U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-27-2013, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601

Advertisements

Let me start out that I don't even honestly know the total population of New Mexico right now, the specific percentage of Hispanics, and haven't visited absolutely everywhere in the state. Help me figure out a way I can determine the number of illegal aliens, the same way others know how many are in their state. Next up is the entire United States, I can pull up what older posts have estimated before here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2013, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 69,893,919 times
Reputation: 27519
We'll have to pass amnesty first so we can count how many illegals there are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 08:08 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Well there were 12 million estimated illegals back when Bush was president and over 1 million illegals crossing over the borders every year since.

Throughout Mexico about 1/4 of the homes now sit vacant, and you can pretty much figure the former occupants didn't go to Mars. Plus the $2 billion remittances sent to Mexico each month provide a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well there were 12 million estimated illegals back when Bush was president and over 1 million illegals crossing over the borders every year since.

Throughout Mexico about 1/4 of the homes now sit vacant, and you can pretty much figure the former occupants didn't go to Mars. Plus the $2 billion remittances sent to Mexico each month provide a clue.
Is this some sort of canned answer you put on random topics in this forum? New Mexico. Do you need any more clues without me hearing any of the other five responses you call debate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 08:39 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Well the estimates of illegals are always on the low side and you can estimate by the number of abandoned houses in Mexico that immigration to the USA is far higher than the US government estimates which of course has it's reasons for serious underestimates.

Then you can look at the statistics that are given like in this article which shows an almost doubling of illegals every 4 years.

Top 10 States Being Invaded By Illegal Immigrants - Insider Monkey

New Mexico: 30 thousand more illegal immigrants reside in New Mexico in 2009 compared to 2005. This 46% increase in number of illegal immigrants is the fifth highest in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 09:22 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
For the population of New Mexico by year -- realizing that the undercount of illegals is always large.

https://www.google.com/publicdata/ex...20new%20mexico

2 million in 2008 and rising. In 2009 using government estimates, there would have been about 100,000 illegals and now 4 years later 146,000. Factor in the undercount and it's likely well over 200,000 illegals or more in NM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 09:39 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
And according to this research:

IV. State Settlement Patterns | Pew Hispanic Center

4.3% of the population of New Mexico is here illegally. Over 8% of births are to illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well the estimates of illegals are always on the low side...
Why? What allows you to think you have an more accurate number? Especially when you relate such convoluted detail that doesn't bear up in any other data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
...and you can estimate by the number of abandoned houses in Mexico that immigration to the USA is far higher than the US government estimates which of course has it's reasons for serious underestimates...
But you've got that serious credibility gap with me, where I've learned not to believe anything you say, at least as far as illegal immigration is concerned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
...Then you can look at the statistics that are given like in this article which shows an almost doubling of illegals every 4 years.

Top 10 States Being Invaded By Illegal Immigrants - Insider Monkey

New Mexico: 30 thousand more illegal immigrants reside in New Mexico in 2009 compared to 2005. This 46% increase in number of illegal immigrants is the fifth highest in the nation.
Why am I going to believe someone like that ("Insider Monkey, your source for free insider trading data"), I want pointers to how people are able to make that guess to how many illegal aliens are in their state. Certainly it isn't factoring anything rational, especially if they claim that illegal aliens are over 20% of the population in their state. It doesn't even look like legal immigrant information is being considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
For the population of New Mexico by year -- realizing that the undercount of illegals is always large.

https://www.google.com/publicdata/ex...20new%20mexico

2 million in 2008 and rising. In 2009 using government estimates, there would have been about 100,000 illegals and now 4 years later 146,000. Factor in the undercount and it's likely well over 200,000 illegals or more in NM.
What is the rationale to your "undercount"? You're factoring in a "slush" value, and not even providing any information to why it is there. One of the biggest logical breaks I see on this forum is to say that the Federal data is wrong, so it must be doubled, tripled, quadrupled, etc. (depending on whom it is making the claim) to get the correct value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 10:08 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
What is the rationale to your "undercount"? You're factoring in a "slush" value, and not even providing any information to why it is there. One of the biggest logical breaks I see on this forum is to say that the Federal data is wrong, so it must be doubled, tripled, quadrupled, etc. (depending on whom it is making the claim) to get the correct value.
For one in spite of very massive illegal immigration with millions coming over the borders illegally or overstaying the terms of their border crossing cards and other visas, the administration conveniently keeps reporting the same 12 million illegals as the count year after year.

8% of births in the USA are to illegals. That's a very large number.

You even admit you don't know the population of New Mexico -- while I obviously do know the population of that state, and I provided you a Pew Hispanic source on the estimated percent of illegals in that population. A lot!! 4.3% of 2 million - but they're giving birth to over 8% of the babies born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top