Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 10:02 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Asset seizure and forfiture is often employed by LE, particluarly for drug related issues. I won't even say offenses, in that these seizures require the defendant to prove that the money/property is theirs and not a result of drug income.

Many criminal aliens that work in the US send a portion of their income to relatives south of the border. So not only are they breaking the law by being here, draining the pockets of the taxpayers for health care and education. The income they receive, from jobs that could go to legal citizens, is taken out of the country.

Why isn't our government making an effort to track this money and seize it? This income could help pay for some of the cost of criminal immigration, both reimbursing local taxing districts and funding further enforcement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 11:01 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
[quote=Toyman at Jewel Lake;17098898]Asset seizure and forfiture is often employed by LE, particluarly for drug related issues. I won't even say offenses, in that these seizures require the defendant to prove that the money/property is theirs and not a result of drug income.

Many criminal aliens that work in the US send a portion of their income to relatives south of the border. So not only are they breaking the law by being here, draining the pockets of the taxpayers for health care and education. The income they receive, from jobs that could go to legal citizens, is taken out of the country.

Why isn't our government making an effort to track this money and seize it? This income could help pay for some of the cost of criminal immigration, both reimbursing local taxing districts and funding further enforcement.[/quote

Do you have any Idea how world-wide commerce works? Do you know that the American dollar is the offical currency of many nations? Do you know what wouold happen to the world economy if we[The United States] even mentioned out loud dollar restriction.

Play in the fantasy world of "lets seize all they got"...but in the real world, money[American money] makes the world go 'round.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:49 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Asset seizure and forfiture is often employed by LE, particluarly for drug related issues. I won't even say offenses, in that these seizures require the defendant to prove that the money/property is theirs and not a result of drug income.

Why isn't our government making an effort to track this money and seize it? This income could help pay for some of the cost of criminal immigration, both reimbursing local taxing districts and funding further enforcement.
I understand the intent but I think the execution would a have limited return.

Every time I read about a drug dealer's vehicle being seized, the car is often a high-end, late model vehicle that has significant worth and can be auctioned and the proceeds used to pay for law enforcement activities. Or, they can use the car for undercover operations or convert them to police cars. The drug dealers can afford them because they're making a lot of money of drug sales.

On the other hand, illegal immigrants aren't making much money which can be deduced from the low wages they are willing to work for. Therefore, they are probably driving a busted-up 1988 Toyota Corolla. I doubt much would be collected from an auction of a car like that. More likely, more money could be collected from the scrap yard but even then not much.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:01 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
[quote=1751texan;17099716]
Quote:

Why isn't our government making an effort to track this money and seize it? This income could help pay for some of the cost of criminal immigration, both reimbursing local taxing districts and funding further enforcement.[/quote

Do you have any Idea how world-wide commerce works? Do you know that the American dollar is the offical currency of many nations? Do you know what wouold happen to the world economy if we[The United States] even mentioned out loud dollar restriction.

Play in the fantasy world of "lets seize all they got"...but in the real world, money[American money] makes the world go 'round.
What?

Speak English, please. What does that have anything to do with the GREAT point that the OP is making. I see people that I know are here illegally just riding around in big trucks and they aren't paying ANY taxes on their vehicles.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:04 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I understand the intent but I think the execution would a have limited return.

Every time I read about a drug dealer's vehicle being seized, the car is often a high-end, late model vehicle that has significant worth and can be auctioned and the proceeds used to pay for law enforcement activities. Or, they can use the car for undercover operations or convert them to police cars. The drug dealers can afford them because they're making a lot of money of drug sales.

On the other hand, illegal immigrants aren't making much money which can be deduced from the low wages they are willing to work for. Therefore, they are probably driving a busted-up 1988 Toyota Corolla. I doubt much would be collected from an auction of a car like that. More likely, more money could be collected from the scrap yard but even then not much.
I think most do drive older busted-up models, but I know illegal immigrants that pretty much are big on cars, so they work their two jobs, making basically $500 a week and they get their big trucks with their rims.

They get all the things they have by working illegally in the United States.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:28 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
Yes their assets SHOULD be siezed and the assets of those that emply them should be seized and forfeited also.Then the problem would be solved.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:26 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Yes their assets SHOULD be siezed and the assets of those that emply them should be seized and forfeited also.Then the problem would be solved.

Oh that's a real good idea....... Then we would have a few million more unemployed American workers....

Old 12-25-2010, 01:42 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Oh that's a real good idea....... Then we would have a few million more unemployed American workers....
Wrong it would force others into compliance to remove their potential liabilities(Illegal Alien employees) and free up jobs for Americans.

Any assets seized would help offset enforcement costs and with Illegals deported future costs for infrastructure and welfare for Anchor Babies would decrease,so you couldn't be more WRONG !!!

Employers following the Law would be rewarded by NOT having to compete with companies that had an unfair advantage by paying substandard wages to people that aren't even supposed to be here.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:08 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:

Because it is something that would probably work.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:26 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Irrational.

First you got to pass a new law making the assets of illegals seizable. Lots of luck. The vast majority of the population disapproves of illegals and wishes they would go home. Virtually the same majority however is opposed to a forced deportation. So you will have little support outside of the far right for an asset forfeiture action.

Next you probably have to charge them with something or at least go to court to sieze the property. That then opens up the whole legal process. Can no longer get them to sign a piece of paper and leave. You have to go to court.

Finally sure they have a car...maybe even a nice one...guess what? It has a loan on it which is worth more than the car...

So you can't pass the law...could not afford to enforce it and would get little return in the end..

Other than that a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration