Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 05:22 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I see we agree on something. I know “real” racism -- not this manufactured pro-illegal BS. So, yes, I know when it’s unfounded, and only used to garner support for an agenda.
SPOT ON
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 10:23 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You should see the Walmart close to me. You really could think you're in Mexico. They often do the announcements in Spanish and some days they're playing Mexican cantina music loud over the intercomm. Seriously why do Americans have to like feeling that they're now living in Mexico?
What do you expect for El Paso?...

Old 07-10-2011, 11:12 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Exactly it's a border city, but at least they're not bringing crime; El Paso was recently named the safest city in the U.S. (lowest crime rates).

Old 07-11-2011, 06:59 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Well -- you don't see everything in English in Juarez - so why isn't the reverse true? Is El Paso in the USA or not?

Old 07-11-2011, 11:20 AM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,263 times
Quote:
Well -- you don't see everything in English in Juarez - so why isn't the reverse true? Is El Paso in the USA or not?
Because there probably aren't enough Americans there? Now in San Miguel de Allende where there are a lot of retired Americans and Canadians you can find more English organizations including a library with large collection of English books and Church mass being offered in English.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
El Paso is a uniquely blended border city with a large influence from Mexico - Maybe it is about those "Shopping Visas" you alluded to. That is, when Mexicans aren't shopping in the many U.S.-based chains like Wal-Mart within Juarez.

For being a resident of El Paso, it seems to be quite a bit of resentment for what the city is, and where it is located...

Old 07-14-2011, 10:45 AM

1,742 posts, read 959,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Do you have some data to support this? How long did it take these groups to have proficiency numbers above those of Mexican immigrants today?
I'm interested to know if there are any statistics that compare English language abilities of Spanish speaking immigrants (whether legal or illegal) and those of other language backgrounds. Based purely on personal observations and experience (which admitedly are purely anecdotal and not scientific), it seems to me that Spanish speakers are much slower and more reluctant to learn English.

The workforce at my job is extremely diverse, with immigrants from many different countries, and I can't help but notice that immigrants from the Middle East, Asia, or Europe often speak much better English than the immigrants from Latin America. I have one employee who is from Mexico who has lived here over 20 years. She speaks English, but with a VERY heavy accent and very ungramatically. There are numerous times I have to ask her to repeat herself because I can't understand her. When she takes her lunch in the lunch room, she immediately turns the TV to a Spanish channel. Apparently, outside of work she speaks absolutely no English. On the other hand, I have two employees from Iraq. Both have lived here less than 5 years. They were not fluent in English when they immigrated, although they had some knowledge of it. They speak almost perfect English now, although of course they still have accents. They both always ask me about English words that are new to them, what there meaning is and how to use them. They both have said that watching American TV has helped their English. One of them even asked me "Why don't the Mexicans ever learn English?"

What really amazes me is that Spanish and English, although not closely related, both use the same Roman alphabet. Since Mexico is adjacent to the U.S, and is their most important trading partner, you would think that teaching English would be a priority in their school system. It would be a huge advantage to them economically. Arabic and English has no relationship whatsoever, and have completely different alphabets. The fact that so many Arabic speakers have chosen to master our languaqe and alphabet impresses me.

The ease of being completely Spanish speaking in our society is a big problem. It is creating seperate and parallel societies. It is breaking apart our national unity. It is a huge dis-advantage to those who choose to live their lives in the U.S. without mastering our language. They will never become fully participating members of our society.

I say this as the grandson of 3 immigrants, one of whom never did learn English.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
I'm interested to know if there are any statistics that compare English language abilities of Spanish speaking immigrants (whether legal or illegal) and those of other language backgrounds. Based purely on personal observations and experience (which admitedly are purely anecdotal and not scientific), it seems to me that Spanish speakers are much slower and more reluctant to learn English.

The workforce at my job is extremely diverse, with immigrants from many different countries, and I can't help but notice that immigrants from the Middle East, Asia, or Europe often speak much better English than the immigrants from Latin America. I have one employee who is from Mexico who has lived here over 20 years. She speaks English, but with a VERY heavy accent and very ungramatically. There are numerous times I have to ask her to repeat herself because I can't understand her. When she takes her lunch in the lunch room, she immediately turns the TV to a Spanish channel. Apparently, outside of work she speaks absolutely no English. On the other hand, I have two employees from Iraq. Both have lived here less than 5 years. They were not fluent in English when they immigrated, although they had some knowledge of it. They speak almost perfect English now, although of course they still have accents. They both always ask me about English words that are new to them, what there meaning is and how to use them. They both have said that watching American TV has helped their English. One of them even asked me "Why don't the Mexicans ever learn English?"

What really amazes me is that Spanish and English, although not closely related, both use the same Roman alphabet. Since Mexico is adjacent to the U.S, and is their most important trading partner, you would think that teaching English would be a priority in their school system. It would be a huge advantage to them economically. Arabic and English has no relationship whatsoever, and have completely different alphabets. The fact that so many Arabic speakers have chosen to master our languaqe and alphabet impresses me.

The ease of being completely Spanish speaking in our society is a big problem. It is creating seperate and parallel societies. It is breaking apart our national unity. It is a huge dis-advantage to those who choose to live their lives in the U.S. without mastering our language. They will never become fully participating members of our society.

I say this as the grandson of 3 immigrants, one of whom never did learn English.
Thank You for the candid history about your Grandparent that didn't learn English, most of the time people offer revisionist portrayals of their ancestors. My ancestry has to go back to Great Great Grandparents to get into immigrants. Most seemed to learn English to a functional level, although some weren't as comfortable in it as their native tongue.

It is anecdotal, but I've been amazed at my wife and stepchildren go from Spanish to English. TV has probably helped our kids, but the most help to my family is socially interfacing to English-speakers. I would describe it as a hunger to pick up the language to fit in.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:18 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Thank You for the candid history about your Grandparent that didn't learn English, most of the time people offer revisionist portrayals of their ancestors. My ancestry has to go back to Great Great Grandparents to get into immigrants. Most seemed to learn English to a functional level, although some weren't as comfortable in it as their native tongue.

It is anecdotal, but I've been amazed at my wife and stepchildren go from Spanish to English. TV has probably helped our kids, but the most help to my family is socially interfacing to English-speakers. I would describe it as a hunger to pick up the language to fit in.
Too bad that far too many Hispanics/Mexicans don't follow in your family's footsteps. Perhaps is it because you aren't of Mexican ancestry and they have that English language influence in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration