Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 12:48 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,013,981 times

Advertisements

Is there any truth to this statement & if so how so?

Old 11-06-2010, 01:01 AM

7,187 posts, read 4,773,796 times
Yes, there is a lot of truth to that statement. However, it is irrelevant.

Why?

1. Too many Hispanics are here illegally.

2. Their first language is Spanish or they are bilingual (which aggravates monolingual English speakers).

3. Too many of them look brown.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:43 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,328,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Yes, there is a lot of truth to that statement. However, it is irrelevant.

Why?

1. Too many Hispanics are here illegally.

2. Their first language is Spanish or they are bilingual (which aggravates monolingual English speakers).

3. Too many of them look brown.
Oh, I see we have another race card puller in the house.

1. There are far too many Hispanics here illegally. Do the math.

2. Bilinguilism isn't the problem. Assimilation and making English their primary language of usage seems to be an adversion with them.

3. Who cares what skin color a person has?

Old 11-06-2010, 09:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
What does this have to do with illegal immigration?

Not all hispanics are here illegally. In fact those hispanics who tend to vote Republican are usually not here illegally, but many illegals of course vote for democrats. But of course there would be a difference in voting patterns. The hispanics whose families go way back in the SW portion of the USA tend to be conservatives and vote Republican, people from Cuba tended to vote Republican. Those fresh over the border and those coming for the many generous welfare handouts obviously would vote democrat.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:30 AM

7,187 posts, read 4,773,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Oh, I see we have another race card puller in the house.

1. There are far too many Hispanics here illegally. Do the math.

2. Bilinguilism isn't the problem. Assimilation and making English their primary language of usage seems to be an adversion with them.

3. Who cares what skin color a person has?
All you did was restate what I said in item #1. I already did the math. There are indeed too many Hispanics here illegally. What part of my original statement you do not understand? There are also many Chinese, Vietnamese, Gypsies, etc. here illegally.

Having non brown skin helps them stay under the radar. It eases their "assimilation" process. I have personally met quite a few Brits who have come to my house to work on cable TV issues. They came to this country on tourist visas that have long since expired and they are working here (illegally) for a cable subcontractor. You don't hear much about people like that do you? True, there aren't that many of them, and after a while you can get used to their East End accent (meaning lower class).

Indeed, many Hispanics do share many, many conservative values: no abortion, disapproval of gay lifestyle, aversion to paying taxes, strong familial ties. But all that is irrelevant because they cannot become Republicans (or Democrats) because too many of them are here illegally and cannot vote.

Better now?

Old 11-07-2010, 05:33 AM

320 posts, read 290,597 times
I know many Latinos and if the GOP wasn't perceived as anti-Hispanic many Latinos would be Republicans. Socially many are conservative.

Another thing to take into account is the diversity of the Latino demographic. We've basically grown up believing that "Hispanic" or "Latino" are basically races of like-minded people. Which is far from the truth. Latin America is a melting-pot like the U.S. There are Latinos who are white, brown, black, Asian etc. But through the media we've been taught to believe that Latino is a race of mullato's or mestizo's. Which is not the truth. Every Latin American country is diverse. Different ethnicities have different political ideologies obviously. But for the most part they tend to be religious and therefore conservative on issues such as abortion for example.

But the way that the media and the right tend to lump them all as one group and scapegoat them for many of America's problems pretty much drives them away from the GOP. I'd have to imagine that filling out a census or job application and seeing "White (Non-Hispanic)" has got to be pretty offensive. Or the racism that some may encounter based on the media and a good chunk of right-wingers portraying them as illegals and the cause of many of our nations problems have got to be off-setting. The Republicans obviously haven't thought their strategy through pertaining to Latin-Americans and I predict it will hurt them in the future.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:32 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,328,873 times
[quote=Domination83;16559293]I know many Latinos and if the GOP wasn't perceived as anti-Hispanic many Latinos would be Republicans. Socially many are conservative.

Why is the GOP perceived as anti-Hispanic? It is only Hispanics who are advocates of illegal aliens who feel that way. They think their ethnic group should be above the law and the GOP doesn't think so. Therefore it is Hispanics who are anti-GOP, not the other way around.

Another thing to take into account is the diversity of the Latino demographic. We've basically grown up believing that "Hispanic" or "Latino" are basically races of like-minded people. Which is far from the truth. Latin America is a melting-pot like the U.S. There are Latinos who are white, brown, black, Asian etc. But through the media we've been taught to believe that Latino is a race of mullato's or mestizo's. Which is not the truth. Every Latin American country is diverse. Different ethnicities have different political ideologies obviously. But for the most part they tend to be religious and therefore conservative on issues such as abortion for example.

Who is claiming that Latinos don't come in different skin tones or that they all think alike? Unfortunately though, many if not most are ethnocentric when it comes to illegal immigration, especially those from Mexico. I read some stats that Latinos in this country have the highest abortion rates. I will try to find those stats again and post them.

But the way that the media and the right tend to lump them all as one group and scapegoat them for many of America's problems pretty much drives them away from the GOP. I'd have to imagine that filling out a census or job application and seeing "White (Non-Hispanic)" has got to be pretty offensive. Or the racism that some may encounter based on the media and a good chunk of right-wingers portraying them as illegals and the cause of many of our nations problems have got to be off-setting. The Republicans obviously haven't thought their strategy through pertaining to Latin-Americans and I predict it will hurt them in the future.

You are using all the pro-illegal talking points yet you claim to be anti-illegal. The fact is though that illegal immigration is partly responsible for the economic mess we are in. It isn't only GOPers who know this. Hispanic is a culture. It doesn't belong on the census as a race. Again, you are wrong. No one thinks that all Hispanics are here illegally. Illegal immigration is not just being objected to by the Republicans but is only that party that wants do something about it. Is there something wrong with a party that respects the rule of law? In order to gain the Hispanic vote does that party have to cater to their ethnic kind by putting the illegal ones above the law? What kind of Americans would have that kind of self-centered, arrogant thinking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration