Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 04:28 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times

Advertisements

Not all, no, but I do know that there is a larger chance that someone in that fast food joint is working there undocumented. You can't look at someone and say that they are undocumented. However, there is no doubt that most undocumented people here are of Hispanic descent and I think denying that fact is just a way to ignore the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
When we had a business, there were very strict procedures we had to go through in the hiring process. I highly doubt that a business such as McDonalds would chance hiring illegals, so I would assume the workers are legal.
I think of illegals as being migrant workers etc, where the workers move around, and employer's chance of getting caught is low.
I worked at McDonalds throughout high school in Kentucky and I can tell you that they DID indeed hire undocumented workers. The thing that people don't realize is that there are two ways to have an undocumented person working for you: (1) you didn't know you were hiring someone undocumented because they had false papers and documentes and (2) you knew they were undocumented, but you just didn't care. Both methods lead to an undocumented person working in the US, which is wrong.

Also, often, it's not McDonalds that is hiring the undocumented people. McDonalds may have stores that are owned and operated by people not affiliated with McDonalds other than owning a McDonalds. So, things aren't always going to be done correctly or monitored closely by McDonalds if they are trying to protect their image and stay out of court. Also, employees and management aren't always going to do things the right way.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Straight from an illegal aliens (Mina) mouth: Her and most others at the McDonalds where she works, are illegal from mexico and Guatemala.

I no longer frequent that establishment.
Exactly. Nothing like having actual proof of what is going on. For me, I used to work there in high school back in the 90s and they would straight up tell you that they are illegally here.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:34 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Yes, I assume the Hispanic workers at McDonalds on I-40 & Mustang Road in Yukon, Oklahoma are illegals because they all appear to be in their 20's and have trouble understanding English. The owner is Hispanic, and all he hires are Hispanics. I know, you can't do that, but, he does. One birdbrain who works there brought me my food (drive thru) and handed it to me; I asked him to put it in a sack, but he didn't know what a sack was, and I never could explain it to him, so I left and called the corporate office the next day and told them that this McDonalds is hiring people who don't even know what a sack is!
A "sack" is a colloquialism, not used in general vocabulary. Now if you don't want to put that slider in a poke and share that grub on my davenport, then maybe you should be deported. Communication is a two way street, whether someone is legal or not.

I had a work visa in a foriegn country. I did not know the language. I did the best I could to communicate. Each week, I learned more and more. I am grateful that people there were more tolerant than many of the people here.

Last edited by MissNM; 08-25-2010 at 04:49 PM..

Old 08-25-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post

If someone can't speak English,
I assume they are illegal.
I don't think that is a good policy. A lot of times people are here legally because they came along with family or maybe they just arrived in our country legally? If I went to another country, say Japan or Brasil, to work or to study and I did not speak Japanese (which I do) or Portuguese, it would bother me that someone thought I was illegally there just because I didn't speak their language.

Put yourself in that position: if you had to go to another country for work or you wanted to move to another country and you did not speak the language yet (France, Germany, etc.), would you want someone assuming you were there undocumented?

Now, understand I don't support illegal immigration at all, but I thought what you said was wrong and the last thing we need to be thinking as we try go after illegal immigration.

Last edited by SoEdible; 08-25-2010 at 04:47 PM..

Old 08-25-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Shooter McDonough View Post
Other tell tale signs include blaring their god awful Salsa music from their cars, which usually has 8 people in it, as well as waving a foreign flag.
Oh gosh, so if this happens, the people in the vehicle are undocumented? Come on guys ...

Old 08-25-2010, 04:50 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Re-read my post. My point was that YOU did take some action which had results and which I duly noted. The question was asked of NYChistorygal who had said that she knew that McDonalds in her area hired undocumented aliens and that nothing was done about it. She appeared to have knowledge that "they" were reported. Maybe they were reported by somebody and maybe the accusations were found to be groundless.
You misunderstood my post. The women who worked there reported the illegals, but nothing happened. No investigation.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:53 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You could be right, since I have not lived in an area where there were many immigrants, either legal or illegal. So, you are saying that they have false identification and false social security cards, or are you saying that businesses just don't even require those things?
Thankfully, the McDonalds around where we lived hired local high school students, and retired people who actually care. If I were at a business where I didn't think the employees were invested, or if they didn't speak English, that would be the only time I set foot in it. They wouldn't be in business very long, so that would take care of that problem. If you put up with substandard things, you deserve what you get.
You've never heard of fake or stolen IDs and Social Security numbers?

Old 08-25-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Yes, I assume the Hispanic workers at McDonalds on I-40 & Mustang Road in Yukon, Oklahoma are illegals because they all appear to be in their 20's and have trouble understanding English. The owner is Hispanic, and all he hires are Hispanics. I know, you can't do that, but, he does. One birdbrain who works there brought me my food (drive thru) and handed it to me; I asked him to put it in a sack, but he didn't know what a sack was, and I never could explain it to him, so I left and called the corporate office the next day and told them that this McDonalds is hiring people who don't even know what a sack is!
This is actually an ISSUE that I haven't seen addressed. I see it happen around here in Kentucky. There will be a fast food restaurant and the only people working there will be Hispanic (non-speakers of English and more than likely Mexican or Guatemalan) or thre will be one non-Hispanic in the drive-thru or up front at the cash register. You'd think that that is discrimination and violates Equal Employment Opportunity laws. However, once again, Mexicans, Hispanics and undocumented people are not held to the same laws, so they get away with it. I once asked an owner of Taco Bell and Chick-Fil-A if he only hired Hispanics, just to make the point that Hispanic people were the only people in his restaurant (he was a shift-manager) and he just laughed.

I advise everyone to write the companies that own the restaurants that you see doing this as well as your city government.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:42 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Exactly. Nothing like having actual proof of what is going on. For me, I used to work there in high school back in the 90s and they would straight up tell you that they are illegally here.
One why I found out(in SoCal) if a non- english speaker in a fast food joint, was illegal or not, is: I have a nylon jacket identical to the CHP and BP. I make an order and ask"do you speak english?' If they don't, I ask if they have a green card. When they go running back to the kitchen(some started crying). That pretty much answers the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration