

These fickle employers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration