Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 11:03 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,686 times

Advertisements

Unless I'm eating at In and Out Burger, which checks the status of each and every prospective employee, I am generally suspect of people working at fast food restaurants who cannot even put together a semi-coherent sentence in English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 11:18 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Most of the fast food restaurants in my area put the non English speakers in the kitchen area and the Americans and English speaking foreigners at the registers. That being said I believe the majority are legal residents or native born Americans, major chains like McDonald's, Taco Bell, Wendy's, Quiznos, etc would not risk hiring illegals. My bet is that your much more likely to encounter illegals at family owned restaurants and non chain restaurants.

Here's a personal story. We have had a Quiznos in my town for about 6 years now and the assistant manager and I have become good friends due to my repeated visits. He's Hispanic, speaks very good English with an accent. Moral of the story: not all Hispanics are illegals and many of the legal Hispanics do wish to better their lives. They have dreams and aspirations just like the rest of us. My friend started out as the guy working the register and wrapping the sandwiches and is now on track to become the full manager.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:34 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,423,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
When we had a business, there were very strict procedures we had to go through in the hiring process. I highly doubt that a business such as McDonalds would chance hiring illegals, so I would assume the workers are legal.
Quote:
I think of illegals as being migrant workers etc, where the workers move around, and employer's chance of getting caught is low
DUH where have you been for the last 30 years?
McDonalds is known (by anyone who knows anything about illegal immigation) for knowingly hiring illegals

Old 08-25-2010, 11:44 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
If you visit Gainesville Fl you will be pleasantly surprised not to see illegals doing the so called jobs Americans are too lazy to do. We might be one of the last medium sized cities that does not have a sizable illegal immigrant work force.
I moved to Kentucky this summer from Northern VA. In Northern VA it was all hispanics in McDonalds. Here in Kentucky it's a much different story.

Don't tell me McD's don't hire illegals. While working in banking in VA I cashed a lot of McDonald's employee checks and half the hispanics brought in ID's any idiot could take one look at and see they were fake.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Quote:
Most of the fast food restaurants in my area put the non English speakers in the kitchen area and the Americans and English speaking foreigners at the registers. That being said I believe the majority are legal residents or native born Americans, major chains like McDonald's, Taco Bell, Wendy's, Quiznos, etc would not risk hiring illegals. My bet is that your much more likely to encounter illegals at family owned restaurants and non chain restaurants.
Here's a personal story. We have had a Quiznos in my town for about 6 years now and the assistant manager and I have become good friends due to my repeated visits. He's Hispanic, speaks very good English with an accent. Moral of the story: not all Hispanics are illegals and many of the legal Hispanics do wish to better their lives. They have dreams and aspirations just like the rest of us. My friend started out as the guy working the register and wrapping the sandwiches and is now on track to become the full manager.
Hellloooo, any body home?

The fast food joints "in your area" aren't the only ones that exist,,,by a long shot.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:53 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
When we had a business, there were very strict procedures we had to go through in the hiring process. I highly doubt that a business such as McDonalds would chance hiring illegals, so I would assume the workers are legal.
I think of illegals as being migrant workers etc, where the workers move around, and employer's chance of getting caught is low.
Those procedures are still in effect and the penalties for hiring an undocumented foreigner are severe with a $10K minimum fine on the employer and deportation of the illegal worker. I've owned my restaurant business for many years now and have been asked several times to hire undocumented people who are "friends of friends" (a couple of Canadians, one Irish and one German) and I won't touch that issue with a ten foot barge pole as my business means everything to me. A young lady from the UK approached me recently by email asking if I could use her in my place and when I questioned her visa status it turned out that she had a very limited student visa which didn't allow her to work in the US, only to temporarily study. A no again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I assume most are here illegally as well.
You know what they say about assumptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Straight from an illegal aliens (Mina) mouth: Her and most others at the McDonalds where she works, are illegal from mexico and Guatemala.

I no longer frequent that establishment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Think again. I know two young women who worked at McDs and yes, they hire a lot of Mexican illegals around here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
DUH where have you been for the last 30 years?
McDonalds is known (by anyone who knows anything about illegal immigation) for knowingly hiring illegals
Then if all you knowledgeable people are so sure that your local McDonalds franchise operations are hiring undocumented aliens, how come you've not reported them? Statistically with thousands upon thousands of McDonalds operations running throughout the US there must be a veritable hotbed of illegal immigrants in that franchise alone who are taking thousands of jobs away from unemployed US citizens. But you and presumably hundreds of others who "know" this information just sit back and do nothing?

Old 08-25-2010, 11:59 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,712 times
Yes, I assume the Hispanic workers at McDonalds on I-40 & Mustang Road in Yukon, Oklahoma are illegals because they all appear to be in their 20's and have trouble understanding English. The owner is Hispanic, and all he hires are Hispanics. I know, you can't do that, but, he does. One birdbrain who works there brought me my food (drive thru) and handed it to me; I asked him to put it in a sack, but he didn't know what a sack was, and I never could explain it to him, so I left and called the corporate office the next day and told them that this McDonalds is hiring people who don't even know what a sack is!

Old 08-25-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Then if all you knowledgeable people are so sure that your local McDonalds franchise operations are hiring undocumented aliens, how come you've not reported them? Statistically with thousands upon thousands of McDonalds operations running throughout the US there must be a veritable hotbed of illegal immigrants in that franchise alone who are taking thousands of jobs away from unemployed US citizens. But you and presumably hundreds of others who "know" this information just sit back and do nothing?
Who said they weren't being reported?
I've reported them to ICE several times in SoCal and caused raids on some places.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:51 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Those procedures are still in effect and the penalties for hiring an undocumented foreigner are severe with a $10K minimum fine on the employer and deportation of the illegal worker. I've owned my restaurant business for many years now and have been asked several times to hire undocumented people who are "friends of friends" (a couple of Canadians, one Irish and one German) and I won't touch that issue with a ten foot barge pole as my business means everything to me. A young lady from the UK approached me recently by email asking if I could use her in my place and when I questioned her visa status it turned out that she had a very limited student visa which didn't allow her to work in the US, only to temporarily study. A no again.

You know what they say about assumptions.

They did report them. Nothing happened.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:07 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I moved to Kentucky this summer from Northern VA. In Northern VA it was all hispanics in McDonalds. Here in Kentucky it's a much different story.

Don't tell me McD's don't hire illegals. While working in banking in VA I cashed a lot of McDonald's employee checks and half the hispanics brought in ID's any idiot could take one look at and see they were fake.
If they were obviously fake, why did you cash them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration