Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 03:15 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
This isn't about value, this is about the law. When people come here illegally and take our jobs away, I am going to get ticked off!

Didn't you read the thread title? Your response doesn't even make sense.
Nobody owns a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 03:18 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Nobody owns a job.
Duh! Again, that is not the point. The point of this thread is that illegals are taking away jobs from Americans.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:20 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,113 times
Quote:
This isn't about value, this is about the law. When people come here illegally and take our jobs away, I am going to get ticked off!

Didn't you read the thread title? Your response doesn't even make sense.
Cool story. If you don't want to talk economics, then don't cite economic arguments. You can always just say "it's illegal!" over and over like everyone else.

Jobs don't "belong" to someone in any real sense. If I have a willingness to pay someone to do my laundry, you don't have any claim to that job just because you kinda want it and are an American.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:21 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
I don't consider Americans inherently more important than non-Americans, so I am not particularly interested in this sort of argument.
Okay, leave out who is actually doing the work (Americans or non-Americans). Think about what happens to the money that they earn. 99.99% of what an American earns will be injected into the US economy. Mexican workers send most of it back to Mexico. $21.27 billion in remittances were sent to Mexico in 2010.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:21 PM

403 posts, read 334,052 times
Quote:
How do I know? Because he only paid his architect $2K which is pretty darn cheap to design an addition. How do I know? Because I've have multiple conversations with the guy running the project who has told me he is not being paid nearly enough for what he is doing. And the guy who isn't being paid enough for what he is doing (who is Mexican and here legally) was in charge of hiring the other Mexicans who built the house who did not speak English and had their Mexican music on during the process for all to hear.

Oh, and how else do I know I am dealing with someone who is not above board? It could be the several IRS liens filed against him in the past for non payment of taxes. It's amazing what one can find out on the Internets.
So you agree that what may or may not be "going on" is not self-evident?

Old 07-18-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Duh! Again, that is not the point. The point of this thread is that illegals are taking away jobs from Americans.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Cool story. If you don't want to talk economics, then don't cite economic arguments. You can always just say "it's illegal!" over and over like everyone else.

Jobs don't "belong" to someone in any real sense. If I have a willingness to pay someone to do my laundry, you don't have any claim to that job just because you kinda want it and are an American.
And if I kinda suspect you are paying an illegal to do your laundry, I just might have a willingness to pick up the phone and report you.

See, this is half the problem. Employers should be held to task for employing illegals. But because they are cheaper they take the risk. In the end, Americans lose out.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:24 PM

403 posts, read 334,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Nobody owns a job.
Quote:

Old 07-18-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Okay, leave out who is actually doing the work (Americans or non-Americans). Think about what happens to the money that they earn. 99.99% of what an American earns will be injected into the US economy. Mexican workers send most of it back to Mexico. $21.27 billion in remittances were sent to Mexico in 2010.
Maybe you should read the post you're responding to a little more closely. Let it sink in.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
So you agree that what may or may not be "going on" is not self-evident?
Let's just say...to anyone with common sense it should be evident.

Or maybe you don't live in a state impacted by this problem so that is why you take the view of the issue as you do. I do live in a place impacted by this problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration