Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 01:26 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
You're not even addressing the methods they use. You're just restating over and over again: "They don't specifically ask if they are an illegal immigrant so there is no way a statistician can estimate illegals!" They do have methods of estimating illegals still.

For instance:

Please explain the errors in PEW's methodology in this study:

http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/126.pdf
Coming off the night shift and suffering a fair amount of dead grey matter but how exactly do they generate their estimates? based on what supporting data? I tried to see it but Obviously I missed something here.
I am not contesting the numbers they claim because who really knows? It would seem that thier guess is as valid as anyone elses. keeping in mind I am not at all convinced that these estimates are at all accurate. its not as if there is check point illegals stop at on their way into our country and when they leave.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:28 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
The gov't doesn't estimate the number of illegals, PEW does. Perhaps you would be better to start by reading the piece I linked, then read the section titled: Methodology where they explain how they came to estimate the number of illegals instead of continued spewing of nonsensical blathering.
So, now Pew is the authority on the number of illegals in this country? Do tell. Do they have booths at the borders where they count the number of illegals entering and exiting each day? Get real. Pew has as much knowledge of the number of illegals in this country as the proverbial Man in the Moon.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:30 PM

951 posts, read 745,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
So, now Pew is the authority on the number of illegals in this country? Do tell. Do they have booths at the borders where they count the number of illegals entering and exiting each day? Get real. Pew has as much knowledge of the number of illegals in this country as the proverbial Man in the Moon.
So you have no retort on their methodology then. I mean, I thought you started this thread to expose the truth. Your doing a good job so far....of looking more and more like a 911 truther type.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
So you have no retort on their methodology then. I mean, I thought you started this thread to expose the truth. Your doing a good job so far....of looking more and more like a 911 truther type.
Their methodology is irrelevant. It doesn’t matter what method they use to arrive at their estimates, if they are using bogus data. According to your posted link, their data source is the federal government. Need I say more?

Old 07-23-2011, 01:36 PM

What census data is bogus?

Old 07-23-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Hellllooooo! The Census Bureau has no data on illegal aliens. So, tell me how they can estimate the number of illegal aliens in this country. Again, they can’t.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
To be fair benicar their guess is as likely to be as accurate as anyone elses. In other words not at all, but that makes it just as fair to use it as a sourse.
This is my who beef with anyone claiming to have a net benefit or loss claim. How do they know? They can't. But I would submit that criminals cost society more than law abiding citizens. Both sides recognize that many illegals commit ID theft. Its established that ID theft costs the nation billions to deal with. Not to mention the personal hardship of having your credit damaged and having to repair and rebuild afterwards. Some might argue that they pay into social security and the victim will reap the benefits of it. Thats possible but what if the victims are middle class and above and will max out ss on their own? What benefit is it then? What about due to tax reporting descrepencies they have the pleasure of an IRS audit? We all know how friendly the IRS is when they sniff an opprotunity to harrass a citizen.
Bottom line is accurat count or not I find it difficult to believe anyone can generate an accurate cost gain or loss. best to error on the side of because they are involved in numerous crimes they are costing us money.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
How does the census data determine the number of illegals when that question wasnt asked?

Old 07-23-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
To be fair benicar their guess is as likely to be as accurate as anyone elses. In other words not at all, but that makes it just as fair to use it as a sourse.
This is my who beef with anyone claiming to have a net benefit or loss claim. How do they know? They can't. But I would submit that criminals cost society more than law abiding citizens. Both sides recognize that many illegals commit ID theft. Its established that ID theft costs the nation billions to deal with. Not to mention the personal hardship of having your credit damaged and having to repair and rebuild afterwards. Some might argue that they pay into social security and the victim will reap the benefits of it. Thats possible but what if the victims are middle class and above and will max out ss on their own? What benefit is it then? What about due to tax reporting descrepencies they have the pleasure of an IRS audit? We all know how friendly the IRS is when they sniff an opprotunity to harrass a citizen.
Bottom line is accurat count or not I find it difficult to believe anyone can generate an accurate cost gain or loss. best to error on the side of because they are involved in numerous crimes they are costing us money.
This is pretty awesome. After telling Benicar we can't know for sure you then take it all back by stating that we should error on the side of caution because they ARE costing us money.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Hellllooooo! The Census Bureau has no data on illegal aliens. So, tell me how they can estimate the number of illegal aliens in this country. Again, they can’t.

Sure they can. What information are they getting from the census data that is bogus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
How does the census data determine the number of illegals when that question wasnt asked?

You didn't read the report or methodology either obviously. To get you guys to stop looking absolutely retarded since it's obvious you won't read anything, I'll cut to the point. What data do you think they are actually using off the census report?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration