Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:36 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,210,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Failing to punish is rewarding I admit that I believe this. Why? Because you have spared them the accountability for their actions.
In Bold.
I am sure every criminal in history has shared your belief.
But what makes them bad? That they restrict people you feel deserve easy access? That we have a standard for immigration that you feel is too high?
I honestly don't know and I am not mocking you.
I don't believe that I should be required to pay school taxes. I don't have children in school and when I did I feel the public education system was poor at best. Especially in regards to my autistic child. If I don't pay I will be held accountable. If when caught I don't come up with the money a sheriffs sale will strip me of what I have worked for. So I pay up. The illegals in question made the choice to ignore the laws. Just as every criminal does. Our system isnt nor should it be determined by what the prospective immigrants agree with.
If you truly believe that you should not have to pay, that is a tacit admission that you believe that if the government chose not to enforce that law, at least in your case, the world would be a slightly better place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 08:45 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
If you truly believe that you should not have to pay, that is a tacit admission that you believe that if the government chose not to enforce that law, at least in your case, the world would be a slightly better place.
Not at all. My point is for every law that is written someone doesn't agree with it. Do we simply ignore the laws we are less than satisfied with?
I pay the taxes because although I believe its wasteful and ill spent money I have no desire to forfeit what I have worked for.
We can work to change laws we disagree with thats allowed by our constitution. But to arbitrarily pick and chose which ones we will obey and disregard the rest? That would be chaos. Im really sure if we went to that system the illegals would have it much worse than they already do. Texans might take the castle doctrine to a whole new level.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Not at all. My point is for every law that is written someone doesn't agree with it. Do we simply ignore the laws we are less than satisfied with?
I pay the taxes because although I believe its wasteful and ill spent money I have no desire to forfeit what I have worked for.
We can work to change laws we disagree with thats allowed by our constitution. But to arbitrarily pick and chose which ones we will obey and disregard the rest? That would be chaos. Im really sure if we went to that system the illegals would have it much worse than they already do. Texans might take the castle doctrine to a whole new level.
You are having a completely different discussion. What you're discussing is the consequences of individuals ignoring laws. Clearly that is going to tend toward a negative effect on the individual in many cases.

What I'm talking about, and what is relevant here, are the consequences of lessened enforcement.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
You are having a completely different discussion. What you're discussing is the consequences of individuals ignoring laws. Clearly that is going to tend toward a negative effect on the individual in many cases.

What I'm talking about, and what is relevant here, are the consequences of lessened enforcement.
or absence of the enforcement. allowing illegals to escape the consequences for the crimes they have committed is not lessoned enforcement it is an absence of enforcement. They should at the very least be required to exit the country and follow the procedures to enter legally. Their applications should begin at the end of the line.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:20 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,016 times
Quote:
or absence of the enforcement. allowing illegals to escape the consequences for the crimes they have committed is not lessoned enforcement it is an absence of enforcement. They should at the very least be required to exit the country and follow the procedures to enter legally. Their applications should begin at the end of the line.
So if we legalize weed, everyone should have to first flush any weed they currently own down the toilet and then buy new, magically "GOOD" weed that is blessed by the authorities? Otherwise we'd be rewarding people?

Old 08-07-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
If there is less enforcement, then the consequences are necessarily lesser. There are TONS of laws that are routinely treated in this fashion.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:26 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,360 times
Yes. They should be punished.

But I admit my bias as I am one of the real people who has been affected by the abominable situation.

And I will probably continue to stew about my treatment at the hands of those queen beeoyches at the Wild Pear, which I won't go into again here as I've already posted about the horrible experience several times already.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
So if we legalize weed, everyone should have to first flush any weed they currently own down the toilet and then buy new, magically "GOOD" weed that is blessed by the authorities? Otherwise we'd be rewarding people?
completely different and not even remotely applicable.
Now if you said those arrested for weed before the law was changed should still have to pay the fines and serve their sentences you would be correct.
In the case of the illegals.
We have millions of applicants waiting in line for their opprotunity. People who respected our laws and this nation enough to do it legally.
How can we in all fairness or in justice give a free pass to proven criminals? Especially since many applicants have been disqualified for less. If anything every single illegal has already proven themselves unworthy of a VISA. The exception being the children brought here by their parents. They had no choice. That said they should also be expected to do it the right way.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:57 PM

335 posts, read 328,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
So if we make them legal then they won't be "stealing" jobs anymore, right?
If we "make them legal", we'd be rewarding foreigners for violating our laws, which would be an illogical thing for us to do.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:58 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,016 times
Quote:
Now if you said those arrested for weed before the law was changed should still have to pay the fines and serve their sentences you would be correct.
Wow, really? If weed were legalized you would really want those in jail for simple possession to stay in there? It seems to me that weed legalization would necessarily occur with an admission that the current prohibition is an immoral restriction of individual liberty. In such a case, an immediate release of all those convicted of such "crimes" seems to be the only humane and logical course of action.

The only explanation I can think of for wanting those in prison to serve out the remainder of their sentences in the event of legalization is that you have a warped worldview where rules are more important than principles by which the rules are derived.

Of course, that seems to be the starting point for most of the people here, given the frequency of the "ITS THE LAW" argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration